Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Freestanding hs training question

Warrior'sSuite

Warrior'sSuite

I just wanted to ask if, when training the hs freestanding on the floor, since i still fall, sometimes, before completing the set time, if i should just start the set over or just get back into it and rest until i complete it.

For example lets say i get into a hs, hold it for 15s but then fall, should i get back into it and keep counting where i left off (15s) until i do my time, or should i start over until i hold the set without falling.

When I train, if I want to hold a 30s handstand and fail at 15s, I'll do it again from the beginning until I hold a 30s handstand.

I think Blairbob was trying to say that too :)

Warrior'sSuite
When I train, if I want to hold a 30s handstand and fail at 15s, I'll do it again from the beginning until I hold a 30s handstand.

I think Blairbob was trying to say that too :)

Well right now i'm doing 3 sets of 25s and am pretty close to take it up to 30s sets, start maybe next week, so what if i fall anywhere from 1-5 seconds shy of the time?

You are over thinking this one.

If your goal is 30 seconds, then every time you go up try to hold for 30 regardless of what happened the previous set.

Warrior'sSuite
You are over thinking this one.

If your goal is 30 seconds, then every time you go up try to hold for 30 regardless of what happened the previous set.

Didn't you read? I do 3 sets, not 1. If my goal were to do only 1 set of 30s i wouldn't be asking anything.

You're getting free advice, use your head before you bark, i will add some words to my previous answer out of politeness.

Its your choice, do THREE sets to the goal time or as long as you can, if you come down early, fine go to the next set try for the goal time do that 3 times.

OR

Keep going up and only count the sets you manage to hold for the goal time, even if it takes 100 tries.

For freestanding work making up the difference between a failed rep and your goal won't really help anything. So every attempt should be to achieve the goal time, succeed or fail.

The reality is there's nobody keeping track of what you do, set a goal, if you're satisfied you achieved it that's all that matters.

Warrior'sSuite
You're getting free advice, use your head before you bark, i will add some words to my previous answer out of politeness.

Its your choice, do THREE sets to the goal time or as long as you can, if you come down early, fine go to the next set try for the goal time do that 3 times.

OR

Keep going up and only count the sets you manage to hold for the goal time, even if it takes 100 tries.

For freestanding work making up the difference between a failed rep and your goal won't really help anything. So every attempt should be to achieve the goal time, succeed or fail.

The reality is there's nobody keeping track of what you do, set a goal, if you're satisfied you achieved it that's all that matters.

I knew that post would come off as rude lol, after all, you can't tell the tone in words ;) I didn't mean to come off as a prick but i guess i got careless and didn't clarify.

Alright, thanks, that's what i'll do.

Joshua Naterman

Don't sweat it, I've certainly been rude on accident before as well. It happens.

I think the most important thing to remember is to make sure that even if you fall over at 15s that those 15s were as perfect as you could make them. As long as you do that, your freestanding attempts will get better and better all the time.

Don't forget to do some bodyline work on the wall at the beginning of each session, it really helps! Just doing a set or two of stomach to wall handstands for a little while at the beginning can make a huge difference.

Warrior'sSuite
Don't sweat it, I've certainly been rude on accident before as well. It happens.

I think the most important thing to remember is to make sure that even if you fall over at 15s that those 15s were as perfect as you could make them. As long as you do that, your freestanding attempts will get better and better all the time.

Don't forget to do some bodyline work on the wall at the beginning of each session, it really helps! Just doing a set or two of stomach to wall handstands for a little while at the beginning can make a huge difference.

Up to a few days ago i was always using the wall when doing the hs, but i would never support against it. I would just walk up to it, get in position, and then push off and hold it free without touching the wall the whole time. Most of the time i was able to hold the entire set but somtimes i had to push again with my feet.

The thing that i didn't like was that, when doing it with the wall, holding it free was actually kind of easy and most of the time i was able to hold it. But then when i tried doing one free on the floor, it was like i wasn't even training hs at all, it even felt different when i managed to hold it for a while. That's why i just decided to forget about using the wall and just start doing it without because that's how you're going to be doing it anyways.

