Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Olympic Cross

Chris

Hi there, there's this one thing that's bothering me, namely the olympic cross

from what I know the olympic is what aguilar starts doing in ~0:32 second

what's bothering me is why it's nowhere to be seen, why did FIG remove it? was it hard to obtain, perform and hold? it's buggering me because I think it looks tremendous and I can't figure out why it vanished from the routines, same goes for the olympic maltese (which has been posted somewhere here), so if any of you guys has knowledge about this skill please share it.

Chris.

Coach Sommer

FIG Removal of the Olympic Cross & Olympic Maltese

From time to time, the FIG (International Federation of Gymnastics) will add and remove skills from the Code of Points (the complete listing of all the allowable competitive skills in gymnastics) to guide how they would like to see routine construction on the international level proceed.

However, if you like the Olympic Cross and Olympic Maltese, then you should train them. Whether something is currently in vogue with the FIG (International Federation of Gymnastics) is only applicable to competitive gymnasts and has no bearing on your training as a fitness enthusiast.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 1

Is the Olympic cross harder to hold than the regular cross? Or easier? How do you generally go about training them?

Thanks,

Matt

Thanks for the reply coach, too bad they removed it

I would also like these questions answered matthew :> I think that cross pullouts would also work here, but You will need decent shoulder flexibility in my opinion, any other suggestions?

I would also like these questions answered matthew :> I think that cross pullouts would also work here, but You will need decent shoulder flexibility in my opinion, any other suggestions?

You don't need good flexibility for any kind of croosses. Just good and strond sholders (pectoralis to).

You don't need good flexibility for any kind of croosses. Just good and strond sholders (pectoralis to).

Would You like to elaborate ? By the way by cross pullouts i meant pullouts in the olympic position.

• 2 months later...

Sorry for neglecting this topic Gregor, to answer Your question, I though about a cross pullout as jovtchev does them, meaning body in L position in support, legs on a box or something to decrease leverage and lowering to a cross position.

I mentioned flexibility because i read somewhere that it is essential to a olympic cross, I myself do not have any specific knowledge about it and since You say it's irrelovant then probably You are right :>

Do You have any ideas how to train an olympic cross? I'm asking out of curiosity because my elbows are too weak even to withstand a cross pullout (with straight arms of course) :< damn hyperextension.

Search for another topic here on gymnastic bodies where I suggested how you should turn your elbows in iron cross....

How to train olympic cross? When you are strong enough to hold iron cross corectly, just give a try or two.

Thats a long way for me then :)

Anyways I think i know how to position myself for the iron cross, meaning shoulders rolled foward and elbows pointing down, am I missing something ?

Grab with false grip and then turn the elbows in lock position like you have it in a press to handstand, handstand.....

I myself don't roll sholders in. I'm rolling them in just when I go from cross to maltese or inverted, but only in rising time and not in hold time when i'm holding the cross.

Yea that's the oposite what I suggested :D
damn shame :D

Thanks a lot Gregor, I'll certainly give it a try. Your technique is rather uncommon from what i've seen, because almost all over the place they say that the elbows ought to be pointing downward

btw, thats a nice picture :)

Damn You're right :o I've seen dozens of his routines and never really directed my atention to the direction of his elbows (his muscles occupied too much of the screen :-) )

I saw Jovtchev's cross, read the description on drillsandskills and some other materials and made the asumpntion that the elbows have to be turned down. Thanks for Your guidance :>

Interesting arguments, Gregor--I've been having some elbow trouble lately, I'll see if doing my crosses your way help at all (I definitely notice a bit of tension after every cross I do in my elbows..).

Interesting arguments, Gregor--I've been having some elbow trouble lately, I'll see if doing my crosses your way help at all (I definitely notice a bit of tension after every cross I do in my elbows..).

Gregor: tried doing my crosses today without turning the elbows down and shoulders in--and I was actually stronger that way, plus there was no elbow tension. Good call! I'll probably be sticking with this style, and I'll just turn my shoulders/elbows in, etc. when moving into malteses or whatever other movements. Thanks a lot!

Gregor: tried doing my crosses today without turning the elbows down and shoulders in--and I was actually stronger that way, plus there was no elbow tension. Good call! I'll probably be sticking with this style, and I'll just turn my shoulders/elbows in, etc. when moving into malteses or whatever other movements. Thanks a lot!

Glad to help :)