Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Flag/Side Lever Question

Nic Scheelings

Nic Scheelings

Hi all,

I'm making good progress with my flag training and have a fairly solid straddle flag with my right hand as the bottom pressing hand. However i'm finding with my left hand on the bottom, progress has been far slower and i can't really hold at all. Just wondering if others notice a similar strength inbalance with this move, as i feel it's a very noticeable difference and if there's any potential problems to arise from having this strength imbalnce in my shoulders.

Cheers

Nic

Coach Sommer

Yes, it is quite common to initially have one arm significantly stronger than the other; and yes, such a strength imbalance can lead to future injuries. I recommend slowing down the progress on your dominant arm until your weaker arm catches up.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

i have this problem too. i can hold a straddle flag with my right arm but with the left i cant even hold the tuck version. il do what coach suggested

• 2 weeks later...
Nic Scheelings

As a follow up i just wanted to report that i've made good progress on the side lever and can now do a straddle with both hands Hooray! :D

my right hand is still stronger but it's not so noticeable anymore!

Guest jumpupandfly

Hey demus how did you go about learning this move?

Are there any specific excersizes other than just attempting to jump up and hold the tucked version? (which is the starting point i think)

Start off with handstand push ups, then move onto wide handstand push ups to work shoulder strength, work your obliques at least that was my weakest point, make sure to work them static holds and also do dynamic exercises with that, work side laterals with dumbbells.

Nic Scheelings

Kbryk is right some solid hspu against a wall is a good starting point for the strength required. After that it is merely jumping up and trying to do negatives on the way down, after a while it gets easier and all of a sudden u will hold :) !