Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Coach: Outlining the gymnastic strength concept

gymrob

Coach,

I was wondering if you could help me out a little, but I also think this may help others out aswell :D . This would be VERY much appreciated. I hope these aren't obvious and I've checked and don't think this kinda stuff has been mentioned.

Basically, I have read a lot of your stuff on the internet and it has REALLY helped but I was wondering whether you could just outline a couple of things.

I really understand that a lot of the dynamic and static work that your athletes do are strength based, so with this in mind, do you employ traditional strength training concepts so to speak (not sure if this is the right term) but to gymnastics.

By this I mean this kinda structure:

Dynamic exercises:

5 reps or less per set (and is this sort of 50% of max number per set just like static holds?)

Around 2-5 sets per exercise

3-5 minutes rest in between sets

Limited number of exercises that work as many muscle groups as possible (I know your athletes may train many different exercises so

Full body routine is often favoured

Static holds:

Well you have said the total time for sets for planche and front lever and other static holds so I understand this (50% max holds) and 60 seconds total for tuck planche etc

What kind of ratio of static holds to dynamic exercises do you recomend? In a workout.

Also with programme design, what do you favour? If time isn't an issue what is most optimal? I've seen traditional methods followed, but also, others such as pairing antagonist muscle groups (supersets) etc. So really wanted to find this out. Finally do you recommend doing different exercises for each workout, or the same ones for a period of time? I've read that strength training everyday is optimal.

Thank you very much :)

Guest Valentin

Hi

I am interested to know the Coach's answer to this question as well. Personally with the gymnasts i coach time is an issue, and we have to do a lot in a short period of time, so i try to stick to traditional methods as best as i can (in that when i do legs with them, i have them do a leg exercises, followed by a core exercises as active rest)...so rest is generally active rather than passive (actually there is never passive rest). I wish the kids i coached were able to do more hours, sadly you deal with what you have.

Strength training should only be done everyday if you are training individual body parts/muscle groups. Doing legs for example (hardcore proper with proper training protocols) 2 days in a row is far from optimal, and you will lead to very quick overtraining. Even with one body part/session strength training 1 day a week should be rest. Not to mention that your 2nd day will be submaximal so its counter productive.

Aside from that i would also love to know what Coach Sommer recommends and does with his athletes.

Thanks,

Coach Sommer

You are perhaps getting a small glimpse as to why it took four years to integrate, outline and write the five books necessary to support all of the components inherent within the Gymnastic Bodies program. It is far more complicated than simply when & how much of a certain exercise to do. Concatenate is a verb which means "to make into a whole by joining a system of parts".

The main page WODs will be available soon. All of the planning and implementation for the various components is already provided for you there. The following link provides additional details as to when this will be and why I have not yet begun posting the WODs:

viewtopic.php?t=837

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer