Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Handbalancing

Wheelson

Hey all I just recently took a serious quest to become comfortable on my hands, with the ultimate goal being a one handed handstand.

I've been watching videos of many of the great balancers not only on this forum, but throughout the web. They all seem to have a set of progressions and exercises on, and off the wall to help them get and maintain the rock solid base of a free handstand. I know how to achieve the free handstand, but I'm wondering where to go from there. There are clearly so many stops on the path from a basic handstand to a one handed handstand, but what those positions and exercises are, I have no clue. I've seen tucked handstands, semi tucked, straddled, splits, the list goes on, but what is truly helpful in gaining the natural feel on your hands?

I was hoping one of the more experienced handbalancers or equilibrists or anyone with handstand knowledge could offer me some guidance. It would be much appreciated

-Will

:D

yuri marmerstein

first, you need to continuously work on your line. the better your position in handstand is, the easier all progressions will be to learn

before moving to one hand training you should be able to comfortably move your legs into various positions on two hands without compromising your position or your balance

it's a good idea to work presses and handstand pushups as well to build up strength and active flexibility.

what is your current level?

I'm not that far to be honest, but I can continually get 10-15 second freestanding holds while doing body line drills with the occasional longer hold, but kicking up into a handstand I just can't seem to find the sense of balance as easily. I may have gotten too comfortable with using the wall as a safety blanket, because I never truly learned to roll out from the handstand, so the kicking up to freestanding may be a mental block rather than a balancing issue.

I have no clue where to go once my handstand is in fact solid; I know I won't see a one hander for a long time (or even move past two handed), but I know I could see the next step or variation rather quickly. I just need to learn where the path will take me.

thanks for the quick reply Yuri, your videos and dedication are a huge inspiration to me

-Will

edit: as far as presses, my straddle and pike flexibility are far too poor to be able to work them at this point, so that is also a priority.

John Sapinoso

Oh I gotta bookmark this thread as one to watch, I'm also interested in any drills for aspiring beginners in hand balancing.

To the OP: I reached a 60 second freestanding two handed handstand then I started work on some of these leg position and leaning drills a few months ago and can (very) occasionally do a 1-3 second one arm handstand on a (very) good day. Long ago I attempted to train one arms, when I was around the 5-10 second handstand mark, and I literally made zero progress. I'd say hitting that 60 second mark has been crucial in making any progress.

However, I'm almost convinced that to achieve a high level of success in this area, we will need hands on coaching, but I'm also willing to work drills solo until I can find a mentor.

IFoNFD7d0Dw .

As Yuri said, the line is very important. If your shoulders aren't very open now, start working on that. I am still opening mine completely and I am almost there but it is quite a long (but very fun) process. Also, a good trainer rocks. I have one and have made incredible improvement with her plus the handstand days in the WODs. I litterally went from a 5 second handstand to a fifteen second one once as soon as she gave me one correction. The WODs improved my endurance. Now I spend more quality time on my hands and less with my arms giving out.

It was more my own problem with not being able to correct a arching handstand. I can save one by pressing if I fall backward but removing the arch was difficult because I would correct it only with my stomach. Now when I arch forward and begin to lose the handstand, I correct my stomach back into a hollow position and extend my shoulders at the same time. I forgot why she said it works but it did and my times shot up. It just goes to show how good coaching really is. If you didn't understand that just tell me and I'll try to reword it.

Bruno Cochofel
As Yuri said, the line is very important. If your shoulders aren't very open now, start working on that. I am still opening mine completely and I am almost there but it is quite a long (but very fun) process. Also, a good trainer rocks. I have one and have made incredible improvement with her plus the handstand days in the WODs. I litterally went from a 5 second handstand to a fifteen second one once as soon as she gave me one correction. The WODs improved my endurance. Now I spend more quality time on my hands and less with my arms giving out.

Hi, when you say "shoulders open" do you mean they must be in the same line as chest? I'm still trying to figure out what's the right line for handstand..

thx

Yes. Able to extend above your head without you having to arch your back to compensate. Look up Ido's band routine and Coach's wall extensions.