Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Elbow/wrist Prehab Routine

Cole Dano

if i am feeling wrist/elbow/or forearm tendon pain, and this helps, how many times a day should i do it?

You can do it as often as you want.

I find it better to do one set at various times throughout the day rather than one session of multiple sets. It only takes a minute or two to go through.

Joshua Naterman
You can do it as often as you want.

I find it better to do one set at various times throughout the day rather than one session of multiple sets. It only takes a minute or two to go through.

Me too, I do rehab stuff all the time.

• 2 weeks later...
I wrote down the routine so I don't have to watch the video each time I do it.

A1. Elbow Straight Palm facing Down Wrist Extended Curl Fingers

A1. Elbow Straight Palm facing Down Wrist Curled Curl Fingers

A2. Elbow Straight Palm facing Up Wrist Extended Extend Fingers

A2. Elbow Straight Palm facing Up Wrist Curled Curl Fingers

B1. Elbow Bent Palm facing Me Wrist Extended Extend Fingers

B1. Elbow Bent Palm facing Me Wrist Curled Curl Fingers

B2. Elbow Bent Palm facing Away Wrist Extended Extend Fingers

B2. Elbow Bent Palm facing Away Wrist Curled Curl Fingers

Minor correction to the table above (very helpful by the way), first line should read

A1. Elbow Straight Palm facing Down Wrist Extended Extend Fingers

Can't seem to highlight my correction, but it is to extend the fingers in that line. It appears the key to all the movements is maximum range of motion. I am hoping these movements will help me with a sore elbow.

If it helps the exact order is not critical in this. I think its good to do the opposite extending and flexing movements in pairs though.

Once you get the basic pattern down there is room to experiment with variations as well and the original author Cory encourages this.

• 1 month later...
Mark Carbaugh

Hey everyone!

Just wanted to say how great this worked for quickly recovering an incredibly sore wrist and as a side benefit increasing my grip stregth too. Do this once a day and is easy to incorporate.-Thanks

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
Paul SONNEVILLE

Hello there,

It's my first post on the forum, although I took time to carefully read (and reread) many useful posts here.

So, I just found a clip on YouTube that kind of reminded me the wrist routine from Coach, here it is :

Do you guy think this can be used as a prehab wrist exercice in the routine, too ?

To say the least, I've been a rock climber for years before I started gymnastics since September... and I had to quite due to heavy tendinitis and several cysts that pressed on my nerves (I still have to undergo surgery for the last one, that prevent me from doing proper handstands on the floor, have to use parallels bars, due to the pain), and I really need heavy preparation on the wrists since mines are in quite a bad shape, although quite powerful, too.

Thanks in advance !

PS : I'll do my best with my English so that I can be understood (since I am not the native speaker), but If you guys don't understand me please feel free to ask what I meant with more precisions !

Do so at your own peril.

I used to do similar pushups to these in Okinawan Karate. In fact I often still will do palm to kakuto (heel of the wrist) hopping pushups but I built up some decent flexibility in my wrists in those days. I'm sure we used some sort of progression but that was half a lifetime ago. Some people used the wall but I only remember using the wall for one knuckle pushups and 2 thumb pushup variations. So I probably just did them on knees for awhile.

I think there is a clip of Jackie Chan doing something similar to this on youtube somewhere. It was brought up once.

• 2 weeks later...
Paul SONNEVILLE

Hello there,

I wanted to share this experience with you.

I had a cyst in the right wrist that I would have to undergo surgery to remove, and now it greatly decreased in size, allowing me to have almost all of my ROM in the right wrist back !!

The only thing I can think of is the wrist routine, since I started to use those multiple routines recently, so I won't say that the wrist routines may be a way of healing tendons injuries such as cysts, but I am positive that it helps a lot.

If someone have similar feedback, I'll would be delighted to know !

Hope this could help anyone here,

PSon.

Joshua Naterman

It is possible, but cysts commonly vary in size over time and sometimes disappear for seemingly no reason. I am just glad your wrist is doing better! You obviously aren't hurting anything so keep it up!

• 1 month later...
Back2Basics78

I was wondering if someone could post a link to the video because it doesn't seem to be coming up when I view the post..just a empty white box.

Appreciate it.

Do you mean the first video in the thread? If so try again or a differnt browser perhaps, it shows for me so i assume it's an issue on your end.

Here is the YouTube link though -

• 1 month later...

