Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

alternative methods of training BW

Gym Stunts

Just thinking about alternative methods of achieving Body weight positions. I don't think these should replace standard extensively laid out plans, but I'm curious if they can be made useful in addition.

Doing bw work out in a pool with shallow water, planches and a "laid out" maltese. Think a sort of inverted back lever, weight on the hands, chest to the sky, body straight. Gradually lowering the water levels in the same 6-8 week progressive plan.

Doing a ring planche on rings with the as high to the ceiling as you can fit, so when you press up your back touches the ceiling.

The thought process behind these is that training a full body extension lever with variable levels of stress is very effective in training up to doing it freestanding without assistance. And while the "maltese" variation is most likely physically impossible to do freestanding, it would be helpful in a raw strength development.

Am I right about this?

Heh, I like the water idea... some of the guys played with that at the beach during the Mallorca seminar.

How about this; start with a tub saturated with epsom salts, like those flotation tanks, and gradually dilute as you progress. Any science types able to suggest liquids less dense than water to continue without lowering the water level?

I think the water idea would work extremely well for cross and cross pulls. Would take some setting up. Maybe get a large drum and fill it with water. Start doing cross pulls or something. Could use a double progression scheme. Once you increase your performance by 3 reps or so, drop the water level.

Alexander Moreen

Unless you are overweight, your legs don't float. So putting your legs in a drum of water isn't going to give you any buoyant lift. I have definitely messed around with pool floatation devices and trying to do a small cross directly above the water.

Philip Chubb

It would work and certainly could be a tool in the box. But could also be difficult to implement. Keep in mind as well, the further you get away from the real motion, the less benefit you will get from it. The same thing could be done with bands which would be much closer to the movement and provide a better stimulus. However, as I said before, the water is a good tool in the box and one I have also used extensively.

In theory the water works, but it's so much hassle. Why not just use a simple counterweight pulley? You can just use .25 or .5kg plates if you are worried about too big steps.

The idea came from me not having a lot of room in m apartment to do build a pulley system properly. I started doing the "laid out maltese" in my bath tub for kicks, and it made me curious about the science behind it. I agree, counterweights or a partner to train with, would be better and is on the list of things to have on the next move.

I mean sure you can use it but adjusting resistance is gonna be so damn hard at least if you want to monitor progression!