Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The benefits from planche press to HS?

ashita

Hey guys, i'm wondering is that exercice is really helpfull or not, i mean can we gain a lot of benefits in term of strength from it ?

look this video, either do in a full planche or straddle, i planned to do it in a straddle position soon in my routine as i'm still enough strong to do it in a full(well i guess,i haven't try it lol) but i want to have an idea before.

thanks in advance

Coach believes press handstands are one of the best exercises in gymnastics. I would be willing to guess that in the next book, one of the progressions for press handstands would be planche presses. I'm sure there would be a lot to gain from it.

Lately, I've been practicing my HS on 18" boxes. Although I'm still not satisfied with the amount of momentum in my kick up it has helped tremendously figuring out the press HS functions. Eventually I will get the press off the end of the box but still working that strength. I work the negative as well but as yet still cannot drop into a planche hold at horizontal. I get to about 135 degrees and then that's it.

The benefit of the box work as I see it is the extra height helps you learn to control the kick up momentum.

Well for one it requires more strength than just holding a planche in the same position. So if getting stronger is your goal :) then yeah it's worth it.

PS to me a planche press handstand is one of the most awesome looking skills. I mean it literally looks as if the laws of physics are bending.

PS to me a planche press handstand is one of the most awesome looking skills. I mean it literally looks as if the laws of physics are bending.

Agreed. That is my favorite thing about pretty much everything on rings. I hope I could get that some day. Right now I can do it in a tuck but it's not the same.

Planche presses are an excellent exercise! One thing you have to remember is that planche presses and regular presses are very different. Doing planche presses will not develop regular presses and vice versa. The movement is completely different, and both should be developed when ready.

Dillon

Well for one it requires more strength than just holding a planche in the same position. So if getting stronger is your goal :) then yeah it's worth it.

Agreed. That is my favorite thing about pretty much everything on rings. I hope I could get that some day. Right now I can do it in a tuck but it's not the same.

It means you are ridiculous strong. This is good.
Planche presses are an excellent exercise! One thing you have to remember is that planche presses and regular presses are very different. Doing planche presses will not develop regular presses and vice versa. The movement is completely different, and both should be developed when ready.

Dillon

Thanks everyone for your answers.

Yes, it has always been a move i wanted to master , so beautiful.

Doing planche presses will not develop regular presses and vice versa

Cool at least now i know i don't need at all to master the regular presses before do my planche presses :) , i never worked on regular presses, mainly because i haven't a good flexibility and never wanted to work it(lazzy on this point :oops: ).

Anyway i'll try it soon in a full planche, once i'm back in my workout, if it's still too hard, i'll do in a straddle in my new routine...

Let's go to the next level :twisted:

Train hard everybody !

Niklas Slotte

Dillon

In what way are they different from a skill transference point of view? As I see it, the regular presses strive for maximal compression, which in turn brings the center of gravity closer and this way makes the lever shorter, making it easier. Planche presses are done with a straight body, of course. This lengthens the lever and makes them much harder. Planche press could develop straight arm press strength, which would help one to muscle through a regular press with less than optimal compression.

So is the main difference that planche presses don't help with the compression aspect of regular presses and the regular presses don't work the shoulders hard enough due to the shoulder's alignment over the hands (planche presses require a huge forward lean)? Wiser and more experienced minds are welcome to chime in.

/Niklas

Eddie Stelling

Obviously working a PL press is going to build strength in your shoulders and core, which would ultimately improve your strength in other moves, such as a HS press (if you already have one); however, they are completly different movements as Dillon described. Just as you described, the compressive strength and the shoulder strength in an open shoulder girdle is not worked the same in PL press. What Dillon is saying (correct me if I am wrong), is that you need to learn both movements to be able to do both movements. Don't expect to do a "proper" HS press from only working a PL press and vica versa. Having said that, I think it's safe to say that if you are doing full lay PL presses, most of the strength is there to do a full pike press HS. It will not take you long once you LEARN the movement. Something you still have to learn because it's different.

Eddie, you summed that up nicely. The difference between a planche press is more than just compression. The movements work completely different muscles. Planche press requires a lot of shoulder and lower back while a true press handstand will be a lote more in your core. They are further separated by the technique in which you press, which is very different. The planche press is done by leaning forward to the planche position, then pulling your feet up while simultaneously opening your shoulder angle. This is pretty much the exact opposite of a press handstand. There should be no lean. Your shoulders stay on top of your hands, and you slowly roll your vertebrae up in line with your shoulders 1 by 1 until your butt is in line with your shoulders and wrists. From there you simply bring your legs together to hit handstand.

What Dillon is saying (correct me if I am wrong), is that you need to learn both movements to be able to do both movements. Don't expect to do a "proper" HS press from only working a PL press and vica versa.

That's exactly what I am saying. I am naturally extremely unflexible, and so regular presses were really hard for me. I could do a straddle planche press pretty well though, and was always working those instead of the regular ones. My regular presses never got better. I finally kicked my self in the butt when after 2 years I still didn't have a solid press handstand. I started working a lot more presses of all kinds and my strength went way up. I now currently do 20 presses in my warmups. 5 planche, 5 pike through, 5 bowers, 5 straddle-l press. I'm still far from having great presses.

Dillon

I now currently do 20 presses in my warmups. 5 planche, 5 pike through, 5 bowers, 5 straddle-l press. I'm still far from having great presses.Dillon

Haha Warm-up :D That's awesome. I am a big fan of handstand presses. If you ever have the time you should definitely film that warm-up I am sure I am not the only one that would love to see it.

Razz,

I do each kind of press as a set of 5. So I do 5 planche presses, rest, then 5 pike throughs, etc. I am still not strong enough to do the 5 reps of each consecutively. So if I fail on 3 I'll shake out my arms to try again, but I'm striving to do all 5 in one set. On my pike throughs I am not yet flexible enough to get my legs through without touching the ground so I have to slide my feet a little.

Alexx,

When I can do them smoothly I will post. This really isn't that difficult for a decent gymnast, like i said presses have never been my strong suit.

Dillon

Eddie Stelling

Dillon, is this part of your warm up everyday? Is this part of your HS work or separate? And do you do this before you begin your FSPs? That's is awesome.

Eddie,

It's part of my warmup for every workout. As a gymnast I have a fairly decent handstand so I don't really do much handstand specific work. Remember I'm still training on all the events so I'm doing handstands continuously throughout the day. Almost every move either starts or ends in handstand. As stated I do the presses in warmup, and I condition at the end of my event training. I don't really train FSP's anymore. I mostly do advanced ring moves for conditioning. Again I've been training gymnastics with coach for a while now and what I'm doing is very different than what you should be doing. I had to go through the steps like everyone else.

For you, if you can already do the presses, I would work on them during your handstand work. I have a pressing day with my students which is dedicated solely to handstands and presses. They hate it :)

Dillon

I now currently do 20 presses in my warmups. 5 planche, 5 pike through, 5 bowers, 5 straddle-l press. I'm still far from having great presses.Dillon

Haha Warm-up :D That's awesome. I am a big fan of handstand presses. If you ever have the time you should definitely film that warm-up I am sure I am not the only one that would love to see it.

Yes, i would like to see new videos from coach's disciples.

Advanced ring moves , planche push up etc.... :)

Eddie Stelling

Thanks for your response Dillon! That's pretty ridiculous man! New videos would be awesome!