Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Workout for slizz

Warrior'sSuite

Warrior'sSuite

Well at the moment what I'm doing is PL, FL, BL, HS and L-sit 4 times a week (except HS, that I do 5 times a week) and what I was doing right now was just bicep curls with the rings and bench dips; I was doing pushups too but I want to do them with some weights on like a plate or something because I don't know if doing them bodyweight will give much size (which is how I was doing them) and I don't want to waste time.

I was also doing basic pullups and chinups etc. so I'm sort of a beginner probably.

Alexander Moreen

You have to give to get man. Get specific here; how tall are you? How old are you? How much do you weigh? How many pullups can you do? What's your heaviest pullup? How many pushups? How many dips and how heavy can you go? What progression and how long can you hold all your statics?

Read through all the coach Sommers articles here and on dragondoor to get started.

Warrior'sSuite
You have to give to get man. Get specific here; how tall are you? How old are you? How much do you weigh? How many pullups can you do? What's your heaviest pullup? How many pushups? How many dips and how heavy can you go? What progression and how long can you hold all your statics?

Read through all the coach Sommers articles here and on dragondoor to get started.

I was waiting for slizzardman to answer to give out that info, but you're right I should have posted it right from the start.

Well, let's see:

Frog Stand: I'm doing 4 sets of 15s but I'm about to try my max again because I think it's time to move on, it's been some time.

Tuck FL: the same, 4 sets of 15s but they're getting easy.

Tuck BL: same as FL.

L-sit (bent): same.

HS: I'm doing 3 sets of 25s right now but this is getting easy as well and I'm gonna step it up to 3 sets of 30s next week, starting monday.

Well that's where I'm at with the statics, I started like a month a half ago or maybe 2 months but there were weeks where I didn't do anything so I got back 2 weeks ago and this would be my 3rd week. I take 45s rest between sets on all statics.

Height: 5'7".

Weight: around 145-150lbs maybe, it's been a while since I measured.

As for pullups, I haven't tested this recently but I think my max is 15 on most of them (regular pullup, reg. chinup, close grip, etc.).

As for dips, I haven't done any in months but it's probably around 15.

I haven't tried both pulls or dips with added weight so I wouldn't know.

Don't know if it matters much but I can do 6 HSPU's on the floor against the wall.

Well, there it is.

Warrior'sSuite
Your goals being?

To get buff!

Well, it's not only that, I also sincerely want to be able to do all the statics, that's why I've trained them too. I want to be able to do freestanding handstands on the floor and some pushups and also do the full rom HSPU's on parallel bars and things like that, it's not just about getting muscle.

I realize once you get into the advanced stuff with the statics you can get big but that's just too far away and I want to start getting buff right now.

But I don't have weights, and I don't want to go to a gym either, and anyways I think it's better to get buff only with bodyweight and gymnastic stuff.

I was talking to slizz in another thread and he told me to make this thread right here to get into the specifics, so that's why I did it.

I just wanted to say that I want to start doing weighted pushups, dips and pullups but I don't know where to start, with what weight and how many sets and all that stuff.

Like, with how much weight should I start doing pushups? Or pullups? And how many sets should I do and so on, I don't know.

Dreadrok recently completed a cycle of Poliquin's GVT using gymnastics/BW exercises. Look at his workout log.

I have no idea how to implement FSP/statics with GVT though.

Warrior'sSuite

I've read about GVT, but it says you have to do 10 sets each set lasting 60s and taking 30-90s rest depending on what you're doing, if I remember correctly.

Well, how the heck am I going to do that? I can't even get to 60s with regular pushups on the floor, I think I got to 50 something seconds some days ago.

So how does this work? If I were to get the 1st set to last 60s, the rest won't come anywhere near that I assume.

I don't really get how GVT works.

Joshua Naterman

Don't worry about GVT right now, you're doing well.

