Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Getting Started Correctly

Anthony King

It is definitely easier to assume that you are stronger and skip over certian progressions. I understand that. I re hurt my shoulder again a couple of months back doing jsut that. Thanks to slizz it is better now. But some of us need harsh reality in order to do the right thing for our body :lol:

Aaron Griffin
Plank 60s

Rev plank 60s

Hollow hold 3x20s

Arch hold 4x15s

Chin-up hold 2x40s

Support 2x35s

Does this sound reasonable? Can I add 3x25s tuck L-sit there?

I'm in the same boat as you with the whole "starting and stagnating" thing, so I've also gone back to these.

But I'm not doing it *exactly* as prescribed. I've fiddled with things a bit. So I do:

60s Plank -> 3x30s PB L-Sit (tuck)

60s Rev Plank -> 3x20s Straddle-L (bent)

3x20s Hollow

3x20s Arch

I figure the L-Sit tuck is a good compromise between L-sit work and PB support. Plus, I can only do 60/60/40 on the tuck, so there's room for improvement there. Also, I'm not doing the chin hang yet because my shoulder rotators seem to suck and the chin hang hurts my wrists pretty bad. I'm currently stretching that out and will add it in next cycle

Hello everyone. My name is Felix. I am new to this forum and to gymnastics. I want to tell you a little about myself before I ask questions. Ever since I can remember myself I was always overweight. I am a 31 year old male 5'11. About 5 months ago I decided that I want to do gymnastics despite all the discouragement I got from my friends, that I was too old too fat etc. On May 20th 2011 I weighed in at 275lbs at the height of 5'11. I went on a strict low carb diet and started running about 3-4 times per week. I also used to be a smoker, which I quit at the same time I started to exercise. Started to do pushups pullups and abdominal exercises. It's embarrassing to say but I couldn't even do a single pull up. Today the 9th of November 2011 I am 225lbs and am able to do 5 pullups on my own. I discovered this website a couple of weeks ago and bought the book and the rings. The Book is wonderful I can start doing some of the exercises their with the progressions that it outlines. It is difficult for me to do most of the exercises in the book because I am still very heavy so my questions are the following: do I continue running to lose more weight? If yes do I do the gymnastics exercises in conjunction with the running? Out of those outlined in the book and maybe some that are not in the book, which exercises should I start with? How many hours per day and how many days per week should I run/exercise? Thank you all in advance!

Given that you can do 5 pullups (which is what I can do right now), I would use:

Pullups probably in ladder fashion 1-2-3-4-5 (it's what I'm using to get volume in) or perhaps sets of 4 and 3.

Dips if you can otherwise ring pushups or pseudo planche pushups (get in a pushup position, lean as far forward as you can without falling on your face and do a pushup)

Deck Squats and assisted SLS (holding a set of rings or SLS sitting on a box)

Hanging or Lying leg lifts

I would practice holding the pushup position on the rings and inversion if you are comfortable with it. Maybe some wall HS.

I wouldn't do it right before workouts but otherwise you'll more than likely be fine.

• 1 month later...

Okay, this is a great post, but I realy dont understand it at all. Its maybay I am stupid orso :D

I understand the FSB's, there is no problem here.

The only questions that I have are:

When I read a article from Coach Sommers he said to practice these hold at the end off a workout.

Is there a reaso why it is now at the beginning?

And I read a post here about constructing a workout:

Fundamental Bodyweight Exercises (FBEs)

Horizontal

Row

Push Up

Vertical

Pull Up

Dip

Multi Plane

360 Pull anyhow on rings or high bar

Legs

Deck Squat or Single Leg Squat

Natural Glute Ham Raise

Core

V Ups

Back Extensions

Hanging Leg Lifts

Flexibility

Standing pike stretch

Standing straddle stretch

Standing side stretch

Standing arch stretch

Siting pike stretch

Siting straddle stretch

Siting side stretch

Butterfly

Bridge variation

- shoulder bridge

- legs elevated bridge

- full bridge

Shoulder stand

Plow (if feet won't go to floor put them up on a chair or wall)

Programing

Do the warm up + FSPs + one FBE category paired with one Core exercise for a total of three FBEs per session.

