Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Back Lever - tuck

Novice2Gymnastics

Novice2Gymnastics

I would like to use the recommended grip for the "Back Lever - tuck" (page 41 in the book "Building the Gymnastic Body").

I'd like to build up my neck and my grip before I do anything inverted because I'm worried about bad injuries (mainly what can happen from falling on my head) if I do that before my neck and grip are significantly stronger. However, I still want to do this exercise to build up my back and make it more possible to do leg front levers and planches.

Would it be possible to: grab the bars with my arms in front of me using an over-grip; rotate the arms (from the position just mentioned while still holding onto the rings) 180 degrees so that they're behind me, and; still have the recommended grip for the "Back Lever - tuck" as said in the book?

I tried that yesterday just to experiment. Sorry if my grammar's off or the wording is weird. Its a little hard for me to explain this without showing it, so I'm not sure if I worded this post right.

Gerald Mangona

A prerequisite to the Back Lever is a German Hang, and before you can do that, a prerequisite is a 60s chin-up grip hang with straight arms and turned-out arms/elbows. Start earlier on that progression scale, and you'll feel confident by the time you're at the point where you're inverted.

p.s. straight arm stuff is no joke, so watch your elbow health. If you can't do the chin-grip hang with fully straight elbows because of the pressure at the elbow joint, do it with slightly bent arms just so you can work on your grip strength. Work on your straight arm strength with plank leans. Yes, none of this is in the book... start here:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5265