Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What template use to keep work his strength for a mass gain.

ashita

Hey , i wonder what is good to do as template to keep working his strength while we want an additional gain of mass.

I dont want to do endurance style , high rep , but still keep working my strength mainly.

I do strength training since 3 weeks now , and i also notice a lost of chest size ^^

In the BTGB ,it say

" template of 10x3 work sets done every two minutes or

a pyramid structure of 12,10,8,6 reps with increasing training loads as the repetitions decrease "

Does it mean for the 10*3 , i can do 3 planche push up every 2 min for 10 set ? or it is 10 planche push up for 3 set ?

And about the pyramid we dont know how much time we have to rest between each set , at least that all the 4 set 12-10-8-6 are done in a row.?

Like 12 bulgarian dips - 10 Wall planche push up - 8 FREE HSPU - 6 Pl push up ? all this done without any rest ?

And for how many set ? and how much rest between each pyramid ?

Thanks in advance

It means 3 reps every 2 min for 10 set. The 12 10 8 6 thing sounds like metins sup

ersets if done continuously.

I would increase the volume with your strength work if you want to gain mass but still get stronger. And then modify your diet accordingly of course.

Keep your 3-5 rep for strength increases and add in some supplementary work in the 10-15 rep range.

Use some easier progressions to get more warmup volume.

Keep your 3-5 rep for strength increases and add in some supplementary work in the 10-15 rep range.

Use some easier progressions to get more warmup volume.

I like that idea too.

Sort of an idea from Wendler's 531. Not exactly. While 531 has the 3 worksets, it also adds some volume due to the warmup sets plus the last minimum/blast away set. Assistance exercises for hypertrophy are done around 10reps minimum in that program.

@ stevenL : ok about metin ,i see.

Ok blairbob so you mean i do some set of 10-15 reps after the warm up with the static hold progression before the real training where there i do my 3-5 reps exercice.

Right ?

Ok i will add some set of 10 planche push up and 10-15 free hspu.

But how many set , 3 set can be enough ?

thanks

@ stevenL : ok about metin ,i see.

Ok blairbob so you mean i do some set of 10-15 reps after the warm up with the static hold progression before the real training where there i do my 3-5 reps exercice.

Right ?

Ok i will add some set of 10 planche push up and 10-15 free hspu.

But how many set , 3 set can be enough ?

thanks

I think he meant you do an exercise for 10-15 reps after your 3-5 rep training.

Doing 1 set of ~10 reps of an easier version of each exercise after the 'strength' sets can be an option too. Has been proven to stimulate more GH and add more mass and strength. I'd still say increasing volume with your strength sets would be the ideal but obviously if that's not the 'good' answer expected then go the other way, it will work too. Do keep in mind mass comes from diet though :)

Thanks razz , yeah i know the mass come from mainly the diet , i have already a good body ,so my diet works well.

You mean directly after the set of 3-5 reps i do the set of 10 reps on a easier exercice ? or i have to rest a bit ?

For now i added some set after the static hold after the warm up.

If it doesnt work ,i will try what you said.

Thanks , train hard !

Joshua Naterman

These are all good suggestions.

I would suggest doing just enough strength work to maintain your abilities and to focus primarily on mass gains by following Poliquin's intermediate GVT program. 10 sets of 6 reps with your 12 rep max. That's going to be tough, go for slow negatives (4s or so) and an explosive concentric. 60-90s of rest is very important to not exceed. After six weeks I would switch back to your strength program completely. You can alternate this as many times as you want. That's just one more method, all of these are good.

Any of these should work. Eating more of the good stuff that you already eat will be the key. Figure on an extra 50 calories for each lb of muscle you want to gain. Make 5 lb jumps at a time, more than that makes it easier to get fat.

What Razz is saying is correct. From the current research that I have found on PubMed it seems that the less you rest between sets the higher lactate levels go, and this directly affects growth hormone production. We are talking about increases of 300-400%. That, my friend, will cause serious results. Keep in mind that growth hormone almost exclusively works on connective tissue. It does not cause significant performance increase on its own, it just keeps you from getting injured and works synergistically with the other growth processes. That is super important, especially here.

