Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Programming Rope Climbing

Travis

Hey folks. For the entire summer I've been following an almost purely gymnastic and bodyweight routine involving rings and parallettes, so obviously this website fits my bill. Thanks a lot, Coach Sommer. Onto the query:

I just bought some climbing rope and eye-spliced it. Now I'm wondering how best to incorporate it into my current routine. I'm a complete beginner, and still find rope climbing pretty tough. The hardest part is coming back down. The branches I can hang it from in my yard are nowhere near twenty feet, which is adequate for now.

What is a good scheme for beginning rope climbing? I can climb between 10 and 15 feet, which is one way to scale it down. But how many sets of climbing should I include in a session? I'm not sure how to quantify it as easily as single reps or hold times.

Guest jumpupandfly

I'm interested to hear what other people say, but when I do this in a workout I usually do 3-4 climbs, I guess they would be called reps.

You can make things a little more difficult if you don't use your legs and go up in a pike or straddle.

On the way down I usually do cirque attempts, those crazy holds (I think coach described them on the WOD page)

Oh one more thing, if they ever get too easy and you want it higher, keep in mind you can always do two laps without touching the ground, that would be a good progression I guess.

cheers :D

Coach Sommer

Rope Climbing Frequency

When and how often you climb rope is actually a matter of personal preference. I have had excellent results having my athletes perform one difficult rope climb (often for multiple non-stop laps) daily, but we have also enjoyed excellent results from climbing once per week but with a greater number of sets.

The most important point regarding rope climbing is that, regardless of the training schedule that you follow, do not over indulge. Listen to and respect any messages of over training that your elbows may be sending you. When in doubt; rest. Failure to give your elbows adequate time to adjust to the new demands that you are placing upon them will result in a very annoying case of elbow tendonitis.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Thanks for the help. I already climb without legs (which is what makes it so difficult!). Cirques I'm holding off on until I get better at simple ascent and descent, and to spare my elbows. For now I might climb twice a week, starting small and as my body allows. Thanks again.