Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How much weight can you dips as extra weight ?

ashita

Christian Sørlie

72! I thought for sure you weighed more than that Razz, specially after seeing you at the seminar.

I would like to weigh less as well, 84 now makes rings a bit more challenging.

Oh yeah, since this is dip + weight, mine is around 100 pounds @ 84kg(190?pounds).

Just for fun, how does that translate for bench for people, I can do 225-235 for one good rep. Not that I bench anymore, but tried the other day just to see.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Razz

• Joshua Naterman

• ashita

• Eddie Stelling

My bench is around 100-105kg aswell :) Nah I'm no more than 72, been wondering how I would look if I did a mass gain to 80kg :mrgreen: (except fat :P )

I did 35kg today without problems but then gave up on adding more weight as I was alone and we don't have a dip belt or anything that might come in handy. My hardest pushing exercise is probably 3-5 reps of XR bulgarian HSPU. Bodyweight ~72kg

Thanks for your participation, too bad you couldnt add more :(

With or without feets on strap on the XR bulgarian HSPU?

I weigh 58kg

bench press: 80kg for 3 reps

dips: extra 50kg for 5 reps

Thanks to you , but what is the harder pushing exercice you can do ?

I would like aslo to try my max on bench press, to get an idea, i think i'm around 140 kg maybe less or more but at least 130 kg i think.

i need to try someday

Ashita you are a beast! I will try one day where I get an opportunity to add more weight though. Without feet on straps but sometimes I have to catch the straps in the top to make sure I don't fall.

Thanks lol , i come out my next video in the month of february , my showreel, you'll get an idea of my skill , i made a lot of progress, crazy progress.

Awesome for the HSPU on ring , i never tried because my home set up is quite dangerous, not really practical for this , but i'm waiting a new equipment and then i'll normally be able to practise them , can't wait because HSPU is too easy, need to put a weighted vest etc, so, the only way i have not try yet it is on ring, and i think it'll be pretty challenging :D

This is the only one which rest to me before master all HSPU with both arms. :oops:

Train hard !

Eddie Stelling

I haven't forgotten about it! I had to take a week off of anything upperbody. Pulled a muscle in the upper forearm. I will give it a go first of the week next week. Question for you Ashita:

- Are you doing the FSP steady state and the WODs or your own routine?

- If you are doing FSP + WODs, how do you personally work in the additional specific stuff and/or weighted work?

- If doing your own routine, how did you set yours up? Is it a split like M-push, T-pull.....or hit everything everyday you train?

Just curious.

Thanks!

@ Eddie : Sorry for the injury , have a good rest. i'm also resting at this time , a bit sick, off from training since a week :shock:

start to be really irritating.

When i did WOD , i only did it once a week, now i cant because i can't use my ring for some technical reason, but in a week or so, i'll be back on ring but i won't do WOD for the moment, just some exercice on ring but not follow the WOD.

So when i do a WOD, first it depends of the WOD , what the WOD make you work, considering this i add or not some FBE in my warm up, same for the FSP, sometimes Pl is worked in the WOD sometimes not, if it's not, i add them in my FSP in the warm up.

But i do always almost only the WOD and don't add FBE because i do them the others days with my own routine, here i speak about the hard FBE(pl pu,90° pu, HSPU...), not basic like push up, pull up or dips, those i do them all the time in my WU like a ton of others stuff, but i add FSP if i have to.

With my own routine i do full body each day(upper body ), but each day a different variation for the most of my exercices.

Eddie Stelling

Thanks Ashita! I appreciate it! My elbow feels way better, can't wait to hit it hard this evening. Good luck with getting better. I will let you know about that weighted dip!

Eddie Stelling

Arm is completely healed. Went for the dip yesterday. The setup was not ideal, I had to use the handles on the end of a GHD machine and had some trouble with the weight hitting the ground at the bottom of the dip. I stacked some plates under the GHD and got a full ROM dip with: Bodyweight = 163 lbs (74 kg) + 172 lbs (78 kg) addtional weight! I had 3 weight vests (82 lb) on and (2) 45 lb plates hanging from a belt.

Nice ! Eddie ! Well done , you pushed an extra weight of 105 % of your BW.

And about your harder pushing variation ?? What is it ?

Eddie Stelling

Thanks! Currently @ 163 lb (74 kg) I can do:

-3-5 HSPU on rings feet around straps

-3-5 full ROM HSPU on parallets with feet on wall

-3 HeSPU freestanding (before I lose balance)

-25 HeSPU feet on wall.

-I can also lower from HS to bent arm PL but can only press back to a HeS (like a 90 deg pushup to a head stand).

-My bench press is probably around 275 lb (125 kg), haven't done it in awhile.

The sad part is that I can't hold a tuck PL for more than 20-30s and my hips drop after about 10s. Frustrating.

Eddie Stelling

Ashita, I have not done a weighted dip in years! Probably only done them like 3 times in my whole life! I used to do lots of body weight dips before every workout (around 50-100) when I was lifting weights doing the body builder split. By the way, I was so sore after doing this that I had to take the rest of the week off! The triceps were trashed!

Razz, thank you sir!I do have a rather strong bench and very strong shoulders for my size. When I was doing the body builder weight lifting I lifted with my buddy who is huge. The only choice he gives you is the heavy choice! What really got my bench up was doing incline dumbbells and pushups bro! I used to do pushups all day every day when I was in school (went to a military college - The Citadel). I still can't do half the stuff you can! I thought the strong chest and shoulders would help with PL but my progress is slow man.