I'd like to add to this thread that I've had great success with these exercise routines. I recently had trouble with golfer's elbows and came to the forum again (obviously inactive) looking for help. I found this again and gave it a go.

From this I've finally learned the value of the SSC and prehab. I now use the first video as a warm up with some of slizzardman's videos for ring preparation, as I don't do much else these days.

Thanks again for everything, everyone!

• 1 year later...

i have wrist pain in my left hand i think came from handstand work and aggressive wrist pushup routine.  ive had it before but after a week of letting it rest it always went away.

now it wont go away after several weeks.  ive tried icing multiple times a day with no results other than a cold wrist.

ive already started doing this last week but was wondering if i should keep doing it because it hurts when i do it.  plus i do it with the right hand as well and i feel like my right wrist is getting sore from these.

am i doing them too aggressively or too often?  any tips for my situation?  thanks.

What is an 'aggressive' wp routine?

Chances are it is too aggressive too often; you can work up to quite a bit of daily volume in these but if you rush it it's pointless

i did wp once a week against the wall, 5 sets of 10.  i started out 24" from the wall and increased 6" every week until i was 36" from the wall.

i didnt do the full pushup, just the wrist curl part.  i wanted to save that part of the exercise until i started doing them on my knees with piked hips.

was this too much each session, too fast of a progression, or both?  its always uncomfortable to do wp, on the verge on hurting, but not painful, more like stressful.  its felt like that when i started doing them 24" from the wall.

and the pain didnt show up until days after.

I don't quite understand, how did you do them that you were moving further from a wall?

5*10 is a lot, but once a week I wouldn't expect it to be too bad unless your wrists are in need of some serious love.

Are you doing those with a pushup or straight arms? Straight arms (elbows I mean) puts all the strain onto the wrists, so it is more stressful than with a pushup movement.

In a general sort of way Id recommend you going to kneeling wrist pushups, although that could change based on what you're actually doing now. Id also drop the volume to just a couple sets if you're going to do 10r sets-- the wrists will get plenty of endurance work in your str training, focus on range of motion and then loading the range of motion heavier with these :)

Hope that helps. H1, if its an option for you, contains a full wrist series that has done very well by me

i used a tape measure to move my feet away from the wall to increase the intensity of the wp.

i did it with straight arms.

well i use push up bars with l-sit and planche work because i could do it longer, flat palm on the ground and i couldnt last long enough to feel a benefit.

id like h1 but im on a budget right now.

oh btw my wrist is feeling 99% healed right now.  i wonder if it was from this wrist prehab or healing in general? :)

how good is this prehab for elbows?

ive noticed tension in my elbows from doing straight arm work suck as l-sit and plance.  its not a pain but more of a weird feeling ive never had in all my life, like i said a tension.

i read somewhere else on the forum that its normal when starting this type of work and that it goes away eventually and i noticed that this prehab exercise puts that same tension on my elbows.

is that normal or am i doing them too hard?

i wonder if it was from this wrist prehab or healing in general? :)

Both, more than likely. Don't be so aggressive with the wrist push ups. There isn't any muscle in the wrist joints it is all bone and tendon.

how good is this prehab for elbows?

No, wrist push ups aren't prehab for the elbows.

Edit:

There are nerves, arteries and veins that run through the wrists it not just bone and tendons.

Edited by GoldenEagle
  • Upvote 1

Keilani Gutierrez

Both, more than likely. Don't be so aggressive with the wrist push ups. There isn't any muscle in the wrist joints it is all bone and tendon.

No, wrist push ups aren't prehab for the elbows.

Extensor Digitorum does insert into the elbow :) although not directly to be thought of as prehab for elbows per ce, it does have an effect on it due to the nature of how the muscles in the wrist/forearm/elbow are layed out and intersect. give it a looksie in an anatomy image, perhaps in wiki or google
  • Upvote 1

Extensor Digitorum does insert into the elbow :) although not directly to be thought of as prehab for elbows per ce, it does have an effect on it due to the nature of how the muscles in the wrist/forearm/elbow are layed out and intersect. give it a looksie in an anatomy image, perhaps in wiki or google

I am way ahead of you on anatomy. Had study it for massage therapy and esthiology.

Keilani Gutierrez

I am way ahead of you on anatomy. Had study it for massage therapy and esthiology.

so....illuminate me then ^_^ doesn't the Extensor Digitorum insert into the elbow or did i misunderstand that?

• Coach Sommer unpinned this topic