For 15 reps of pull ups, does that include the L varieties and wide L varieties? If not, those should be what you work on at least once a week. You are definitely strong enough to be able to do scaled WODs, and to be honest that will be one of the simplest things to do and one of the best for your strength. You will gain weight if you eat more, but the WODs are not designed for weight gain as a primariy effect. Whatever weight you gain will be as a result of your body growing to handle the demands of the movements, but the sets and reps are not designed to stimulate maximum muscle growth but instead to work on a strength base.

IF you decide to do the WODs you can make them work as a size gaining workout by lowering the intensity and rest slightly and upping the volume. SO instead of doing an embedded BL with 5 L chin ups or something you would want to do an embedded BL combined with 8-10 weighted chin ups (with a weight taht allows you do 8-10 reps) or something like that. I would suggest doing one round exactly as prescribed just so that you are getting that strength stimulus to some degree, and then doing 3-4 more rounds with the higher reps. You would also knock the rest down to 60s, so you would probably want to do two of the embedded sets back to back as a super set, and do the third as a stand alone.

For example, today's WOD is:

Complete 3 sets each:

1 Embedded BL + 6 Tempo Assisted OAC (3 each arm)

1 Embedded XR L-sit + 5 Tempo Under-grip Korean HSPU

1 Embedded FL + 6 Tempo Twisting Archups

For size you might want to change that to

Complete 1 set each:

immediately followed by

Complete 3 sets each:

1 Embedded BL + 8-10 Tempo Weighted Chin Ups

1 Embedded XR L-sit + 10 Tempo HeSPU

1 Embedded FL + 15 Tempo Archups or Back Extensions

That's the simple way to follow the WODs, get their benefits, and at the same time pursue your goal of more size.

There are other ways, but the WODs are nice because they are going to cover all the bases and best of all you don't have to come up with them! You just need to scale a little.

Warrior'sSuite
Don't worry about GVT right now, you're doing well.

For 15 reps of pull ups, does that include the L varieties and wide L varieties? If not, those should be what you work on at least once a week. You are definitely strong enough to be able to do scaled WODs, and to be honest that will be one of the simplest things to do and one of the best for your strength. You will gain weight if you eat more, but the WODs are not designed for weight gain as a primariy effect. Whatever weight you gain will be as a result of your body growing to handle the demands of the movements, but the sets and reps are not designed to stimulate maximum muscle growth but instead to work on a strength base.

IF you decide to do the WODs you can make them work as a size gaining workout by lowering the intensity and rest slightly and upping the volume. SO instead of doing an embedded BL with 5 L chin ups or something you would want to do an embedded BL combined with 8-10 weighted chin ups (with a weight taht allows you do 8-10 reps) or something like that. I would suggest doing one round exactly as prescribed just so that you are getting that strength stimulus to some degree, and then doing 3-4 more rounds with the higher reps. You would also knock the rest down to 60s, so you would probably want to do two of the embedded sets back to back as a super set, and do the third as a stand alone.

For example, today's WOD is:

Complete 3 sets each:

For size you might want to change that to

Complete 1 set each:

immediately followed by

Complete 3 sets each:

1 Embedded BL + 8-10 Tempo Weighted Chin Ups

1 Embedded XR L-sit + 10 Tempo HeSPU

1 Embedded FL + 15 Tempo Archups or Back Extensions

That's the simple way to follow the WODs, get their benefits, and at the same time pursue your goal of more size.

There are other ways, but the WODs are nice because they are going to cover all the bases and best of all you don't have to come up with them! You just need to scale a little.

Sounds good, however I don't know how successful I'll be with the WODs; I've looked at some of them on past occasions and there seems to be some exercises that require special equipment which I don't have, all I have are some rings and some parallel bars.

Also, how much time does it take, on average, to complete the WOD? I ask because I don't know if it would get in the way of me getting more workouts in.

Also, how is the training of the FSP's done in the WOD's? Like, should I do the FSP's I'm doing separately, like I'm doing them, and then do the WOD?

