Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

60 L-sit on floor ?

learningtofly

learningtofly

Well,

The more I try to progress on "everything", the more I understand the value of a rock solid chest-up L-sit on floor.

Especially if one ventures to serious planche work...

BUT, who the hell here can hold a 60s L-sit on floor ???

Can someone post a vid ? I just wanna see that !

Eric

PS : I currently can hold it for 30s consistently (best time ever 35s), afterwhat my butt slowly but surely goes down to were it feels definetly more confortable to be...

Steven Andrews

I'm currently stuck at about 30 seconds on the floor and am wondering if it is a core strength or hip flexor strength issue. I think I'll test the hip flexors by doing static pistol holds at the bottom position without using my hands to hold the extended leg. Currently I can hold the left leg out there for 90 seconds by holding the foot and I can hold the right one out there holding the foot for 60 seconds.

learningtofly

Obviously, the less flexibility you have, the more quad/psoas and ab-tension you need to mainain the "L" of the L-sit, while also struggling with shoulders / triceps etc (and back if correcly done). This is why it is so interesting.

For my part, the weak link is clearly the lack of strenght to keep the shoulders down above 30s. Progress goes far slower here than it did for flexibility or ab strengh for instance...

(Hip-flexor strenght in itself could be quiet slow to achieve, though, so good idea to work specifically on that. MA background certainly helped me here.)

Well, I know my hip flexors are going to hate this. I had to take about a week or more off L-sit due to tweaking my back and I felt my hip flexors scream during holds of 30 and 45s, but I generally do it on P-bars.

I've been meaning to switch to floor and lift off my palms and see how long.

I'll see what I can do tonite, I can take video but I'm not sure if I can upload it.

Its interesting, I've never seen a video of a 60 second l-sit either. I recently decided to have that as a goal, so I took a video for a baseline time. The form isn't perfect, I was going for time. Ended up getting 41 seconds on fists, less on palms.

I'm not sure what my limiting element is in the l-sit. I don't feel super fatigued in my abs/hip flexors after, so maybe its shoulder strength. Its more just a challenge of keeping crazy amounts of tension which gets harder the longer you hold the L

ON2RHVo0Mtw

learningtofly
Its more just a challenge of keeping crazy amounts of tension which gets harder the longer you hold the L

Agreed ! And correctly breathing at the same time...

Thanks for the vid. On fists the form looks ok except legs not straight. On palms : shoulder too far forward you need a straighter back and chest-up. Of course you know that :wink:

I'll try to post a vid with a 40s palms on floor next week, hopefully (let's have that goal :P )...

I shot video last night and did 24s on fingertips and 16 on fists. My quads screamed before they died. A month of intermittent L work was not good at all, apparently.

Dillon Kolacz

I think gentics can lead to success in L-sit. After training for a few months I was able to hit 60s, but I think this is because I have thin legs.

My hand position might be helping me too... all of my weight is pressing down on my main four knuckles and my thumb is out for support.

This position helps a lot to increase the endurance for l-sit and improve pike compression.

I felt great improvement after combining both positions in training.

For my little guys or weaker girls, I will simply have them hold this position for time if they cannot do the support version. It's also good to use as a side station, especially when I have an injured gymnast who cannot do supports.

I just wanted to mention (in case it wasn't obvious) that any prior physical training you may have done may not be conducive to gymnastic static positions.

Using myself as an example, I did about 5 years of powerlifting/olympic lifting type exercises for most of my strength gaining (im only 23, so 5 years is a lot! :P). Consequently, I have low flexibility and my legs are quite massive in comparison to gymnasts or even most body builders my age. Obviously, leg mass is going to have a large impact on almost any gymnastic static position. Just have to work on flexibility and core strength to overcome it I guess :)

Aaron Griffin
This position helps a lot to increase the endurance for l-sit and improve pike compression.

I felt great improvement after combining both positions in training.

How exactly did you program these? I was doing 3 maximal holds for time for a while, but didn't think it was doing a whole lot...

Anywhere from 10-30 sec for 3-10 sets. Your goal is to do that position with the elbows on floor, will be great for your v-sit and pike presses also.

Yeah, my quads aren't so fond of hip flexor stuff but luckily I'm only 5' tall. Last night 60s was cake on PB and my quads didn't even feel it.

I too am stuck at around 30 seconds. My max has been in excess of 35 seconds with palms flat, but if I do the max, I cannot get 30 seconds on subsequent sets, even with a long rest period. If I do 3 sets at 30 seconds, its tough. I am just trying to keep consistent with my training of it, but I am a little unsure how to break the plateau.

learningtofly

Yeah, palms flat and chest-up is relatively hard. It's not "advanced" L-sit but not that far from it as I see it. I did not succeed to go over 25s last session. I will try now - I never did ! - to approach it like any other FSP with SSC, and be humble / patient enough to avoid maxing everytime. Always the same mistake...

To be more precise, because of good flexibility I too much trained a "closed" L-sit with shoulders forward and leaning a bit more like in straddle-L, fingers and arms rotating outside (biceps stretched forward). Less strain on abs also, that way.

But keeping that "support" rotation with arms and holding a chest-up L-sit (or advanced) for time seems far too hard for me right now...

I too am stuck at around 30 seconds. My max has been in excess of 35 seconds with palms flat, but if I do the max, I cannot get 30 seconds on subsequent sets, even with a long rest period. If I do 3 sets at 30 seconds, its tough. I am just trying to keep consistent with my training of it, but I am a little unsure how to break the plateau.

If you wanna break the plateau you have to change something. Mix it up. Do 6x20s instead of 3x30s, or even add weight to ancles and do some sets of 10s.

I just wanted to mention (in case it wasn't obvious) that any prior physical training you may have done may not be conducive to gymnastic static positions.

Using myself as an example, I did about 5 years of powerlifting/olympic lifting type exercises for most of my strength gaining (im only 23, so 5 years is a lot! :P). Consequently, I have low flexibility and my legs are quite massive in comparison to gymnasts or even most body builders my age. Obviously, leg mass is going to have a large impact on almost any gymnastic static position. Just have to work on flexibility and core strength to overcome it I guess :)

I would have to disagree here. I came from a weightlifting background as well and was able to do an L-sit, V-sit, Backlever (palms forward version), Straddle-l and body-levers without training them. I was always flexible and light weight though so I am sure that helped.