Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

to much or too little practice

jim turner

hi, I am trying to improve my handstand... I can balance free standing for around 5 to 15 seconds most times... I'm reckoning that my strength is holding me back ... Any way what I'm wondering is whether I practice too little or too much.. I try to fit in as much practice in the corner of my living room as I can during an evening which usually amounts to an hour or so.. I usualy practice balancing freestanding, try pressing up form headstand against the wall and then maybe some elbow levers or l sits and frog stance. Would I make more progress if I told myself to leave it some evenings , (which would be a shame its my time to relax) or infact would I make more progress if I practiced more.

How long have you been working at it? A month, a year, longer...

What other exercises do you do besides just trying to balance on your hands? Hollow holds and other body line work?

What do you do to build up the necessary shoulder girdle strength? Wall runs cast wall walks?

What do you do to work on the skill of balancing?

In general, with handbalancing, an hour a day doing those things is not too much, but there may be more effective ways to use that time.

I've been practicing about a year or around there with gradually increasing commitment/purpose

I've not done cast wall walks or any such thing I'm guessing from your question you would recommend I do?

I rarely do hollow holds.. again would you suggest I do?

I work on balance by practicing kicking up a short distance from a wall .. If I fall forwards I try to push myself back into balance..

Other exercises I do are mainly stretching / hip flexability etc and some pull ups etc

The exercises suggested are a very good starting point. Take a look at the HS WOD days for more ideas.

Just look through the WODs, they come up about every other week, and begin with Cast Wall Walks.

The last exercise will vary, so look back for a few different examples.