Warrior'sSuite

Yo. I was thinking of getting rid of milk completely man, I won't take that stuff anymore.

I don't know if what I read was true or not but it said that milk is bad, at least in high quantities. They said they inject a lot of drugs on the cows and that what you get at the store is hardly real milk.

Plus, this thing messes up with your stomach man! The last 3 days I've been drinking more milk and I'm farting and going to the bathroom a lot! My stomach even feels like heavy or with cramps, I don't know if that's how you say it. Anyways its been bad, and I don't think i'm even lactose intolerant because I've always drinked milk but now that I got drinking more that's what's happened.

So looks like milk's out. What I was thinking was getting a little rice pot for myself and just making rice everyday lol, I love it. You think rice would be good?

Joshua Naterman
Sounds good, however I don't know how successful I'll be with the WODs; I've looked at some of them on past occasions and there seems to be some exercises that require special equipment which I don't have, all I have are some rings and some parallel bars.

Also, how much time does it take, on average, to complete the WOD? I ask because I don't know if it would get in the way of me getting more workouts in.

Also, how is the training of the FSP's done in the WOD's? Like, should I do the FSP's I'm doing separately, like I'm doing them, and then do the WOD?

Handstand days sometimes take 40 minutes, but generally WODs are over in 20-30 minutes. You can do the FSP any time you like, really, but keep the 4x a wee schedule for them. Many of us prefer to follow Coach's recommendation of doing the FSP as part of warm up for the WOD, but you should fit them in wherever you feel is best for you.

If you have rings and parallel bars you are golden. That's like 99% of everything.

Yo. I was thinking of getting rid of milk completely man, I won't take that stuff anymore.

I don't know if what I read was true or not but it said that milk is bad, at least in high quantities. They said they inject a lot of drugs on the cows and that what you get at the store is hardly real milk.

Plus, this thing messes up with your stomach man! The last 3 days I've been drinking more milk and I'm farting and going to the bathroom a lot! My stomach even feels like heavy or with cramps, I don't know if that's how you say it. Anyways its been bad, and I don't think i'm even lactose intolerant because I've always drinked milk but now that I got drinking more that's what's happened.

So looks like milk's out. What I was thinking was getting a little rice pot for myself and just making rice everyday lol, I love it. You think rice would be good?

The cheap store brand milk is not a very good idea, and many times it takes a few weeks for your system to get used to more milk. If you were going to make a jump from 2 cups to half a gallon per day, you'd want to add an extra cup of milk every 5-7 days so that your body has time to get used to it.

The more expensive milks tend to be better, but do some research on them: I have read watchdog articles that point out a few big brands of "organic" milk that really aren't organic.

Milk has advantages and disadvantages. Milk does make you grow, it spikes the hell out of your insulin and IGF1. Of course, this also means that drinking tons of milk will keep you 1-3% higher on the bodyfat scale than you would be without it. Milk is also a cheap source of protein, but if you are buying the expensive milk it's the same price or a few cents more than protein powder, which is also a cheap source of protein. Cheaper than meat anyways.

So if you ditch the milk you won't be ruining anything, and you may feel a LOT better. I certainly feel terrible when I drink store brand milk now. The good stuff doesn't bother me at all, but even then I probably don't go through even a gallon a month these days.

Rice in the rice cooker is a good idea, it is easy and gluten free. Brown rice is going to be healthier, but after the workout white rice will get in your system a little faster. Potatoes are also a good idea for PWO carbs.

Warrior'sSuite
Handstand days sometimes take 40 minutes,

That should be fine, I like doing handstands.

but generally WODs are over in 20-30 minutes.

It should be fine then, but do you end up really sore or tired from the WOD? Or will you still be able to workout more during the day?

You can do the FSP any time you like, really, but keep the 4x a wee schedule for them. Many of us prefer to follow Coach's recommendation of doing the FSP as part of warm up for the WOD, but you should fit them in wherever you feel is best for you.

