Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Routine Advice

Bryce Warren

Just reading a bit on the btgb and thought I'd try and throw together something I stick to. I have no idea if I read anything right on building a routine, I'm basically asleep so any advice, or rearranging is welcomed. I like creating routines I can stick to for a while so I don't have to worry about what I'm doing. I'm trying to keep a tempo in my training right now, see how it works, along with integrated training. My basic goals right now are : HeS Press, Flat Tuck FL, Flat Tuck BL, Strict MU, and Floor L-Sit (flexibility part kills me). Warm-up will consist of joint rotations and Ido's shoulder / scapula routines.

Monday: (4 Rounds)

Tuck BL (15s) - Tempo OAC x 3 (3s,2s,2s)

Tuck FL (15s) - Tempo HLL x 4 (3s,3s,1s)

L-Sit PB (15s) - Tempo MU Negatives x 2 (10s)

Full ROM Pull-Ups - 2 x 5

Wall Extensions - 2 x 10

Wrist Push-Ups - 2 x 10

Tuesday: (4 Rounds)

Shuttle Run - 60s (Done on each round of FL - Weighted Killers & BL - Tempo GHR only)

FL (15s) - Weighted Killers x 12 (15 LBS)

BL (15s) - Tempo GHR x 5 (3s,3s)

L-Sit (15s) - Tempo Reverse Hypers x 4 (17.5 LBS) (2s,4s,1s)

Full ROM Dips - 2 x 5

Straddle L Work - 60s

Weighted Pike Stretch - 2 x 30s

Thursday: (4 Rounds)

BL (15s) - Towel Pull-Ups x 12

FL (15s) - Tempo Tuck Side Levers x 6 (3s)

L-Sit (15s) - Swinging Dips x 12

Bridge Wall Walks - x 10

Friday: (4 Rounds)

BL (15s) - 1/2 FL Pulls x 5

FL (15s) - Tempo Elevated HeSPU +1 Inch x 5 (3s,2s,1s)

L-Sit (15s) - Pike HeS Presses x 5

HS Wall Runs - 5 Mins

Full ROM Dips - 2 x 5

Wrist Push-Ups - 2 x 10

Straddle L Work - 60s

What are you already able to accomplish? How's your german hangs? How proficient are your pullups?

I think you have too much pulling compared to pressing. There's some stuff I would adjust.

Ask yourself this: For upper body, do I have a balance of horizontal push/pull, vertical push/pull?

Yea I figured there would be some things to adjust, just choosing the best exercises has always been the most difficult part for me. For FL I'm at about 35s max, BL is around the same, MU I can only do kipping, I'm doing box HeS presses, and I haven't done german hangs for a while. I ordered in some rings and they should be here within a week, was waiting on those to continue things like that, just feels better on the wrists than the huge bar I use at my gym.

I've got very few exercises going in this so I'm not sure what I could do, I wanted to get PPPU somewhere in there, should I just add 1 press for 2 of the days and keep it as a single exercise without pairing? I was thinking of changing Friday to:

HS Wall Run 60s

BL - FL Pulls

FL - Elevated HeSPU

L-Sit - Box HeS Presses

Then maybe adding in PPPU on Monday at the bottom of the routine. Sound better or worse?

What are you already able to accomplish? How's your german hangs? How proficient are your pullups?

I think you have too much pulling compared to pressing. There's some stuff I would adjust.

Ask yourself this: For upper body, do I have a balance of horizontal push/pull, vertical push/pull?

Balance in movements is not necessarily a good thing if you are already out of balance. For example, if your pulling is too weak compared to your pushing then you wouldn't necessarily want to have a balance in the movements, you would want MORE pulling than pushing so it can catch up.

Are you doing them as giant sets? Say do your BL then the FBE after it?

Or are you doing all your static work as BL,FL,L-sit and then doing the FBE's as a circuit or doing them as seperate sets and reps.

