Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

BtGB Based Program Design Feedback

trifecta1985

trifecta1985

Hello.

I have recently read BtGB and have been exploring the board over the past few weeks. I have pulled together information from the book and various posts and have put together the below program guidelines and template. I am interested to hear feedback from some of the more experienced members or even Coach Sommer himself on these program guidelines and template. I want to make sure I have gelled everything together correctly based on what I have learned from BtGB and the board.

Program Guidelines:

- Workout 4 days per week (S/M/W/Th).

- Perform one press, pull, core, and leg FBE exercise on each workout day.

- Perform a different press, pull, core, and leg FBE exercise on each workout day rotating through the primary planes of movement.

- Select FBE exercises that are currently difficult to complete 3 sets of 3 reps.

- Perform 3 sets of 3-5 reps per exercise.

- FSP exercises should be performed before FBE exercises with 30-60 second rest in between.

- FSP exercises should be paired with a corresponding press, pull, core, or leg FBE exercise.

- Stick with the same program for an 8 to 12 week cycle (when following a steady state training cycle).

FSP Exercise Guidelines:

- To determine the per set hold time, take current max hold time and divide by 2.

- To determine the number of sets, divide 60 by the result of the previous step.

- Never perform a set longer than the per set hold time until end of the 8-12 week cycle.

- At the end of one cycle, if the new max hold time if greater than 15 seconds then move on to more difficult variation (assuming you can hold the new variation for at least 3-5 seconds).

Program Template:

Note: Determine an appropriate variation for each FSP and FBE element according to your current strength level and fill in the template accordingly.

Sunday:

Press:

- FSP: Planche

- FBE: Pushup

Pull:

- FSP: Back lever

- FBE: Row

Core:

- FSP: L-sit

- FBE: V-up

Leg:

- FSP: Front lever

- FBE: Squat

Monday:

Press:

- FBE: Dip

Pull:

- FBE: Pull-up

Core:

- FBE: Hanging leg lifts

Leg:

- FBE: Hamstring

Wednesday:

Press:

- FBE: Handstand pushup

Pull:

- FBE: Curl

Core:

- FBE: Lower back

Leg:

- FBE: Squat

Thursday:

Press:

- FBE: Multi-plane pressing

Pull:

- FBE: Multi-plane pulling

Core:

- FBE: Obliques

Leg:

- FBE: Hamstring

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

From the book, yes.

Look into the prerequisites warmups on the board. There are a couple of threads on them.

I generally consider the L and straddle L to be basics, so I don't list them as core. FL requires a lot of core strength, but it's also pull strength as well.

Larry Roseman

It's pretty ambitious program. You'll find out whether your body can handle 4 days (2 days together) per week.

I find, as a complete newbie, just doing 2 sets of basic strength work (not even half of what you have above) wrecks me and I need a full day rest.

Now I am six foot weigh just under 180 and not a lot of that is upper body, so perhaps that's my problem, or half of it.

i like what you have written!

im a bit confused as how to combine my FSP's with specific FBE's too....

from a weights training background... i have either worked isolation i.e chest one day, or back one day, legs one day etc....

or as of late.. training chest/back/legs for a whole workout 3 times a week, with two other light isolation days.

is this something of focus in GB training? i.e focusing on pull moves one day, push another, legs another?

little bit confused still even after reading a lot of the book and a lot of threads here... so many different ways!!

the GB WOD sort of has upper body, lower body, dynamic push/pull/leg with core all mixed in. It generally sort of concentrates on one domain per day...sort of. For instance ring strength and basic strength days are not necessarily just one domain.

Programming a blended FSP+FBE SSC would generally have one push/pull/core/leg.

So they differ in that respect. However, the GB WOD incorporates dynamic movement which BtGB does not.

I am pretty much in the same position as the original poster. I have read BtGB (nearly the whole book) and quite a few of this forum's users' threads/blogs.

So, is it recommended that I follow the WOD or a BtGB schedule which is very similar to the one above? My issue with WOD is that many of the workouts require rings and have exercises that I cannot perform yet. Unfortunately, I do not have rings.

I would really like to give only bodyweight training a go and would appreciate any responses. I have been working out for a while, but have been doing it wrong the whole time (too many reps, not enough rest, etc., etc.). This is the first time I have done research, and so far I have learned a lot. I would like to start applying this knowledge as soon as possible. Some of my goals are to be able to do HSPUs, the advanced static positions, and be healthy in general.

• 2 months later...

THANK YOU!

I was just about to post a exact same thing. I have a very similar program myself and I was wondering if I traind to much. I have read the BtGB (BIBLE!!)but I do not have english as my first language so I feared that I hade misinterpreted something.

so how is it going training as you (we) do? the results? any soreness, injuries other things to look out fore?