Does this mean that if you train 3 times a week you always (every working out day) you use that routine?

I mean, do you do every time 3 sets off row, 3 sets off push-ups. And if so, do you do then 3 sets off 5 of the row and then 3 sets off 5 off the push-ups?

And when you finished with that you do the pull-up and dip (in 3 sets to?) then the Multiplane (how do you perform these, in sets orso?).

Then 2 leg exercises and then 3 core exercises?

And then the next workout you do the same workout?

And I totally dont understand this:

Do the warm up + FSPs + one FBE category paired with one Core exercise for a total of three FBEs per session

Does this mean that you have to do one core exercises after every pair off exercises? I mean when you have done the row and the push-ups and the do a core exercises, after the pull-up and dip do one core exercis etc?

Sorry, you guys are tryiing to explain so well. I feel very stupid. For me it would just much more easyer when a rouine was written down on paper. For example a routine when you have 3 days to train or 4 days to train etc.

What kind off exercises, sets, reps etc. Just a basic routine.

I think all these terms as PBE's and FSP's and then the shortcut off all these exercises makes it very hard to read, because when you try to find out withc exercises they meant I already have lost the rest off the story.

As I said, I think its beause my Englisch is not that good.

Can soembody in plane Englsich explain that when you train 3 times a week and when you are a beginner with gymnastic training how such a workout could look like?

For me its important to know if I have to do two pull exercises, 2 puhs-exercises, 2 leg exercises etc. etc. per workouts and what about the core exercises?

Sorry again. I just want to start the right way but dont know were to begin (still) :oops:

For me it would just much more easyer when a rouine was written down on paper. For example a routine when you have 3 days to train or 4 days to train etc.

What kind off exercises, sets, reps etc. Just a basic routine.

I think all these terms as PBE's and FSP's and then the shortcut off all these exercises makes it very hard to read, because when you try to find out withc exercises they meant I already have lost the rest off the story.

Hey Lokate. The WODs are all written down, with the exercises, sets, reps, etc. All you have to do is follow them. From what has been posted on the forum, it is the same workout used by both beginners and advanced athletes - the WODs are like having your very own expert creating your program for you. The only downside is that you have to take the initiative and self-discovery to ensure you are doing the work with proper form, ability and safety - this forum helps with that aspect. The Building the Gymnastic Bodies book will be beneficial in properly scaling the workouts. It's pretty easy to piece together:

Warmup: Mobility and the recommendations in this thread

Workout: viewforum.php?f=12

360 pulls are not a multiplane movement.

I wouldn't force training the plow. It's neck flexibility besides lumbar and hamstring flexibility. Start by doing it with tucked legs and go from there.

As for programming. Either follow the Daily GB WOD, do Killroy70, or program SSC for FSP+FBE (and possibly do some GB WODs).

Regardless of what you end up doing, I think you should figure out your max FSP hold times and FBE progressions.

For the record, I don't believe in a simply 60s SSC for HS. 60s of volume is maybe something I would use for a 4 or 5yo beginner, mainly because they will probably be bored with any more volume. The GB HS Wod's are much more appropriate but instead of 30s on 45 off, I would play around with hold times that are more appropriate such as 10-20s if needed. I would not recommend just jumping into the 6m of volume for a beginner on day 1 that happens during the 12 cycle GB HS WODs.

It will really vary per individual (you also have to figure out that beginners need to adapt to inversion so they don't burst the capillaries in their eyes [which isn't a very tramautic injury but I can't imagine someone wanting to do it]) as to how volume and hold times of HS they should use but when it comes to HS, volume and frequency come to play since it is way more skill oriented than the other FSP (though L work will often depend on building the quads/hip flexor to the point they don't limit L hold time).