Giant sets. Is it better to do 4 rounds of one giant set first, then move to the next? Or alternating between the sets until 4 rounds are complete? Right now I'm just doing 4 rounds of one set first, then moving down the list.

Just so no one skips this comment, seems to happen a lot lol, is this a better idea for my Friday routine or should I just keep it all the same?

HS Wall Run 60s

BL - FL Pulls

FL - Elevated HeSPU

L-Sit - Box HeS Presses

Compared to what I have originally on Friday.

As well as switching body levers(or)(negative)side levers with my windshield wipers. Seeing as my goal is to be able to be able to hold a flat tuck side lever.

I like to be able to do things on my own, in case I don't always have the luxury of being able to look on the internet. So I make up my routines and get advice on it so I know what I do wrong, or just tips in general on making specific routines to suit what my goals are.

I would do the HS Wall Runs at the end of the other stuff. Good for conditioning.

Giant Sets are meant to be done as FSP+FBE, repeat as prescribed; well when they are prescribed that way.

You'll have much better performance in the giant sets when you finish them one at a time instead of trying to say finish all 3 types of giant sets and repeating. I know this for a fact as I did them this way for awhile. Efficient on time but not as effective for performance of the exercises.

Well I guessed right on that one then so it's good to know I've been doing them in the right order lol. Also for the HS wall runs, I completely forgot I was pairing exercises for some reason xD Guess I'm thinking a little too fast, I was thinking about doing the exercises in order for a set instead of finishing one set of exercises first. So yea I'll shove those to the bottom of the list for that day. I saw coach put in 10 minutes of HS wall runs for a WOD before, would that be good to place in there instead of doing a few sets of 60s?

Eddie Stelling

So I was planning on implementing these on Tuesdays and Thursdays, but for instance, today the WOD is a HS WOD. Should I always move the HS wall runs to a day we aren't doing the HS WOD or stick to the plan and do them after todays workout anyways?

Eddie Stelling

Oops wrong topic! My bad! I was talking about the HS Wall runs. I will move this to that thread.

Well I figured I'd put up the new one instead of having it spread throughout the thread. I'm going to be using the Steady State Cycle, doing this for around 12 weeks. My max for everything is as follows, tuck bl 30s, tuck fl 30s, l-sit pb 25s, kipping mu, tuck negative side lever. Just to give an idea on where I'm at, I've recently done most of these, and they are set as pretty challenging for me. If there's something that's needing to be changed, please let me know. (I only put the seconds for the static holds for the first day, the rest are the same though obviously)

Monday: (4 Rounds)

Tuck BL (15s) - Tempo OAC x 3 (3s,2s,2s)

Tuck FL (15s) - Tempo HLL x 4 (3s,3s,1s)

L-Sit PB (15s) - Tempo MU Negatives x 3 (5s)

Full Range Pull-Ups - 2 x 5

Wall Extensions - 2 x 10

Wrist Push-Ups - 2 x 10

Tuesday: (4 Rounds)

Shuttle Run - 60s

FL - Weighted Killers x 12 (20 LBS)

BL - Tempo GHR x 5 (3s,3s)

L-Sit - Tempo Reverse Hypers x 5 (17.5 LBS) (3s,1s,3s)

Full ROM Dips - 2 x 5

Straddle L Work - 60s

Thursday: (4 Rounds)

BL - Towel Pull-Ups x 12

FL - Tempo Tuck Side Levers x 6 (3s)

L-Sit - Swinging Dips x 12

Bridge Wall Walks - x 10

Friday: (4 Rounds)

BL - 1/2 FL Pulls x 5

FL - Tempo Elevated HeSPU x 5 (3s,2s,1s)

L-Sit - Pike Box HeS Presses x 5

HS Wall Runs - 10 Mins

Full ROM Dips - 2 x 5

Wrist Push-Ups - 2 x 10

Straddle L Work - 60s

EDIT: Just threw in a couple sets of full ROM dips and pull-ups to work on my ROM.