Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

front lever much harder than back lever

twan

I'already got the back lever down for a few seconds. The front lever however seems nowhere in sight. Is the front lever that much harder? Or does my height (again) play a major role in this (6'3 = 193cm)? The back lever took me about a month to get down. Would the front lever take that much longer???

thx in advance

Depends, but usually is back lever easier. In my younger years, front lever was the easiest. Now it doesn't matter.

Beacuse front lever is not dependetly on back lever, you can't tell when you'll do it.

technique does count here:

1. turn rings

2. squeeze your abs (legs to)and push the rings down as hard as you can (try to feel pectoralis)!!! with that you'll make extra force.

you are at quite an extra leverage disadvantage due to you height but that doesnt mean its impossible. continue to work coachs progressions and you should see quick improvements.

i also find back lever much easier than front. my best full back lever is 4 seconds but im still working on the front lever

Yes, a back lever is typically much easier than a front lever.

In the USA men's junior program, it is trained and expected far earlier in the lower levels. Front lever used to be expected a bit later, but it's been taken out. It is not even really in the routines anymore except that at the beginning of the routines it requires the ability to go from a dead hang to an inverted hang ( which is something of a front lever progression ).

When I first started gymnastics, one of the routines required a pullup, bouncing through front lever or bonus for 2s.

A front lever isn't worth much in gymnastics in international meets or even JO meets I think.

Still for this example. I have had boys who can do a back lever while they struggled with a tuck front lever. Training load for either skill was about the same.

A front lever isn't worth much in gymnastics in international meets or even JO meets I think.

With back lever you can getA, B or C value 8)

Nic Scheelings

In my personal experience i found a back lever fairly easy to obtain where it only took me a few attempts to achieve, but i've been working on a front lever for about 2-3 months and have only got a one legged one.

Do not get discouraged i would say its fairly normal to experience this, just keep working hard.

Vertical pull up with bent arms to hanging scale rearways (2s.) B

Vertical pull up with straight arms to hanging scale rearways (2s.) C

Fr. cross or L-cr., turn fwd. to back lever (2s.) B

From hdst., lower horiz. to back lever (2s.) B

I think that is all.

• 1 month later...

The biggest trouble I have had in levers is trying to figure out if my body is level. I don't usually have access to a spotter or anything, does anyone have any tricks on keeping level?

Thanks,

Matt

i film myself perfroming the levers to make sure im level. with experience you will know when you are level

David Picó García

Yes, the best thing you can do is film yourself, then you'll realize when you are in level and your form and time spent on hold. Usually i found the correct level is always a bit lower (and of course more difficult) that when i think its ok. Also you can see the form specially on full front lever because is easy to pike a little so the butt is lower than shoulder and yout feet are higher and still think you are horizontal. And for the real time holding, when performing those holds it seems the time stops and that i holded several seconds and when you see the video you realize you spent just a fraction of a second frozen at the position :oops:

Lower the rings or just put some mats or pits below your body to make a straight line...

What I use to do was just wait until you feel the most tension and just try to stick at that position, may seem a little weird but it worked for me. Another way is if you have a small mirror, it works great.