Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Static holds for muscle growth?

Yeti

So this is something a buddy of mine showed me who also digs the bodyweight training, and it claims to build muscle with static holds. Now I know they are a great strength training tool and I found the article interesting and would like to see it dissected by some of the brilliant bodyweight enthusiasts here. Here is the article http://www.bodyweightcoach.com/07/bodyweight-training-muscle-mass-physique/

I think it actually has some merit. Holding a static hold for a minute and then doing push ups makes the exercise significantly more difficult to where it seems to mimick low rep training which targets muscles that have the greatest growth potential. So I was thinking this could be a useful muscle building tool if verified. Getting high volume with many sets for low reps I think would be outstanding! Let me know what you all think.

The exercises he's talking about are not all that difficult. Holding a static pushup position has no resemblance to holding a maltese on the rings or any other advanced gymnastics static hold for that matter. It's really getting ridiculous all these articles using bodyweight exercises and trying to compare to gymnastics. The stuff they talk about can be completed by 5 year olds.

That's my 2 cents.

\

The exercises he's talking about are not all that difficult. Holding a static pushup position has no resemblance to holding a maltese on the rings or any other advanced gymnastics static hold for that matter. It's really getting ridiculous all these articles using bodyweight exercises and trying to compare to gymnastics. The stuff they talk about can be completed by 5 year olds.

That's my 2 cents.

Well yeah, stuff beyond this website and the bar-barians forums are severely lacking, I'll give you that. Nothing can really compare, I was just wondering if the claim was valid my friend. With a little imagination the technique could be applied to a wider variety of more challenging exercises. Consider double clap push ups, muscle ups, or planche push ups of holding the planche for a good while then attempting to do planche push ups right after. As if planche push ups were not already challenging enough, but it doesn't take a genius to conclude that the exercise would be harder. I just was unsure whether his claim on muscle growth was valid as I know static holds work strength but wasn't sure they contributed a great deal to muscle growth.

Well the idea is on the right track but as triangle said, something like a pushup position could be completed by a five year old. However, the actual core idea is good. We just had a WOD where we would hold a planche position and then after a very short break go to planche pushups. A static and then a FBE.

\

That's my 2 cents.

Well yeah' date=' stuff beyond this website and the bar-barians forums are severely lacking, I'll give you that. Nothing can really compare, I was just wondering if the claim was valid my friend. With a little imagination the technique could be applied to a wider variety of more challenging exercises. Consider double clap push ups, muscle ups, or planche push ups of holding the planche for a good while then attempting to do planche push ups right after. As if planche push ups were not already challenging enough, but it doesn't take a genius to conclude that the exercise would be harder. I just was unsure whether his claim on muscle growth was valid as I know static holds work strength but wasn't sure they contributed a great deal to muscle growth.[/quote']

You should spend a little more time studying the GB program. You will see that static holds following by a FBE are a normal part of the WOD, as well as the programming given in the book.

All types of contractions have been shown to result in muscle hypertrophy.

Aaron Griffin
You should spend a little more time studying the GB program. You will see that static holds following by a FBE are a normal part of the WOD, as well as the programming given in the book.

I was going to say this. It's at the very end of the book under "Integrated Training". It makes the assertion that doing FSPs right before performing a relevant FBE is the best way to improve. I've been doing this myself (no, I don't follow the WODs) and have noticed pretty distinct increases in my FBE performance

I was going to say this. It's at the very end of the book under "Integrated Training". It makes the assertion that doing FSPs right before performing a relevant FBE is the best way to improve. I've been doing this myself (no, I don't follow the WODs) and have noticed pretty distinct increases in my FBE performance

Alright hey thank you guys for the information, and I guess I did miss something on the book ha ha. Like I said, I just wasn't sure it was actually a contributing factor in muscle growth. I've heard pretty negative information about static holds or isometrics in general contributing all that greatly to the actual growth of muscles, so thanks for clearing that up. I will definitely have to use this basic principle (and read the book better) in the future.