Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Just some questions concerning handstands

Dillon Kolacz

Dillon Kolacz

I'm doing free-standing handstands and static handstands as well as wall runs. Should I have a solid free-standing handstand before I start training for a handstand press?

What is an ideal free-standing handstand time?

My free-standing handstand is inconsistent right now.

Thanks :). also... what does an arch hold and hollow body hold look like? I keep reading about these for front and back levers... (just don't want to start another topic)

You can start working negative press HS's Box Press HS's ect pretty much as soon as you have a solid wall handstand.

Ideal Free-Standing HS time? :) The is pretty much impossible to answer, you are getting pretty good when you can hold a Perfect form Freestanding HS for 20 Seconds. But in reality you can't say that you have mastered it until you have at least 60 seconds.

Oh boy, how do I explain the arch and hollow holds over the net. Okay here goes... For the Hollow body hold. Lay down with your back on the ground Lift up your legs like you are beginning a V-Up Once they get about 6 inches of the ground stop and keep them there. Simultaneously lift your upper body like in a V-Up but instead of keeping your back straight you want to slightly bend your back. Once your upper back is off the floor about 6 inches you are in the Hollow body hold. Note your lower back should be still on the ground. And that is a Hollow body hold :)

For the Arch Hold...Lie on your stomach with your hands outstretched above your head. Simultaneously lift your legs and your hands off the floor without bending either. As if you are trying to to reach the sky with both your hands and your feet. Once both your feet and your hands are about 6-12 inches of. Ta-da!!! The Arch hold. When you are in the position only your stomach should be touching the floor!

These are the basic position's that are referred too and also they are GREAT Static holds. Just hold them for 60 seconds and your back/Abs will kill you :shock:

Dillon Kolacz

Could you explain what a negative press handstand and a box press handstand is?

And how important is consistency? Sometimes I can hold a 20 sec handstand, but other times it's like 8 seconds... or worse... it all depends on the kick. Is this just practice makes perfect?

Joshua Naterman

Those are in the handstand section of the book i think, or at least box versions are for the negative press. I could be wrong about that. Nope... closest thing is the RLL. Those train the back and hip parts of press handstands. If you can't do that slowly freestanding, have your back against a wall. You may need your hands to be quite a distance away from the wall, maybe up to 18 inches, at first. I will suggest that you don't worry about that until you have built the ability to do multiple sets of 5-10 pike press HS with your head elevated to the point where you are very nearly in a handstand. The increased range of motion makes things much, much more difficult. Just start with your head on a few books and add a book per month or something like that. Slow, steady progressions will make this skill fairly easy to pick up.

At that point, as you start working on the wall, I am unable to provide further guidance. I just don't know what to do beyond that point as I am not there yet. I know what Coach says to do, but that is seminar material. It is a bit hard to do some of the press HS training without having a training partner... hand spotting is incredibly helpful!

Do you have the book? If you do a box press hand stand is the same principle as the HeSPU - box (Your legs start at an elevated position 3-4 Feet high, as you get stronger you lower the height of the box) And a Negative Press HS Is just that. A Press HS Going backwards. You start in a HS And lower as SLOWLY as possible to a standing posistion.

And consistency is pretty important. Trust me everyone has varying problems with consistency. But you can't really say "I have a 30 Second HS" If you aren't sure that 99% Of the times you do a HS You can hold it for that long. And yup practice practice practice! Just spend as much time on your hands as possible :)

• 2 weeks later...

I can do a handstand press and my handstand still sucks very inconsistant and I can't really get into one without moving around alot. So in my experience no a solid handstand is not a requirement but it doesn't hurt.

Dillon Kolacz

When I tried doing a handstand press against the wall it pinched the crap out of the back of my head. This happens every single time. Do yall recommend that I keep elevating my head on the ground without a wall?

Had the same problem when working handstand presses against a wall. I used a towel to on the back of my head to get rid of the pain.

Coach Sommer
When I tried doing a handstand press against the wall it pinched the crap out of the back of my head. This happens every single time. Do yall recommend that I keep elevating my head on the ground without a wall?

Your head should have no contact with the wall. All the pressure should be placed directly on the back of the shoulder girdle leaning into the wall.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer