Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sloppy handstand walking training?

Paolo

how are these guys able to walk on their hands/do HS tricks, when their forms appear to be "sloppy"?

Some patters I see are:

1.) Back is arched

2.) Legs are arched and not together.

3.) Head is sticking out (kinda)

This looks like a gymnastic coach's nightmare lol.

First guys is a breakdancer/freerunner, second guy is just a freerunner, and the last guy is just a random handstand progression video that I liked because he combined hollowback pressing and planche with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k58-kxhCgZ0

Anyway these are my long term goals.

Right now I'm trying to put in 60 minutes of handstands spread out over a 6 hour period (I have not been consistent, I think th most was 8 minutes because I become distracted Should I cram that 60 minute period into three hours instead or maybe even two?). I kick up into a handstand up against a wall and hold it for 2 minutes. It's easier when my back is against the wall. When I tried putting my stomach to the wall it became signifcantly much more difficult. I am only able to hold it for raround 45 seconds. Also I've went through the stickies, about wall runs, which are also challenging as well. Coach Sommers has suggested putting your hands as close to the wall as possible if not exaclty against the wall, which I tried, and failed, and rolled forward. If you can put your wrists up against a wall without falling over, you are then capable of doing a solid handstand, which I think I read somewhere.

I think I'll upload a video to demonstrate my skill or lack of for a better answer.

Hopefully I can achieve this within a 10-12 month period, minus the planche, but overcoming obstacles on my hands would be a plus, if not just walking. :D

Thanks

David Picó García
how are these guys able to walk on their hands/do HS tricks, when their forms appear to be "sloppy"?

Because it's easier to walk that way than fully extended.

Aaron Griffin

It wasn't considered "sloppy" 50 years ago, and it's not really sloppy in circus performances. It's only sloppy when compared to gymnasts. By the same token, gymnasts running are often seen as sloppy by professional sprinters. It's just a different sport with different criteria.