Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What prerequisites before start training for the pelican....

ashita

Let me just state that I was talking the foot supported pelican only in whatever comments I've made. Guess that's my ignorance not realizing Ashita would be going for the real deal :mrgreen:

Joshua Naterman

Oh yea, I'm not even expecting to have part 1 down in the next 12 months! To simulate the real move more effectively than standing on the ground I would recommend using a simple dolly from home depot, one of the ones that moves in all directions, as the foot support. I have found that this allows the lines of force to mimic the real thing and it makes even the foot supported version much harder!!! I can't even pull back up from 20 degrees above horizontal, my false grip isn't that strong! Even 45 is hard.

I guess I haven't even been thinking about the actual skill, but it is interesting to hear how hard you feel this is! I definitely don't disagree.

Look up golfers/pitchers/tennis/etc sport elbow stuff. Congratulations you almost certainly have tendinitis (inflammation of the tendon in question) from advancing to quickly. If you search around the joint and prehab subforum you should be able to find some threads on it. And I know from experience that there are youtube videos dealing with it.

I assume you were replying to me. Thanks for the reply, but I will have to disagree. It is definitely a muscular problem. When I say inner, I mean if you were to turn your hands up and 'bump' a volleyball. It is the entire forearm and only bothers me when working strength moves which involve the false-grip and bent arms. It's rare that I would notice it while doing any other exercises, it is really only the bent arm pelican (with legs supported) which causes this.

... 1 or 2 weeks after I started training it, I started getting a strain in my inner forearm. Is this common? I simply don't do it anymore for this reason, and I assumed that it was due to a weak forearm. What are some good exercises to fix this?

You were right to be cautious. Your initial symptoms sound indeed like you were heading toward a strained forearm; which is an annoying and rather painful injury (unfortunately I have first hand experience with this!)

Dillon's advice that the Reverse MU should be fairly well developed prior to your beginning training with Pelican variations is correct. Additionally I recommend that you allow the forearm to rest/heal for 1-2 weeks prior to beginning the RX'd Reverse MU work.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• 2 weeks later...
Alessandro Mainente
I just want to say that this exercise is much more potent than is being portrayed. I have a reverse muscle up and am still nowhere close to having this skill. You should have a reverse muscle up first. Also there really isn't much point on focusing on the skill if you don't have a solid back lever or full planche. The reason for this is that in the real skill you start in a back lever and end in a full planche! This is definitely a more advanced ring strength skill which in my opinion is harder than a cross.

To work this skill I would say start standing with the rings a little under your shoulder height. Grab the rings with elbows up like the bottom of a dip, lean forward and straighten your arms, try to pull back to standing position. You first goal should be MU to BL, so work these at the same time. Don't move your feet up onto a box until you can perform a MU to BL. Once that is done you can start work on the Reverse MU. Start in a handstand and do negatives, during this time you can start to slowly raise your feet for the pelicans. Once you can perform a reverse muscle up without feet on the straps you should be able to do pelicans with a box the same height as the rings. For the full pelican keep using the box and add negatives starting from the full planche.

Now this isn't a step by step guide for the skill but simply an idea of how this skill should be approached, which should not be taken lightly. You can see how this skill will take a long time to develop.

this skill helps a lot if you want to learn the bckword rool to support or MU to BL

This I can not suggest. If you can't do a backward roll to support you have no business thinking about this skill. That's like saying working crosses will make your shoulders strong enough to handle FL. Now if you're going to start from a stand like I explained above you can work those at the same time as your rolls.

I suggest you don't think about the full pelican too much. Work on the MU to BL. If you get that celebrate. Making smaller goals will be easier to manage and make you much happier. Just my two cents.

Dillon

Dillon....what is a great progression for MU to BL? can it helps with backward roll to support?

A great progression would be the standing pelican exercise that I suggested. Pike at the hips as much as needed to pull back up. It may help with backward roll, but the roll does not have a curl. It is more about keeping the rings at the same position as you roll around them.

Dillon

Alessandro Mainente

i notice that form me...go down from standing to BL and return is more simple if i have the false grip during the movement, but i can't hold the false grip in the back lever...is a problem of srength???...or because i don't use a regular rings!!!???

It's just a matter of strength. Keeping a false grip is difficult at first, but eventually you will not notice it. Work on trying to keep the false grip through the movement. You can also try to work on simply hanging from the rings in a false grip to build up the strength.

Dillon

Alessandro Mainente

it seems that can be a problem of the flexibility of my shoulders, when i'm using the false grip i can't take the arms at the same distance as in BL and i feel more stress on bicep tendons with false grip...is normal? when i can do MU to BL from standing and return, how i can progress?

the backward roll to support is a skill that sometime i perform, but i can't do it everytime, there is something that can help me to understand the movement or help me to do?there no progression for back roll to support?