The most important question nobody remembered to ask: "What has your training been like recently?"

If this was addressed it would be much easier to tell you what you could do to possibly increase hypertrophy.

Thanks slizz and razz !

The last 6 months i did strength/endurance with a lot of pyramid , giant set like

max free hspu on p.bars - max free hpsu on ground - max wall planche push up - max tuck planche push up - max dips

45 sec rest between each set , i did a lot of that kind of work , i created my won giant set all the time , with different exercice....

weighted work with medium load and high rep.......

pyramid like 2-4-6-8-10-8-6-4-2 , a lot of different work really but always high rep.

works pretty good for gain mass , but i didnt gain so much strength.so this is why i started pure strength training since 3 weeks now ,i do my fourth week of my routine now.

I planned to do 2 weeks of strength/endurance again after my cycle of strength , to keep increasing my endurance skill on my main exercice ( HSPU ,planche push up ,90° push up...)and keep gaining some mass or at least maintain it , and then again a strength cycle and so forth...

But if i can do both at the same time it is better but what i already tried did not work really.

thanks in advance

Joshua Naterman
The most important question nobody remembered to ask: "What has your training been like recently?"

If this was addressed it would be much easier to tell you what you could do to possibly increase hypertrophy.

Wow. A great point!

If you want to keep getting bigger, you're going to want to do whatever is the least similar to what you are doing now. Sometimes that means putting GB work on maintenance mode (NOT abandoning it, just doing minimal volume to keep strength and connective tissue adaptation from fading) and moving to external loads for 6 weeks. At the very least, you would want to set things up very differently from how you have them now, but keep in mind that your body is now VERY good at the things you are doing and has figured out how to minimize effort in all of it. You have to hit your body with something it is unfamiliar with for most of your volume if you want to get bigger!

That could be done just by switching to weighted XR dips and Reverse Muscle Up negatives all the way from HS to inverted hang, taking at least 10 seconds per negative. I would prefer doing the HS to SS separately and taking 10s for that. The rings are so different from bars that they would be a great change of pace for your muscles, especially if you haven't been using them as much as the bars.

What HAS your training been looking like the last few months?

That could be done just by switching to weighted XR dips and Reverse Muscle Up negatives all the way from HS to inverted hang, taking at least 10 seconds per negative. I would prefer doing the HS to SS separately and taking 10s for that. The rings are so different from bars that they would be a great change of pace for your muscles, especially if you haven't been using them as much as the bars.

I'm training a year or so and gained around 10kg of pure muscle and, not counting the incredible strength that I won, it without the rings, I wonder when I purchased them what will happen! :shock:

Thanks slizz , always great answer !

Like i said above my last 6 month was only strength/endurance , and a little , very little work ring.

I'm back on ring since 1 month soon, and yeah i think it gonna be usefull to gain more mass because they work differently the muscles like i not really did before.

I dont want to gain a lot of mass again , i weight about 156 lbs and i'm 5'6 ,only muscle , almost enough but i want to gain a few weight again like 7-9 lbs and hope to get a lot of strength with this additional weight.

Since 1 month soon , so since i started my new routine , only new exercice , i never did before , well i mean some are new like XR PPP plus , kind of XR koeran dips but harder variation , Roll planche push up ...

But for the other exercice i use a tempo on the exercice i already used before , like on the FL pull ,Free HSPU ,HSPU on chair and all....

I do only a WOD per week right now , and some exercice on ring in the week but i plan to do more ring after this cycle.

That could be done just by switching to weighted XR dips and Reverse Muscle Up negatives all the way from HS to inverted hang, taking at least 10 seconds per negative

Sounds hard , i def have to try it !

Since i'm back on ring , i feel my biceps a lot :)

thanks again slizz

PS : slizz you saw what are my supersaiyan requirement ^^ ,i'm training to complete my SS3 almost done , rest 2-3 thing and its done :)

So after this i will work more on ring because SS4 need iron cross , maltese and all ..... and i think i need ring now to go on the next level of strength , floor or bar is too easy now lol

hey , well i didnt know where post this video and i didnt want to create another thread just for it......so i use this thread

There 5 Full planche push up on dips bar on my power station :D

C7-t2BrMmxc