Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Explosive jump training for tumbling/acro - ideas please

Finn Frank

Right, now I've just joined a local gym and I'm looking to build my jumping power. I've never properly used weights and my bodyweight leg work hasn't been all that good. So, I'm looking for any ideas and advice on what kind of work I can do to improve my jumping. I'll be training in the gym once or twice a week, the rest will be WODs and BW stuff like normal :).

In the gym I have access to the following which may be useful:

-Barbells

-Dumbbells

-Squat rack

-Kettle Bells (up to 15kg/33lb)

I imagine I'll be needing to build a fair bit of strength before I start working explosively but I'm not sure what the best idea is. I'm willing to try anything really so hit me :)

If there is anything I've left out please do say

Thanks

yuri marmerstein

First off, tumbling is a set of skills and requires precise technique. No amount of strength work will improve your technique.

Many of the best tumblers have pretty average vertical jumps.

If your goal is to be better at tumbling/acro then do just that. Remember, tumbling in itself is plyometric in nature.

With that being said, I find kettlebell swings to be very beneficial. They are easy to learn and implement but don't stress your body like squats and deadlifts. THey are great for building fast, powerful hip extension

Thank you Yuri, I'll have to try them. Would you recommend doing them for time or reps? I've never really tried using KB before.

And also I know my technique definitely needs improvement. I'm currently trying to work on my back tucks (from standing) and my running tuck fronts. I find for my back somersaults I just cant generate the force to get as much height as I'd like.

Thank you very much for your comments :)

Here is a clip from the end of last Summer. My technique is most likely an issue so please feel free to comment on it.

I feel my legs are very slow both from standing and from a rebound. I'm fairly heavy for tumbling maybe, 6'1" and 182, not sure if that is particularly relevant. I most certainly don't want to be making excuses.

alehW0-YZMI

yuri marmerstein

That's not bad. 3 things you could do to make it better

1. swing your arms harder and faster. as you go up you should feel a stretch in your shoulders

2. Don't look back right away. your head should be facing forward until the moment that you complete your tuck

3. tuck harder and tighter. knees to shoulders.

(4) if you fix the above 3 this shouldn't be an issue, try not to lean back at all in your jump. when I do it I think of jumping straight up and having my arms pull me slightly back

When I teach saltos at first, I prefer knees to chest. As tight of compression as possible.

If you had 2 days a week in the gym, I'd work the DL and KB swings. Establish the ability to KB swing with good form for time and reps. You don't need to be going as fast as possible or intense. Eventually, you can ramp up your speed or start working KB snatches.

You could alternate back and front squats or just do weighted SLS or weighted bulgarian split/lunge squats. I do think working on a glute ham machine or floor glute ham or weighted hip thrusts and DL would be beneficial.

Thanks Yuri, I'll work on those points. In your opinion should I be working on my vertical for this? And if so how do you think I should?

Blairbob, Thanks for your reply. Which of these exercises should I preform in 1 session? and if I can only make it to the gym once a week which would you recommend.

Thank you both very much for your help. Its great to have such a fantastic forum, I find it very motivating :)

Your vertical isn't really the problem. Not opening your hips and the lack of a compressed tuck is.

If you could only make it to the gym 1/week, I'd recommend deadlifts or perhaps working a jump shrug from the knee position of an olympic lift. Stand while holding bar in your hands, lower to knee; explode up shrugging shoulders. You could work trap bar deadlifts instead of bar deadlifts if you want them to be a little more quad centric.

You can get a KB or DB and work swings and do them at home. Of course you could deadlift at home but it might not be as easy to do because of schedule, price, and cost.

You know in my experience strength almost makes you a worst tumbler at first. When I first learned a handsprings and tucks I was able to pull them off with atrocious technique because I trained my legs and vertical jump. But it took me a long time to polish them were they were respectable technique wise. Technique is supreme in tumbling. Direct legwork is a distant supplementary exercise. Having said that, some jumping, rebounding and power work like box jumps, depth jumps, KB work, barbell olympic lifts and so on, could add that little bit snap.

I came into tumbling from a lifting background. My form wasn't poor because I already had some strength.

You just have to choose whether it's acceptable to use the huck and chuck mentality. I was not due to the fact I decided to teach myself how to backhandspring after a poor spotter caused a neck injury to myself in my tumbling class. After that I decided that BHS and back tumbling was not going to be an interest or focus during that class or later on. A few years later, having been trained how to teach a back handspring to some degree I was able to come up with a few ways to learn to do it safely with proper technique but I was taught from an early age to be judicious about learning from proper technique.