Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ring Swings

Mats Trane

Hi All

Just started to do Ring Swings. Please critic and give tips!

To me, the front swings looks ok but the back swings are low. What should I think of when I dropping from the top of my front swing?

j0-YT0oTaps

• Upvote 1

Alessandro Mainente

i think you have to push down on the rings while you are opening your arms

• Like 1

Alessandro Mainente
Thanks Alex, Will try it next time and post à new video

V6am4xs89vk

see how he is opening his arms

Coach Sommer

At this stage is your training, during the backswing do not push down on the rings. This pressure is something that only occurs once the legs have risen substantially above the torso. To push down prematurely in the back swing will cause the torso to rise and the legs to drop rather than vice versa.

For the time being, I recommend focusing on the following to establish a basic swing:

1) Begin from a still hang with relaxed shoulders and then start with the smallest swings possible. Gradually make the swings larger and larger however, and this is very important, as soon as the swing becomes jerky stop immediately and begin again from a still hang.

2) Keep your chin down on your chest while swinging.

3) Your body should curve upwards during both sides of the swing; for the front swing the body will be hollowed, for the back swing the body will be arched (primarily through the shoulder girdle).

4) Kick upward to generate power during the swing.

5) Never kick down during a ring swing, but allow the body to retain the shape of the previous ascent (hollow for a front swing/arched for a back swing) as it falls back to the hang.

6) When the body reaches the hang (vertical) in between the swings, allow the shoulders to completely open. There should be no piking whatsoever.

7) The rings should begin to move forward and backward as you swing. How much they will do so, will be entirely dependent on the size of your swing. At a full power ring swing, the rings will travel half a body length forward and half a body length backward.

It is important to remember that a ring swing is not a high bar swing. During a high bar swing, the body moves around the bar. During a ring swing, the rings move around the body. This is a subtle, but important difference.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

This post has been promoted to an article

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

Alessandro Mainente
At this stage is your training, during the backswing do not push down on the rings. This pressure is something that only occurs once the legs have risen substantially above the torso. To push down prematurely in the back swing will cause the torso to rise and the legs to drop rather than vice versa.

For the time being, I recommend focusing on the following to establish a basic swing:

1) Begin from a still hang with relaxed shoulders and then start with the smallest swings possible. Gradually make the swings larger and larger however, and this is very important, as soon as the swing becomes jerky stop immediately and begin again from a still hang.

2) Keep your chin down on your chest while swinging.

3) Your body should curve upwards during both sides of the swing; for the front swing the body will be hollowed, for the back swing the body will be arched (primarily through the shoulder girdle).

4) Kick upward to generate power during the swing.

5) Never kick down during a ring swing, but allow the body to retain the shape of the previous ascent (hollow for a front swing/arched for a back swing) as it falls back to the hang.

6) When the body reaches the hang (vertical) in between the swings, allow the shoulders to completely open. There should be no piking whatsoever.

7) The rings should begin to move forward and backward as you swing. How much they will do so, will be entirely dependent on the size of your swing. At a full power ring swing, the rings will travel half a body length forward and half a body length backward.

It is important to remember that a ring swing is not a high bar swing. During a high bar swing, the body moves around the bar. During a ring swing, the rings move around the body. This is a subtle, but important difference.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

thanks for the progression...in some video su youtube i see what you said, that the arms are opened only when the torso is very elevated

• Like 1

Michael Traynor

Can this be stickied in the skills or similar forum? Due to the essay like nature of Coach's reply. :)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Tyler Phillips

Excellent! I'm writing this down for the next time I'm at the gym. Thanks again, Coach. ^__^

• 10 months later...

Hmm, looks like it's coming along decent.

Just make sure you aren't prematurely turning the rings out in the back swing. Push them forward as much as possible before trying to ever turn them out.

Perhaps a bit more turnover at the bottom to the front swing. But well, don't we all want that?

make sure you aren't prematurely turning the rings out in the back swing. Push them forward as much as possible before trying to ever turn them out.

Perhaps a bit more turnover at the bottom to the front swing. But well, don't we all want that?

Thanks for the reply! I tried to push more forward and not so much to the side in the back swing, it instantly made me swing alot higher! Also felt more sort of relaxed and natural. And maybe im turning my palms down too early in the front swing also?

Should the elbows stay locked the WHOLE TIME? Cause ive seen many videos where gymnasts arms bent a little when they are swinging up in the front part of the swing.

Ill post a new video in a few days.

A lot of gymnasts will bend their arms when they "cast" into a swing say from a basket position. You'll notice though if you were to just watch swings, their arms will stay straight.

Quite often, watching what elites do isn't exactly textbook.

I found a clip of someone doing giants on rings, and put it into slowmotion. Is this what it should look like? Watching this in slowmotion made me figure out few things im doing wrong.

Always thought its all about the speed and you dont need to use strenght at all to swing comfortably into HS, but it seems you actually DO need to kind of muscle yourself into HS?

gqKTMvmq704

Since the clip is already in youtube, i guess this is not stealing, right? :)

You do not need to muscle yourself into a HS in a Giant. He needs to be a bit stronger, though. Physical prep.

Sometimes in a back giant, you might want to end a bit short to press to the HS versus being too far and missing the HS. Opposite with front giant. Undershoot just a little bit instead of going past HS. No way really to save it if you go too far.

Relaxed in shoulder. Tight from diaphragm to toes.

Thanks once again for a quick answer, Blairbob!!!

Had to check what diaphragm means, thought it was completely something else.. :P

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
Alasdair George

This is my first  time in the forum and the advice is really good, however how can you see the video that Mats initially refers to?
I've attached a screenshot of what I can see.image.thumb.png.4f9afab40063ad072c9cbc308fd989a4.png

Alessandro Mainente

It is the last part of a youtube domain video. by the way this is a 2011 post, I doubt the video is still online.

• Scott Malin unpinned this topic