Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Elbow/wrist Prehab Routine

Cole Dano

I ran across this and it seems to be very simple and effective. Give it a try and see what you think.

edit -

Here are a few other very simple exercises which are designed to affect the key nerves in the arm.

Meidan Nerve Tensioner

Radial Nerve Tensioner

Ulnar Nerve Tensioner

and here is an excellent overview of various elbow related problems -

• Upvote 8

yuri marmerstein

thanks for the post, I really like this

I am going to do this all the time now while driving

I'm really liking it too.

I just did it while doing my PL progression session and the forearms completely freed up.

This video is incredible. These are some of the most effective upper arm exercises I've ever tried, and I think they'll prove to be helpful in recovering from elbow tendinitis. I expect to be using them a lot! Thanks for sharing!

• 2 months later...
Dillon Zrike

I stickied this post because these are excellent elbow/wrist prehab exercises. I started to get some elbow pain from extensive cross work and decided to look for more elbow prehab. I found this, performed the series daily, and the pain was gone within a week. I highly recommend this series.

Dillon

thanks for the reminder Dillon!

has anyone looked at/tried any of his other novel movements?

Great video!

I don't know what I have on my left elbow but I suspect it may be a beginning of a tendinitis so I stopped every exercise that use both arms. I tried do to these exercises after doing some massage and stretching and It hurts a bit after every exercise, not a lot but something... Daily, I'm resting and putting ice to reduce inflamation but I'm afraid this will become worse with those exercises.

Should I stop until I feel better or should I keep doing this and maybe the pain will disapear?

Thanks in advance:)

thanks for the reminder Dillon!

has anyone looked at/tried any of his other novel movements?

They are all good, this is just the one that seems to be most relevant to us. I particularly like the spinal one myself, and use the neck one all the time in my classes as its a common area of limited movement.

Great video!

I don't know what I have on my left elbow but I suspect it may be a beginning of a tendinitis so I stopped every exercise that use both arms. I tried do to these exercises after doing some massage and stretching and It hurts a bit after every exercise, not a lot but something... Daily, I'm resting and putting ice to reduce inflamation but I'm afraid this will become worse with those exercises.

Should I stop until I feel better or should I keep doing this and maybe the pain will disapear?

Thanks in advance:)

If this is causing more pain, you are doing it too intensely.

The principle behind this is often called neural flossing. It helping to get the nerve to glide freely in its pathway. Imagine if you will a strand of spaghetti stuck inside a tube of macaroni. We want to get the spaghetti to slide freely in side the macaroni without tearing.

Be a little less aggressive and see if the residual pain goes away.

Interesting series. I just tried a bit of this now and will keep on as I'm working as my left elbow is nagging me again.

The arm movement and upper quadrant movement were the only thing I really had not seen before but there was the hip/pelvis circle on all fours that may prove worthwhile.

I wrote down the routine so I don't have to watch the video each time I do it.

A1. Elbow Straight Palm facing Down Wrist Extended Curl Fingers

A1. Elbow Straight Palm facing Down Wrist Curled Curl Fingers

A2. Elbow Straight Palm facing Up Wrist Extended Extend Fingers

A2. Elbow Straight Palm facing Up Wrist Curled Curl Fingers

B1. Elbow Bent Palm facing Me Wrist Extended Extend Fingers

B1. Elbow Bent Palm facing Me Wrist Curled Curl Fingers

B2. Elbow Bent Palm facing Away Wrist Extended Extend Fingers

B2. Elbow Bent Palm facing Away Wrist Curled Curl Fingers

admonisher

Yes!! I am gonna try this my left elbows as problems, ill still ask my therapist some help thought

• 5 weeks later...
Tyler Phillips

Hello all, just wanted to say a couple of things. First of all, I wanted to chalk up another success story in regards to the video posted here. I've been doing these exercises on a near daily basis, up to three times a day. Not only have my hands felt stronger but, coupled with NSAID cycling, I've finally come very close to ridding myself of forearm tendinitis that I've had for months now. I just tested a planche position - the thing that aggravated it the most - and I'm still feeling a little bit of pain but it's dramatically reduced. I may yet be able to have it fully healed before the end of August if I keep this up, and I have to credit these exercises for that, so thanks for the post.

