Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Does dead lifting help to progress the back lever?

MichaelLee

Joshua Naterman

They are a great way to keep the glutes properly activated, which should help a lot of people.

Ace: I'm glad you're enjoying them!

Alex Dienaar

Short answer : No, it's too unspecific and like Slizz already said, the Reverse Hyper is the best test/exercise for your lower back strength in the Back Lever. A fun way to test if you have the strength for it, is to set up a reverse leg lift situation where you hold your arms above you at hip level (basically an upper body supported BL position) and hold your legs extended in the top of a reverse leg lift position. If you can hold this for about 15-20 seconds, lower back strength is not something you have to worry about. If this is hard to set up, generally a normal reverse leg lift position will also give some good feedback.

@ Slizz : I love you for bringing them up <3.I agree and I really recommend them as well, they've been a staple for my lower body for quite a while during my unilateral phase. They get your hip muscles firing like crazy and they have a great carry over to any hip-break, glute driven movement(Bilateral deadlift, GHR/NLC and general ability to activate and squeeze your glutes for more tension and body line on handstands). Not to mention that they are as far as I know the best damn loaded stretch for the hamstring/posterior chain you can find (adding pauses in the botton = delicious pain). Use these bad boys when you can for your lower body training to activate your hip muscles, fix unilateral balances and prepare for the bilateral goodies like NLC/GHR and increase your flexibility. Exercises don't get much better than that.

Joshua Naterman

Alex, it's funny that you say that because when I stretch my pike I tend to use a single leg deadlift position. I just notice much better gains there, it took me like 4 days to recover all the flexibility that I lost over the past few months since I stopped doing my pike work at the train station regularly.

Just like doing specific activation and strength work for every muscle that attaches to the shoulder blade will always be the key to maximizing upper body strength, doing specific strength and activation work for the muscles responsible for hip stability (rotation, abduction, adduction) will always be the key to developing extreme levels of lower body athletic ability. There are a lot of ways to do that stuff, but SLSL DL are just super convenient and effective!!!

Just remember guys: Look at muscle charts. The closer a muscle that crosses the shoulder joint attaches to the ball of the upper arm the more important it is to specifically strengthen that muscle. Same goes for the hips.

Philip Chubb

Slizzardman, I really like how you explain that the muscles that attatch to certain parts give a ton of return on your investment. With the hip, would a non weighted example be the hip rotations and extensions that show up in the WOD? I am looking to put together a few weeks of weak link training.

Joshua Naterman

Absolutely. If you read the whole thread about the hip extensions and rotations you'll see that the foot position matters a lot, because the rotation of the femur in the socket determines which deep hip muscles are the most active.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

everyone has different weaknesses and strengths i think.. after heavy deadlifting over 2x bw for 2 weeks i increase bl time by good 7 seconds