But i don't know if i should stick with the wall still. I don't know if, when i can do sets of say 40s each, doing it on the floor will be easier.

I may just go back to using the wall because i get incredibly pissed everytime i'm in a free hs and i fall back, or when i'm like at 20~ seconds and then i fall, or when i even have trouble getting into the damn thing, i don't know why but i get incredibly angry!

i know that feeling.

Some variety is good. I have little routines, various forms of assistance, wall, pb, band hanging from a high bar and freestanding. I do circuits of each. Its helping, but for many, like myself, the road to a consistent hs is a long one.

The body line work was a crucial element for me. It took me 5 steps back, because i'd learned a very arched hs. Getting that fixed was very hard so late into doing hs.

Joshua Naterman

Yes, fixing the bodyline is hard when you have really learned an arched HS well.

There are a lot of things you can do, but your endurance work will always be on the wall because you're never going to be able to do a freestanding HS as long as you can do a wall HS, plain and simple!

Are you using stomach to wall when you are practicing on the wall?

I definitely agree that you need a lot of freestanding work, and it is always going to be a work in progress. I will tell you this much though: I have not been working HS directly, just HSPU with perfect form and a ton of shoulder prehab. Mid/lower trap work, external rotation, and hollow hold and side planks. Having not practiced actual HS in months, I held one for about a minute on the basketball court. I took a step here and there, but they were controlled. I have also started phasing in a different kind of hand push up exercise that as far as I know I invented, but I haven't done enough of that for it to make any kind of a difference yet. Anyways, that is a big improvement that I believe comes from the improved shoulder stability and strength.

Plain and simple, if you are expecting positive results from any kind of upper body exercise, even bicep curls, you need to be doing constant mid/lower trap work. Turkish get-ups are also good, as are bent presses and triangle presses. All of these improve shoulder control.

Bent press you can google, and triangle press is basically just starting with feet straddled and a weight overhead and bending at the HIPS until your body is parallel with the ground, just like in a get up. These may help your shoulder control quite a bit, which can really help your handstands. Also, being extremely aware of your hips is important. Hope that helps.

Warrior'sSuite
Yes, fixing the bodyline is hard when you have really learned an arched HS well.

I did a free hs test right now and taped myself and it looks like it's very straight, i don't think it's arched at all, and that was freestanding, i think i can do it a bit better on the wall.

It's denitely nothing like e.g. Hitman's handstand, his is very arched, maybe not very, but it is arched.

There are a lot of things you can do, but your endurance work will always be on the wall because you're never going to be able to do a freestanding HS as long as you can do a wall HS, plain and simple!

When you say wall handstand, do you mean with your feet resting against the wall?

Are you using stomach to wall when you are practicing on the wall?

Absolutely, since day 1. I never do back to the wall version, except when i do partial HSPU's of course.

I definitely agree that you need a lot of freestanding work, and it is always going to be a work in progress. I will tell you this much though: I have not been working HS directly, just HSPU with perfect form and a ton of shoulder prehab. Mid/lower trap work, external rotation, and hollow hold and side planks. Having not practiced actual HS in months, I held one for about a minute on the basketball court. I took a step here and there, but they were controlled. I have also started phasing in a different kind of hand push up exercise that as far as I know I invented, but I haven't done enough of that for it to make any kind of a difference yet. Anyways, that is a big improvement that I believe comes from the improved shoulder stability and strength.

What is that exercise? Could you show it?

Plain and simple, if you are expecting positive results from any kind of upper body exercise, even bicep curls, you need to be doing constant mid/lower trap work. Turkish get-ups are also good, as are bent presses and triangle presses. All of these improve shoulder control.

Bent press you can google, and triangle press is basically just starting with feet straddled and a weight overhead and bending at the HIPS until your body is parallel with the ground, just like in a get up. These may help your shoulder control quite a bit, which can really help your handstands. Also, being extremely aware of your hips is important. Hope that helps.

First time i hear about those exercises so i'm going to look them up lol...