Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

approaching my goals with current capabilities

Strive

Hey there, currently i can do 35 push-ups, 3 handstand push-ups with wall, 12pull-ups, 10 dips.

I have 2 main goals now, which is to perform 4 muscle-ups and hold a straddle planche for maybe 2-4s, in 4months.

With 35 pushups, should i continue to improve the amount i can do, or start doing pseudo planche push-ups instead?

I can hold tucked planche in 10 sets of 6-8s, should i continue doing them or do something else?

Is it very possible to attain my goals in 4 months? How should i approach these goals to ensure smoother progress, can guys here pls share some tips and advices? Thanks! :D

Straddle planche. Not a chance in hell. Maybe a momentary straddle planche at 45 degrees above horizontal and that's a maybe.

4 MU, sure that is more technique and your strength levels are good enough for that.

Pseudo planche pushups and dips, perhaps HeSPU off a box.

Concentrate on getting stronger with better technique. If you set time limits for yourself you'll only end up sacrificing technique for the illusion of getting stronger.

Thanks for the replies! I see, can you guys give an estimation of how long it will usually take to get 2-4s of straddle planche in average? With the timeframe, i can better motivate myself to push and train more. Thats how my mind works (:

& anybody bought Dominic Lacasse training DVDs? Care to share your opinions on the DVDs?

Cheers & thanks!

You really shouldn't create a time frame. People progress at different speeds, and you don't want to disappointed if you don't achieve your goals before the set time, right?

I haven't heard of his DVD's.

We would need to know your lower body/core strength besides the numbers you'd already given us and height/weight.

Well for me, i always like do things within a time frame, so i can push myself. & even though i may not accomplish the goals by the end of the time frame, i wont be disappointed because i know that at least i have improved & that i have done my best. Without a timeframe, i find that i usually slack off abit. I use ''deadlines'' to motivate myself, thats how my mind works i guess. (:

I see, i might be getting 1-2 of his DVDs to try out.

How do i evaluate my lowerbody/core strength? Im 172cm, 65kg btw.

Cheers!

Alexander Moreen
Thanks for the replies! I see, can you guys give an estimation of how long it will usually take to get 2-4s of straddle planche in average? With the timeframe, i can better motivate myself to push and train more. Thats how my mind works (:

& anybody bought Dominic Lacasse training DVDs? Care to share your opinions on the DVDs?

Cheers & thanks!

A year or more unless you already have a full palms down back lever.

lowerbody strength? how much you can deadlift or squat.

core strength? well if you can stabilize a lot of weight in the dead or squat, that's a good starter.

you can also test hollow hold, body lever, L-sit/hang

best thing for you would be to go on a steady state cycle of FSP+FBE.

5'7" 172cm and 65kilos (145lbs) leaves you at pretty good dimensions for gymnastics work, not great but good enough. you may not have enough muscle mass nor do i know your body composition.

I didnt do much deadlift or squats, but from the past experiences i am very sure i can deadlift my bodyweight. I cant still squat my bodyweight though.

I cant do L sit yet. Only when my legs are tucked.

Yeah i guess i dont have enough muscle mass.

Whats body composition? BMI, bodyfat? My BMI is 22, i dont know my bodyfat.

What do you mean by ''steady state cycle''? Anyway where can i get the list of FSP?

Thanks for the replies! (:

SSC and FSP are in the book, BtGB.

DL your BW isn't very special. Most kids can do that as can roughly everybody should be able to.

You need to train more core and lower leg strength. Inability to have a good L means planches and levers are a pipe dream.

if you were looking to improve your gymnastics, I would merely work the deadlift besides BW lower body stuff such as deck squats and SLS and jumping lunges, box jumps, other plyo stuff.

simpler than the barbell squat, no need for racks, good BW str carryover

another idea would be is the step-up. however, DL probably trains core harder