Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

4 Day Fever

Tarun Suri

Hi guys, I really have no where to turn but here right now. I'm hoping someone can give me advice or guide me in the right direction.

Since Thurdays night, I've been feeling ill. That night, I slept with 4 layers on and I was still shivering... in Singapore, where it's pretty much always at least 25 degrees celcius. Since then I've had at least one fever a day. What's worse is that, I have 0 energy. Walking to the bathroom is enough to make me stumble even while walking at 0.5km/h. Walking to the hawker center to get food makes me feel like I will faint soon (about 200 meters away). I also have an irritated throat, with a cough that hurts every time. I often switch between feeling very cold or very hot.

The worst is that the NUS Health Center phone line says they have no doctors in this week. The National Univeristy Hospital says they'll get back to me in 3 business days, due to the holiday this thursday and friday, that means I'll get an answer in over a week. In this foreign country, I don't know what papers I need, etc.

I guess this was a bit of a rant, because the last 4 days have felt like 8. All I do is sleep on such a lousy bed, that my lower back kills every time I switch position (my arms and hands keep falling asleep too (even in the coffin position!)

If there anything I can do nutritionally to help me. I've mostly been eating eggs, fruits, some veggies, and chicken. I had soup yesterday (won ton). What about vitamin C. Can I take fruits that have that without further irritating my throat? Or will I have to take pills?

First time I'm sick in over 2 years... and I'm even eating paleo now. I just want to get better :(

I've been afraid of this post.

Asia is great, except, us westerners always get sick. My personal favorite was going to the airport in New Delhi, knowing i was coming down with food poisoning, forcing myself on to the airplane to fly home, then once the plane was in the air to begin vomiting for the next 24 hours, followed by 2 days in bed....

Its been since Thursday -

GET TO THE HOSPITAL ANYWAY YOU CAN NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Could be Malaria, Dengue Fever, food poisoning........

Please post back when you're on your feet again and let us know how you are.

• Upvote 1

Sure Blairbob, and thanks for sharing your unfortunate experience. It teaches me that my situation could be much worse.

When I posted earlier, I was in frustration mode because of the lack of doctors available. Additionally, my cough was getting out of control. When I finally had a stable internet connection, I posted on fb, and some locals told me about nearby private clinic.

Life savers.

I was scared about the price. I was also worries whether or not I can make it that far. Luckily, instead of feeling 5% this morning, I was feeling more like 15%, so I took the risk and went. They immediately took my temperature, since if you have a fever, you would admit you immediately.

No luck.

The one time, I needed a fever, I didn't have it. After 2 hours, I was told I have a fever virus (too drained to ask more questions). This fever virus has the symptom is appearing and disappearing frequently/erratically. In fact, by the time I got into the doctor's room, I had a high fever!

I have 4 medication on me right now:

antibiotics: to be used after 2 days, if fevers persist. If begun, must finish all 30 capsules.

tablets for headaches (don't need them).

Vitamin C's (awesome)

Prescription(?) lozenges: Can't take more than 3 a day.

Total price: $32 SGD :shock: This would have easily costed me much more back home. Over $100 at least.

I'm just hoping that I won't need to begin taking them in 2 days, because that will mean the fevers are still there.

My question now is, if I have fevers within the next 2 days, should I continue taking Tylenols and its' equivalents?

Moments after posting, I vomit.

EDIT: My mom used to tell me that puking is a sign is getting better. Is this a myth?

OK good you got to a Doctor!

Now if you start vomiting, don't panic! Do keep hydrated! Drink bottled water ONLY

Sometimes even water will make you vomit, if so the absolute best thing is COCA COLA, its the only thing i can keep down, and even then only in small doses. The sugar is also good for you at this time as your system needs some energy.

!ts not a sign of getting better now.

When you have strength, call the clinic, tell them you were just there and the diagnosis you were given, let them know that you have started to vomit. This is important, if they tell you to come in do it. If you need to be in the hospital, find a way to contact your family. Find out what kind of insurance you have, i'm sure you have a student insurance of some kind. If not, Western Union.

Second, if you're really bad off, crawl if you need to knock on your neighbors door and get them to help get you to a clinic.

At times like this, you want friends, you will need water etc.

Hang in there my friend!

Hey good to hear from you!

There's a time and place for everything, enjoy the soda!

I've actually been worried, glad you are well enough to post, keep us updated.

Thank you for your concern. I'm touched at how much this community has helped me, from WODs, to general health :)

Internet has been great with me lately.

Last night while sleeping, my cough was uncontrollable. I must have been at it for an hour. I think I clenched my jaws so tight to keep my roomate from waking up (fail), that today my teeth are hurting. I realized that I my body probably wants to puke again... and I did. But the thing is, I had nothing to release. Some water... that's it. Still my body was trying to eject something. When I was finally exhausted from trying, my cough subsided.

My high fevers have subsided, I had 1 medium fever this afternoon. I took pills and slept for a few hours. My energy level is closer to 35% now. I can definitely get around now, but no exertion. I'm still frequently having low fevers under the 38 degrees celcius mark. I think they're there when I get a chill. The thermometer always confirms it.

Here is what I'm contemplating right now:

• 1. Should I go to school tomorrow? School is gigantic and and I will be taking a lot of stairs. If I don't go and I want to not lose marks, I would have to go back to the doctor, but prove I'm still having fevers. Participation marks shouldn't be valued that high I think...
    2. Should I start taking my antibiotics tomorrow? I assume low fevers are still considered fevers.
    3. My cough is getting pretty bad. And I have a hunch that the lozenges are making it worse...

The above is more for me to write down so that I can make a decision, but I welcome input. Regardless of my decisions, I need to try to get out of here by Thursday. Due to Chinese New Year, Hawker centers are closing down, some stores (including my favourite chicken place) for en entire week! I only have eggs!

Decisions, decisions...

It's been a whole week now. No signs of improvement. Started taking my antibiotics today. Should last me for 5 days.

I really need to find some cough medicine as well.

Are you still vomiting, or is flashes of fever? I'd consider a trip back to the clinic if its not doing better when the meds run out. These tropical fevers can really be tenacious, so make sure you are clear to get back on your feet. Better than risking permanent damage, imho.

• Upvote 1

No vomiting, thanks to some coke whenever I feel the need for it.

Everything here is closed now due to the holidays, at last until Monday. Looks like I'll have to hold on.

Permanent damage? What do you mean?

• 2 years later...

Are you still vomiting, or is flashes of fever? I'd consider a trip back to the clinic if its not doing better when the meds run out. These tropical fevers can really be tenacious, so make sure you are clear to get back on your feet. Better than risking permanent damage, imho.

Although I haven't posted (at all I think) after that post, I just wanted to let you know that I didn't die Mr. Brady  :lol: Or should I say Cole Dano!

• Upvote 1

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.