Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Post workout pain

Daniel Boakye

Daniel Boakye

Wasn't sure where to put it, so I thought the more general section would be best.

Had a session this time last week learning back tucks for the first time. I spent about an hour doing them non stop and am (my estimate) about 80% there. I can land them on plain padded floor/grass etc, but my technique isn't perfect yet.

Regardless, the issue is after last week's session, about an hour and a half of constant practise (overdoing it perhaps) I've had this awful pain in my middle 2 abs

_ _

(_|_)

(x|x)

(_|_)

If you get me. Normally it's fine, but at a practise sessions this week, doing pretty much any sort of activity that remotely involves those muscles is pretty painful.

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar. I'm assuming it's just I've pulled or strained something, but I'm quite confused because it's not an exercise where I'm particularly pulling on them (or is it?), or arching like a back handspring, and that it's lasted so long. I've strained myself doing things like aerials (Sides) before, but the pain has been a lot more immediate (this recent pain wasn't until post workout), and lasted a lot less.

I realise this is a gymnastics not medical board, but wonder if anyone can share some insight?

Congratulations. You just entered the learning back tucks for the first time! I had the same issue after I learned them. I couldn't do anything ab related for a while. It will go away and you will get used to it. Just like cramping when people first start working on straddle Ls.

I don't do any flips or tumbling but I've learned a backtuck a couple of years ago when I went to a professional gymnastics gym with my capoeira buddies and I remember the pain :D I think I read somewhere that it is caused by the 'extension under tension' of your abs when you jump and throw your arms up, followed by the rapid contraction of the abs when you tuck.

Yep.

Most people when learning a standing back tuck or doing them, will arch and stretch their back leaning back and then tuck. So stretch, contract in a very fast contraction.

I thought I replied but it looks like it disappeared. Blairbob, is the technique you described incorrect and sore abs are a sign of improper technique?

Sore abs is not a sign of incorrect technique. In fact I believe one of the better abdominal workouts is just standing back tucks for time.

Sore abs is not a sign of incorrect technique. In fact I believe one of the better abdominal workouts is just standing back tucks for time.

I concur. I actually use to do this as a finisher to my workouts for abdominal training, when I also did tumbling.

Philip, most people do back tucks this way when they start out. Think of it as a work in progress.

Preferably, jump straight up, no lean back, body hollow, tuck/pike over. Still this takes a lot of ab strength to do without arching and also commitment to throw the head back.

Philip, most people do back tucks this way when they start out. Think of it as a work in progress.

Preferably, jump straight up, no lean back, body hollow, tuck/pike over. Still this takes a lot of ab strength to do without arching and also commitment to throw the head back.

Thank you. I figured the first just wasn't optimal but not completely off. I'll try to remember this when I am working mine.