Ashita, I have not done a weighted dip in years! Probably only done them like 3 times in my whole life! I used to do lots of body weight dips before every workout (around 50-100) when I was lifting weights doing the body builder split. By the way, I was so sore after doing this that I had to take the rest of the week off! The triceps were trashed!

Ok it was just to know if that strength came from the weighted dips or the HSPU on ring because you do not do any really hard pushing exercice for now,i'm not saying you are weak, i'm just saying you don't do planche push up ,90° push up, or even harder... so i guess without those HSPU on ring, considering what you do besides, you couldnt push what you did.

Anyway thanks for your participation :)

Wow Ashita you look pretty big in your videos to only weigh 145 lbs

Lol nah you misunderstood

Random example : i can do 3 planche push up on parralel bar, and i can dips an extra weight of 170 lbs at a weight of 145 lbs....

This is a random example like i said, it's not me, currently i weight +/-159 lbs ^^ and i can do so much more than 3 Planche push up lol and also push a lot of more than 170 lbs ^^

If you want to see some of my pics, go on my facebook profile. :wink:

Eddie Stelling

No offense taken my friend! Definitely not capable of harder pushing variations like you. I would definitely say that ring HSPUs have extreme strength gain benefits. I feel like they will be way easier once I can get the balance to do them with out using the straps. Having to fight the friction of the straps against my legs on the way up is seriously difficult.

This is a good experiment. It goes to show that the higher level Gymnastic Strength Training™ carries over to very good strength gains in other easier movements, but that stength gains in traditional movements does not carry over to higher level gymnastics strength. Ex. = Training only weighted dips would not increase my HSPU strength (any variation) nearly as much as HSPU work would increase my weighted dip strength. Side Note = If I don't get an adv. tuck PL soon I am going to freak out!

No offense taken my friend! Definitely not capable of harder pushing variations like you. I would definitely say that ring HSPUs have extreme strength gain benefits. I feel like they will be way easier once I can get the balance to do them with out using the straps. Having to fight the friction of the straps against my legs on the way up is seriously difficult.

I will tell you how Xr HSPU will affect my progression, i should able to start doing them in a few weeks, i'm still waiting my equipment.

This is a good experiment. It goes to show that the higher level Gymnastic Strength Training™ carries over to very good strength gains in other easier movements, but that stength gains in traditional movements does not carry over to higher level gymnastics strength. Ex. = Training only weighted dips would not increase my HSPU strength (any variation) nearly as much as HSPU work would increase my weighted dip strength. Side Note = If I don't get an adv. tuck PL soon I am going to freak out!

Yes, if you do only weighted dips, you must do also at the same time "HSPU" to have benefits from the weighted dips over the HSPU.

Weighted dips helped me to increase my planche , Pl push up, HSPU...., whereas i just started to do it about one month ago.

Lol why the adv.tuck is easy to get ^^

Often it's a lack of core strength whereas most people think they have weak shoulder, it can be both, but most of time they have weak core strength and it unlock the situation.

The lower back is much more solicited on this variation.

David Picó García
It goes to show that the higher level Gymnastic Strength Training™ carries over to very good strength gains in other easier movements, but that stength gains in traditional movements does not carry over to higher level gymnastics strength

Ashita are you trying to demonstrate the opposite? That truly heavy dips have carryover over other exercises?

No, the interest of the topic it's to see the carryover from high gymnastic move to weighted dips.

Before i have created this topic, i never did any heavy weighted dips, before i'm able to push more than 220 lbs as extra weight on me...

Before this, the heaviest weighted dips i did, was with 65 lbs on me, only in my endurance workout about set of 10-15 reps, and i haven't do a lot and it was a while ago.

However, the others time when i did dips with more weight, it was just when i tried to check my max.

But now i have started to do weighted dips because i want do push my double BW as extra weight.

I could have taken the choice to not do any weighted dips until i'm able to do that double BW, but i see that do heavy weighted dips help me to improve my planche, HSPU and so forth, so i keep doing it.

It was just a comment to eddie.

Eddie Stelling
It goes to show that the higher level Gymnastic Strength Training™ carries over to very good strength gains in other easier movements, but that stength gains in traditional movements does not carry over to higher level gymnastics strength

Ashita are you trying to demonstrate the opposite? That truly heavy dips have carryover over other exercises?

Sorry, I should have been less vague. It does carry over but only coupled with specific gymnastics movements like ashita just explained. My point was that by me doing only very heavy weighted dips, I am not going to be able to do a better PL or HSPUs as I get stronger at my dip without working the PL or HSPUs. The other side to that is, that by achieving the PL or improving HSPUs I will most certainly improve my weighted dip. That's why working them together(especially when you are a beast like ashita) :evil: , that is my jealous face, is highly beneficial!

And yes I know ashita, I am a freaking wimp! I still can't hold an advanced tuck PL!! Its so frustrating. I have worked up to about 2-3 sec straddle FL, an very solid 10s full lay BL, 45s L-sit on floor, and a really gross tuck PL for about 30s! The first 8-10s my hips are real high then they drop and the outside of my knees touch the inside of my arms. Feels like I am doing it wrong. I am going to tape it soon and get some digital coaching. I should be further along than this!!