Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Elbow/wrist Prehab Routine

Cole Dano

The PE1 of wrist pushups hits where I used to get tennis elbow very hard, so I definitely agree there is carry over from wrist prep to elbow prep. As far as I'm aware from my very basic anatomy knowledge, the forearm muscles attach to the medial and lateral epicondyles?

Keilani Gutierrez

The PE1 of wrist pushups hits where I used to get tennis elbow very hard, so I definitely agree there is carry over from wrist prep to elbow prep. As far as I'm aware from my very basic anatomy knowledge, the forearm muscles attach to the medial and lateral epicondyles?

don't know that much but a rehash at my notes is the lateral epicondyles. (probably should been more specific and said originate instead of insert[because goldeneagle is right, it doesnt insert but originate in the lateral epicondyle which is on the humerus.])

when in doubt and discussing anatomy, always use the correct terms ^_^ #lessonlearned

ROBERT Burtchell

I figure I'd post here instead of starting a new thread...

Lately I've been working on better form with my tuck planch and l-sits. I've been trying to get my elbow pits forward more and create a more hollow body position, but now my forearms, pinky side about 3-4in down, have been in a lot of pain with I take pressure off my holds. I use paralettes for my training on those holds, and thought maybe I was gripping too hard. I started doing them on the floor and now the pain is back even more so. Any tips?

so....illuminate me then ^_^ doesn't the Extensor Digitorum insert into the elbow or did i misunderstand that?

Did I ever say in any of my previous post that the "Elbow doesn't have any muscle running through it."

My reply to you wasn't arguing your implied knowledge of the elbow but rather stating the fact that I have had to study anatomy for two different professions. If I wanted to look up something on anatomy. I can find the information in the books I have kept from my schooling or the anatomy app I have on my phone.

Keilani Gutierrez

Did I ever say in any of my previous post that the "Elbow doesn't have any muscle running through it."

My reply to you wasn't arguing your implied knowledge of the elbow but rather stating the fact that I have had to study anatomy for two different professions. If I wanted to look up something on anatomy. I can find the information in the books I have kept from my schooling or the anatomy app I have on my phone.

maybe i got the wrong impression when you said "wrist pushups arent prehab for your elbow" and "i am way ahead of you in anatomy" so maybe i got the wrong impression. my apologies :)
  • Upvote 1

Both, more than likely. Don't be so aggressive with the wrist push ups. There isn't any muscle in the wrist joints it is all bone and tendon.

No, wrist push ups aren't prehab for the elbows.

Edit:

There are nerves, arteries and veins that run through the wrists it not just bone and tendons.

i actually meant the video at the beginning of this thread, not wrist push ups.  sorry for the confusion.

ill ask again more clearly.  how good is the video in the beginning of this thread for elbows?  will it help the elbow tension i feel when i do straight arm work like planche and l-sit go away eventually?  or will it just take time for my elbows to adjust to the load to where they feel normal when doing straight arm work?

Keilani Gutierrez

i actually meant the video at the beginning of this thread, not wrist push ups. sorry for the confusion.

ill ask again more clearly. how good is the video in the beginning of this thread for elbows? will it help the elbow tension i feel when i do straight arm work like planche and l-sit go away eventually? or will it just take time for my elbows to adjust to the load to where they feel normal when doing straight arm work?

hard for me to say, perhaps you can talk to a knowledgable coach and/or a health professional

Daniel Burnham

Mild Discomfort is ok. Pain is not. Approach straight arm work slowly. If you are feeling a great deal of tension consider backing off and building volume where you have no pain. The increase intensity later.

Do not try to continue in pain expecting it to just clear up.

no pain just tension.  i can recreate the tension by locking my arm out straight in front of me and tensing my muscles, not to the same degree though.

theres only tension in the locked out position.

• 3 weeks later...

How often should i do normal 3 way wrist stretches as well as these prehab stretches? I do prehab stretches 3x/week with medium tension and was wondering what a good routine is.

• 3 months later...
Keilani Gutierrez

V3nom, I did these(the exact) sequence every single time I did a workout(ranging from 5 times a week, to 3 times a week)

after doing these for a while without any loading, I began doing them loaded recently. I do them specifically in my H1 days(since it requires so much wrist work/time on your wrists. 

YMMV( there are forum members here whose warm up is more intense than my workout, so give them a go and find your sweet spot.) 

• Upvote 2

Jon Douglas

Twice a week is fine for me now, I don't have any wrist issues, popping or creaks despite GST and hitting the bags most days.

It can potentially take a little while to work up to this. More often/less intense is generally better to rehab an existing issue. There is no point strengthening the movement if you are working from a deficit (str/mob)

• 6 months later...
StretchArmstrong

i've found that tacking with some voodoo floss (or bicycle tire if you're cheap like me) really breaks up the tissue well and gets blood flowing in areas that i have trouble with (knees, elbows).  plenty of vids on youtube and mobility wod about how to use it.

• 3 months later...

Are these recommended / good for before starting our F1 sets for the day? 

I do something similar for a yoga warmup

• Coach Sommer unpinned this topic