Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

1/2 BW SLOW cuban press benchmark

John Sapinoso

sooo slow, why?

Do you find it useful for pressing ability? Do you noticed some special benefit?

Could you describe your techinque? Do you spread your lats out or in?

Sorry for the questions, it's nearly impossible to me to find someone who perform with that weight!

So this is the infamous cuban press, I never knew what it was. From what I've seen the mobilitywod talk about, this looks like a great exercise and your shoulders seem to in a great position for the movements. I should start doing these...

Ts00nami - you continue to impress!

Don't have to up the weight on top?

No, that is optional.

John Sapinoso

@ mikael, considering the weight, pressing up at the top is a waste of time.

@felipe, slow tempo = increased time under tension, forces control / no cheating

@seiji, yes start them now if your shoulders aren't injured

@Mr. Brady, Thanks

Coach Sommer

ts00nami,

Nice work on your Cuban Press. Half bodyweight on this element is a very respectable achievement.

There are a few points of refinement that I would like you to consider:

1) Your grip is slightly too narrow. This is evidenced by the forearms and the upper arms not quite making a complete 90 degree angle at the top of the rotation. This is the portion of the movement when the forearms are vertical.

2) Your elbows are a little too far forward during the movement. When viewed from the side your elbows should be directly in line with the shoulder joint.

3) During the descent there was a significant breakdown in form as noted by the upper arms dropping out of being perpendicular to the torso. As you have already discovered, the descent is the hardest section of the Cuban Press to execute correctly.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 1

John Sapinoso

Coach,

Thank you for your critique. I'll be sure to be vigilant in keeping my form in line, and additionally spend some more time in the higher rep range with less weight.

Rafael David

We should do this in the end of workout, in beginning or in separated workout? Should be always 3x3?

Coach Sommer

I recommend initially 1 set of 8-10 reps; possibly building to 2-3 sets in the future. The intensity with which you are performing these will determine whether or not these should be placed prior to or following your WoD.

My personal preference is to utilize a SSC with pre-hab elements.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Steven Andrews

I weigh 195 lbs. and am at 55 lbs. on the cuban press. I hold the position where the forearms are horizontal to the ground for 4 seconds on the way up and 4 seconds on the way down and then move slowly up to the press and down to the hang so each rep takes about 12 seconds. I also do that Grimek exercise you do at the end of the video. I end the workout for dislocates for 8 reps with 20 something pounds ( I don't know how much the bar weighs). I've never had a shoulder injury and think that doing dumbbell versions of the cuban press for years has kept my shoulders injury free.