Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What template use to keep work his strength for a mass gain.

ashita

Hey i have another question.

Right now for almost all of my exercice , i do 5 set of 5 reps , but some is 5*3.

Should i do once i can do 6-7 reps ,4 sets.

Then once i can do 8 , 3 set .

Or is it better to stay with 5*3 or 5*5 and increase the difficulty anyhow.

I'm still doing my steady state cycle but i'm wondering this, if throughout the cycle i should do this ,or do not tweak anything at all.

I know the principe of a STTC is to make no change during the totality of the cycle , but there, i will not increase the difficulty but just increase the number of rep and decrease the one of set ,like i'm getting stronger throughout it.

Maybe a stupid question , but i would be more stupid without asking it........^^

Thanks in advance

SSC don't modify anything at all, not sets, not reps, not anything. I do however think the SSC was meant to be more of a starters cycle making sure people did not injure themselves on statics, but I may be wrong.

... I do however think the SSC was meant to be more of a starters cycle making sure people did not injure themselves on statics, but I may be wrong...

The SSC is not only for beginners; I have used it many times with my own advanced athletes with excellent results.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

I can see how it would be very useful for your goals to try using SSC with FSPs for pure static strength and your own program of FBEs at higher volume (5x5, GVT, whatever) for mass gain.

I'm already doing a SSC for my static , and for my whole routine , i have the same since 1 month.

I didnt tweak anything at all.

GVT

What is that ?

Thanks i'll take a look on this.

But i'm still wondering about the change of set and rep along the cycle.

I have totally understood the idea of the SSC but i try to see if there is something better i can do...

But why i'll keep doing 5*5 of planche push up if i became enough strong to do 4*6-7 , and then about 3*8...within the cycle.

I will not build more strength if i do this ?

In fact i read this about the iron cross training from steve low , and i'm wondering if it can be applied for other exercice as well,with another range of rep.

"The initial 3x5 is a good balance of intensity and volume to allow any beginner to elicit good strength gains. The progressions from 3x5 to 5x5 to 5x8 allow the body to adapt to the rigorous nature of training the cross. In particular, the increase in number of sets and repetitions help to (1) increase muscular conditioning to eliminate soreness when starting to progress to more difficult exercises or weights, (2) to acclimate the central nervous system (CNS) to the exercise which results in increased efficiency in the movement, allowing heavier weights to be used, and (3) the higher volume will serve to help to condition the elbows and shoulders for the intense strength training that follows."

Like the third point mentions , doing more volume will strenghten more my body ,to do a new cycle with harder exercice and repeat this principal again...

SSC is really good and i have huge progress , but i really want to know if it wont be better to do this , it will help to build more mass as well i think.

Well , i really need some light lol

thanks in advance

Joshua Naterman
Alright, I stand corrected :oops: Do you use the SSC with the WOD template or with different programming?

I quoted Razz because this seems to be a common point of confusion. This reply is for everyone.

SSC and WOD are not mutually exclusive, you can do the WODS in an SSC manner fairly easily. Everyone who has been to the seminars and everyone who has either read posts about this or done the WODs for a few months straight knows that the WODs follow a specific cycle of workouts that repeats every 30 days. If this is your first time hearing that information, you now know as well! Within that 30 days you will notice that we perform 3 handstand workouts, for example, and these are staggered through the 30 days. The same is true of dynamic legs, max legs, max upper body strength, upper body strength-endurance and so on. There are several minicycles within each month's WOD cycle and they do repeat. They are not always the same recommended exercises, but they are always the same movement family. One month may have XR PPP and the next may have XR PPP Plus or something, but they are both horizontal presses! Dips, Russian dips, XR dips, etc are all vertical presses. FL pulls, front pulls, Tops pulls, and many more are all multi plane pulls. All you would do is perform each WOD the same way as the last of the same type. For example, on dynamic pull days if I were trying to do a SSC I would perform the same number of clapping pull ups using the same progression for two months, followed by the same number of FL pulls or front pulls (depending on what is called for, and remember you can ALWAYS make substitutions if the consistency of your SSC is a priority, just stay in the movement family), followed by the same number of towel pull ups. After 8 weeks, which would be two full WOD cycles, I would be noticing that I am breezing through the dynamic pull WODs. That's when it's time to push harder, determine where you are at for the next SSC, and repeat. If it is time to work on a harder variation, you will start to do so!

SSC is a concept. It is not tied exclusively to FSP, and it is a mistake to think of it that way. SSC simply means that you perform the same workout in the same way. In the WOD matrix, it means you would do the exact same thing for ring strength each ring strength workout. You would do the same thing for the different strength-endurance (tempo days) WODs and every other theme. Yes, it helps to know the WOD template, and that is something that those who are truly interested can learn for themselves by following the WODs for a month and keeping a training log. While we can not just freely give out seminar information, if anyone is interested enough to teach themselves what is happening then the information is right here in the WOD forum. if you want to be given the template directly then make it out to the Seminar!

