Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

An obvious oblique exercise

Neal Winkler

Here's a really good BW oblique exercise that seems like it should be in the book. I wonder why Coach Sommer does not use this exercise or at least did not put it in the book.

ASzXr_3Eh6c

Where would you put it in the progressions?

Later today I'm going to try a version where the legs and torso are hanging off the edge. I'll report back and let you know how it goes.

I think the flag is better because you have to tense your whole body to keep it up. That seems more like an isolation exercise.

Even if you got to the point of doing these with weights, I don't think you would have the needed strength in the shoulder girdle to do a side lever. This exercise also wouldn't help you attain that needed strength.

Even if you got to the point of doing these with weights, I don't think you would have the needed strength in the shoulder girdle to do a side lever. This exercise also wouldn't help you attain that needed strength.

Obviously. Since hardly any of the oblique variations in BtGB develop shoulder strength, that isn't really a problem for the exercise.

Yeah, the shoulder strength for side levers will come from all the lever/planche and HS work. I do these with 10-20kg plates so I do believe it falls quite early in the oblique category.

Well, many gymnasts will work side crunches or side hollow holds or lifts. It might work to do these under a low balance beams or with a spotter or maybe a set of stall bars.

Then again, at home, many won't have access to these. Not a bread and butter technique.

There is something in the GB warmup for obliques.