Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Wrists endurance (including Wrist Pushups pt.1)

Guest Brusi

So, looking into the prehab and prep work to give this stuff a legitimate trial.

Wrist pushups are rough. So much that I can't even do them from my knees, I kind of have to hover on my hands and knees over it while I do it. It's more like half push ups + wrist extensions.

First knuckles: Lack of flexibility here means that the angle between my hand and fingers is ~60 degrees.

Jason Stein

Shaf,

The other technique that might be helpful is to elevate your hands, with your knees on the floor. Even put your wrists on a wall/box/mat/blanket.

For a while I did this angled onto some stall mats leaned against the wall because I couldn't support my weight on my wrists, even on my knees.

However, patient persistent work paid off.

The prehab stuff can be a big ego check. It's not like a barbell, either you lift the weight or you don't. My mind insisted I should be able to perform at a certain level, although my body quite clearly couldn't.

best,

j

Neal Winkler

You should be able to do the wrist pushups on your knees if you pike your hips a whole bunch. You can pike your hips enough that the weight it almost nothing.

Shaf,

The other technique that might be helpful is to elevate your hands, with your knees on the floor. Even put your wrists on a wall/box/mat/blanket.

For a while I did this angled onto some stall mats leaned against the wall because I couldn't support my weight on my wrists, even on my knees.

However, patient persistent work paid off.

The prehab stuff can be a big ego check. It's not like a barbell, either you lift the weight or you don't. My mind insisted I should be able to perform at a certain level, although my body quite clearly couldn't.

best,

j

Interesting. Might have to try.

Did a bunch of the wrist stuff on Ido & Coaches videos.

Found that during my first attempts at holding HS's (10s x 2 at the end of my session) my weakest link were the wrists and also the fleshy portion of the palm under my thumb (turned red).

Any suggestions..? Or I just go with this slow & steady.

I had once done half a semester of Aikodo classes. They focussed big time on wrist flexibility moves before we start. Any thoughts on having those / using those here?

• 4 months later...
Philipp Hornung

I think it's probably a dumb question to ask, but when performing Wrist Pushups, which I - as yet - do on knees, how is the starting position of the phalanges?

cimg0488e.th.jpg vs. cimg0489k.th.jpg

Or doesn't it even matter at all?

P.S.: I positioned my thumb this way for the photo!

I think it's probably a dumb question to ask, but when performing Wrist Pushups, which I - as yet - do on knees, how is the starting position of the phalanges?

The second photo shows the preferable position. And, again the key to wrist push-ups is patience. The amount you improve with it every time you do it is immeasurable, but in the long run (about a year's time) you see it get a lot easier. Even after a year of doing them, I can only do them on my knees with no pike for 10 reps x3, but that is a huge improvement over what I could do 6 months ago, not to mention when I first started.

The second photo shows the preferable position. And, again the key to wrist push-ups is patience. The amount you improve with it every time you do it is immeasurable, but in the long run (about a year's time) you see it get a lot easier. Even after a year of doing them, I can only do them on my knees with no pike for 10 reps x3, but that is a huge improvement over what I could do 6 months ago, not to mention when I first started.

I'm glad to hear that, they seem pretty far off right now, but i see that slowly its possible to add more weight.

I just realized that i don't do the sequence nearly enough, and am adding it to the warm ups now.

Joshua Naterman

I have found that doing these standing and leaning against a wall is an excellent, excellent way to scale this movement. Very easy to control the resistance.

• 4 weeks later...
Or doesn't it even matter at all?

It doesn't matter as the primary focus for this exercise is on the extension and flexion of the wrist and not the fingers.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• 3 months later...
Gerald Mangona

My question is this. With regard to the dorsal pushups, outside of the freakishly amazing flexibility one needs to internally rotate your hands and forearms 180 degrees, how do these work the wrists/forearms? I ask not out of curiosity, but just to make sure I'm doing them right. I can only rotate just over 90-100 degrees internally, and right now it just feels like a diamond pushup, stressing the triceps where the insert into the elbow.

Is that what they're supposed to do?

Thanks! -JMan

• 1 month later...

Wrist push-ups hurt the top of my hand (the side towards the floor).

Do I have to keep going or should I try to make the exercise easier?

Alexander Svensson
Wrist push-ups hurt the top of my hand (the side towards the floor).

Do I have to keep going or should I try to make the exercise easier?

Do them on a yoga mat or a folded up towel, of course it's gonna hurt if you do them directly on the floor. If that doesn't help, scale down.

• 2 years later...
Guest rival11

I know this thread may be a bit old but since I have been struggling with wrist issues when it comes to planche (pinpointed this problem when I realized that I can finally lift my legs off the ground while in a straddle planche position but find I lose all focus because of my balance loss and minor discomfort in the wrists) I wanted to post this video here.

The reason for the video is that it perfectly demonstrates Coach Sommer's example of reducing strain/pressure and preventing injury by "piking the hips and pressing the glutes backward during the descent of the movement." as he mentioned previously in this thread. David Durante (guy in the video) starts by showing you the full wrist pushup then the progressions to get there.

There is also a nice little maltese training bonus towards the end if you're interested:

http://youtu.be/27Nqg0ySjHw