I hope that doesn't sound rude, but that really is the surest way to get what you want. None of us have any idea when the next books will be out, including Coach. You all are not the only ones that are impatient about that, I am too and in a way so is Coach! He wants us all to have the access to the information, but making everything organized is very time consuming and Coach has a national level team to take care of as well as his own family. All of that is very difficult to balance and there is no way to predict the amount of time each day or each week that Coach will be able to put towards developing the next volumes for us. Because of all that there is no way for any of us to really know when this stuff will be available in print, so the priority must be to get to the Seminars instead! That's the only place I know for sure we can put a date on and say "This information will be available TODAY!" :P

I hope that what I have written here is helpful. I definitely see where the confusion comes from and I hope I was able to clarify some of the more confusing parts.

Joshua Naterman

Nothing wrong with that at all. I have been doing the same. So do Coach's athletes!

In short, the SSC can be used for anything, not just the FSP! You don't HAVE to use it, but it is highly recommended by THE MAN (that's Coach) that you use the SSC for your FSP. If you want to apply the same concept to the WODs that is ok too.

In general, the SSC is going to be one of your best options for any exercise where difficulty is increased by altering the leverage.

• 4 months later...
Alright, I stand corrected :oops: Do you use the SSC with the WOD template or with different programming?

I quoted Razz because this seems to be a common point of confusion. This reply is for everyone.

SSC and WOD are not mutually exclusive, you can do the WODS in an SSC manner fairly easily. Everyone who has been to the seminars and everyone who has either read posts about this or done the WODs for a few months straight knows that the WODs follow a specific cycle of workouts that repeats every 30 days. If this is your first time hearing that information, you now know as well! Within that 30 days you will notice that we perform 3 handstand workouts, for example, and these are staggered through the 30 days. The same is true of dynamic legs, max legs, max upper body strength, upper body strength-endurance and so on. There are several minicycles within each month's WOD cycle and they do repeat. They are not always the same recommended exercises, but they are always the same movement family. One month may have XR PPP and the next may have XR PPP Plus or something, but they are both horizontal presses! Dips, Russian dips, XR dips, etc are all vertical presses. FL pulls, front pulls, Tops pulls, and many more are all multi plane pulls. All you would do is perform each WOD the same way as the last of the same type. For example, on dynamic pull days if I were trying to do a SSC I would perform the same number of clapping pull ups using the same progression for two months, followed by the same number of FL pulls or front pulls (depending on what is called for, and remember you can ALWAYS make substitutions if the consistency of your SSC is a priority, just stay in the movement family), followed by the same number of towel pull ups. After 8 weeks, which would be two full WOD cycles, I would be noticing that I am breezing through the dynamic pull WODs. That's when it's time to push harder, determine where you are at for the next SSC, and repeat. If it is time to work on a harder variation, you will start to do so!

SSC is a concept. It is not tied exclusively to FSP, and it is a mistake to think of it that way. SSC simply means that you perform the same workout in the same way. In the WOD matrix, it means you would do the exact same thing for ring strength each ring strength workout. You would do the same thing for the different strength-endurance (tempo days) WODs and every other theme. Yes, it helps to know the WOD template, and that is something that those who are truly interested can learn for themselves by following the WODs for a month and keeping a training log. While we can not just freely give out seminar information, if anyone is interested enough to teach themselves what is happening then the information is right here in the WOD forum. if you want to be given the template directly then make it out to the Seminar!

I hope that doesn't sound rude, but that really is the surest way to get what you want. None of us have any idea when the next books will be out, including Coach. You all are not the only ones that are impatient about that, I am too and in a way so is Coach! He wants us all to have the access to the information, but making everything organized is very time consuming and Coach has a national level team to take care of as well as his own family. All of that is very difficult to balance and there is no way to predict the amount of time each day or each week that Coach will be able to put towards developing the next volumes for us. Because of all that there is no way for any of us to really know when this stuff will be available in print, so the priority must be to get to the Seminars instead! That's the only place I know for sure we can put a date on and say "This information will be available TODAY!" :P

I hope that what I have written here is helpful. I definitely see where the confusion comes from and I hope I was able to clarify some of the more confusing parts.

************Brrings up an interesting concept. I like to listen to music on my way out the door on the weekend and i notice that if i stay away from a song for several months it yields emotional exicitement again afterwards. If i recall correctly Poliquin said that Oly lifting coach Rudolph Plukfelder changed the workouts EVERY day for Aleexev.

Brandon green