Now the other thing I wanted to say. At one point my martial arts instructor told me about a similar exercise he employs for developing hand and forearm strength. His suggestion was to take a page of newspaper, hold it out in front of you with locked arms, and then crumple up the newspaper into a ball using only your fingers. It definitely becomes tiring very quickly whenever I do it, and I bet that if you experiment and try it in all 8 positions that are outlined in the novel movements video you may find variable difficulties. The paper can also be scaled in many ways too, such as using tissues or plastic bags for beginners or using multiple newspaper sheets, construction paper, or even paper bags for more advanced trainees. Give it a try and tell me hw it works out for you all. :)

• Upvote 1

Joshua Naterman

The finger flexors attach very close to the elbow and for the most part they are actually attached to the medial humeral epicondyle. That's part of your elbow. You will be surprised at how many people actually have issues with those muscles. Think about it: What muscles are supporting your body on the ground? Finger and wrist flexors. You can not really separate wrist and elbow prehab because the muscles involved affect both joints to a large degree.

• Upvote 1

Martin de Jesus Ponce Robaldino

i really think it's a great prehab routine!

i'm having a little pain in one of my elbows, and then i found this topic, i tried it out, and after 3-4 days of doing this routine, the pain has almost gone =)

thanks!

• Upvote 1

Hi!

Sorry for another question abour elbow pain, but lately i noticed a little discomfort/pain in both elbows on the lateral side in the morning after i woke up. I think this might has to do something with the fact that during my FSP training i noticed a little stiffness after the L-SIt, also while lowering from inverted hang into a tucked front lever, i felt a little pain in both elbows on the inner down side (I hope you know where i mean). At the point now the only pull excercies i am able to do without a strange feeling are chinups. Pullups and (false grip) rows don't feel good.

So my decision is to skip the front lever and to do the L-Sit with half of the usual time. +the elbow routine posted in this video 2-3 times/day. But while doing this routine it seems that i don't target the mentioned area of the elbow, or maybe i'm doing it wrong.

I tried one thing slizzardman described in another thread, 2-3 reps of Pull-ups with a 5-6 second negativ descent. That seems to target the area, at least i can feel a little discomfort on the top of the pull-up, because of that discomfort/pain I'm not sure if this will accelerate the healing process or inflict even more damage. Same goes for Hot/cold packs on the area, I always thought that heat causes an increase of a possible inlammation.

My question is, does anybody know what this can be (inflammation of the tendon/nerve??)? and what can I do to get rid of it?!

Best wishes,

Chris

Joshua Naterman

Stop thinking of inflammation as bad. That is a drug company trying to sell you pain medication!

Inflammation = increased blood flow, which = increased healing. You want increased healing. There are other effects of the heat too, like increasing available energy in the area which allows chemical reactions to happen faster (this is increased rate of healing).

Joshua Naterman
Good point! I never thought about it this way!

Thanks! I try to inject a bit of objective realism into the heavily opinionated and over-marketed world of medicine lol!

You obviously have to do what you have to do in order to keep your life livable, but if it's possible to avoid these then avoid them.

There are two different types of inflammation, cellular inflammation that is actually a result of an overactive immune system and a few other factors (THIS is bad, but it is controlled through and heavily affected by overall lifestyle from diet which is huge to how easily you get stressed out) and joint/muscle inflammation which is what we are generally talking about, and this second type is actually a good thing because of how it accelerates healing (even though it CAN be uncomfortable at times), at least as long as it isn't causing compartment syndrome in the lower legs lol! Even then, you take care of that through distal to proximal (foot to knee) massage combined with slight elevation + heat and strengthening the muscles slowly and surely so that they don't get damaged to this point in the first place.

• Coach Sommer unpinned this topic