Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tabata

Edward Smith

Edward Smith

I've decided to put some Tabata into my training. I just have a couple of questions about it.

1. What level of effort should be applied?

2. Does it have to be 8 rounds (of 20 seconds on, 20 seconds off) or can it be adjusted slightly?

3. Is it enough to do it once a week? and for one set or multiple sets?

Thanks for your contribution,

Ed

Taken from Ross Training

http://www.rosstraining.com/articles/tabataintervals.html

Effects of moderate-intensity endurance and high-intensity intermittent training on anaerobic capacity and VO2max.

Tabata I, Nishimura K, Kouzaki M, Hirai Y, Ogita F, Miyachi M, Yamamoto K.

Department of Physiology and Biomechanics, National Institute of Fitness and Sports, Kagoshima Prefecture, Japan.

This study consists of two training experiments using a mechanically braked cycle ergometer. First, the effect of 6 wk of moderate-intensity endurance training (intensity: 70% of maximal oxygen uptake (VO2max), 60 min.d-1, 5 d.wk-1) on the anaerobic capacity (the maximal accumulated oxygen deficit) and VO2max was evaluated. After the training, the anaerobic capacity did not increase significantly (P > 0.10), while VO2max increased from 53 +/- 5 ml.kg-1 min-1 to 58 +/- 3 ml.kg-1.min-1 (P < 0.01) (mean +/- SD). Second, to quantify the effect of high-intensity intermittent training on energy release, seven subjects performed an intermittent training exercise 5 d.wk-1 for 6 wk. The exhaustive intermittent training consisted of seven to eight sets of 20-s exercise at an intensity of about 170% of VO2max with a 10-s rest between each bout. After the training period, VO2max increased by 7 ml.kg-1.min-1, while the anaerobic capacity increased by 28%. In conclusion, this study showed that moderate-intensity aerobic training that improves the maximal aerobic power does not change anaerobic capacity and that adequate high-intensity intermittent training may improve both anaerobic and aerobic energy supplying systems significantly, probably through imposing intensive stimuli on both systems.

There's some information, the intervals are 20 seconds sprinting and 10 second rests. You should do at least do 7-8 intervals as stated, which are pretty much sets. The reason why it is so short is because you should be hitting your Target ceiling or 70% maximum effort you can put into sprinting you butt off. Many people have talked about puking and other things after doing Tabata intervals, take it easy, I use to do them they kick your butt every step of the way, but your mile will go up in no time, and if you train any sort of fighting style Tabata intervals will condition you great.

Train cardio like you do anything else, every other day; but at the least 3 times a week, it's tough to get out there and just run for fun and kick you own butt doing it with Tabata but it does work, I'm not about the v02 max gains because I've read articles that say you cannot increase your v02 max but Tabata does the job overall.