Yeah, I'm doing them 4 times a week except for handstand, I do that 5 days a week.

Yeah, that's what I was asking, if you could do the FSP's apart from the WOD or if they were already included in the WOD.

If you have rings and parallel bars you are golden. That's like 99% of everything.

Ok.

The cheap store brand milk is not a very good idea, and many times it takes a few weeks for your system to get used to more milk. If you were going to make a jump from 2 cups to half a gallon per day, you'd want to add an extra cup of milk every 5-7 days so that your body has time to get used to it.

The more expensive milks tend to be better, but do some research on them: I have read watchdog articles that point out a few big brands of "organic" milk that really aren't organic.

Milk has advantages and disadvantages. Milk does make you grow, it spikes the hell out of your insulin and IGF1. Of course, this also means that drinking tons of milk will keep you 1-3% higher on the bodyfat scale than you would be without it. Milk is also a cheap source of protein, but if you are buying the expensive milk it's the same price or a few cents more than protein powder, which is also a cheap source of protein. Cheaper than meat anyways.

So if you ditch the milk you won't be ruining anything, and you may feel a LOT better. I certainly feel terrible when I drink store brand milk now. The good stuff doesn't bother me at all, but even then I probably don't go through even a gallon a month these days.

I actually don't live in the U.S., but i think that we buy the supposed "best" milk here. I'll dig around more with the milk situation over here because in truth I wouldn't like to ditch it completely.

But i think that maybe what messed me up was drinking 500ml straight up, maybe if i drink less but more times it would be different.

P.S. what does "embedded" mean?

Joshua Naterman

Embedded is explained in the book, but basically it means that you don't just hop up into a FL. You might pull yourself from a dead hang into a front lever, for example.

Coach's guys train for 2-3 hours after they do their WODs, so you should have no problem. They do exactly what is posted, scaled for their ability.

Just a quick question: What should i do if I want to follow the WOD's but I'm not able to do them 4 times a week but only 3 times?

Should i do them anyway and fall back further and further with my actual WOD, which isn't the real actual WOD? Does this sentence make any sense, but I hope you know what i mean!

Thanks a lot!

Joshua Naterman

I think that doing two WODs one of the days would be your best solution. If you don't want to do that, yes you could spread them out more but I am not quite sure how that will affect things. That would have to be a trial and error type thing.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Well then I think I will stick to my actual training protocol and maybe I will find the time to do the WOD's 4x a week in the near/middle future.

Warrior'sSuite
Embedded is explained in the book, but basically it means that you don't just hop up into a FL. You might pull yourself from a dead hang into a front lever, for example.

Coach's guys train for 2-3 hours after they do their WODs, so you should have no problem. They do exactly what is posted, scaled for their ability.

Alright, I guess I'll start doing the WOD's next week then, see how it goes.

But I wanted to ask you, how would you normally train for hypertrophy with bodyweight exercises? Right now I'm just doing the bodyweight ring curls like the video you made and bench dips because I'm actually not done finishing the dip belt, it'll probably be done tomorrow.

Joshua Naterman

Same way you train for hypertrophy with weights, you have to get stronger and do more volume. So you lift heavy on some workouts and lift more moderately on others. With bodyweight exercises you either add weight or pick harder variations (that you can still do properly) for your strength work.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
Dreadrok recently completed a cycle of Poliquin's GVT using gymnastics/BW exercises. Look at his workout log.

I have no idea how to implement FSP/statics with GVT though.

Hey Slizz - What is this GVT thing for BtGB? For more mass gain?

Joshua Naterman

Depends on implementation and what your body needs, but the primary benefit will be increasing vascularization which will set you up for much better healing in the areas you work.

It is a good cycle to use, but it can be difficult to use with BtGB. It is difficult to find the right intensity with bodyweight stuff.