Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

how can i build up my HS endurance?

Tom Hiltbrunn

Tom Hiltbrunn

I have been working handstands religiously every workout and it seems that i am not progresing in my hold times. i am doing holds of 30 sec usually. What i am wondering is what everyone recommends to help build up the endurance in a handstand. What kind of programming do you use?

Joshua Naterman

You have to move through fatigue cycles. Read up on some Dual Factor training theory, just search for that on google. It will explain what I mean by fatigue cycles. Basically, you'll do a few weeks of progressively higher volume and then you will back way off on the volume temporarily. This will allow your body to adapt and get stronger while still being exposed to the same intensity.

For example, you may be doing 4-5 sets of 30s. You might do that for 2-5 weeks, depending on how you feel, and then back off and only do 1-2 sets for 1-3 weeks, or even 1 set for a week, then 2 sets for a week or two, then jump back into 4-5 sets for another few weeks.

For more in-depth explanation, do the google search and read the articles!

Joshua Naterman

The steady state cycle is an alternative way of doing the same thing, but you have to be well within your maximal exertion to use it effectively. That's why you should really have a minimum of a 20s max hold on anything you intend to SSC, and then do sets of 1/2 max hold time.

You can be somewhat less precise with fatigue cycles, but straight arm work like planche and back lever are best left to the SSC. SSC also requires quite a bit less thinking.

Tom Hiltbrunn

wait so are you saying that SSC would be an effective method for handtsands because that is what i started doing. Correct me if i am wrong but i assumed that i since am not necessarily worrying about tendon strength i could progress faster in handstands. also i have a question on form. I have read through posts and they say that you should keep your body tight. so flexing your core, glutes, and reaching upward with your toes,(and pressing through the shoulders of course) But when i look at pics of people like Ido, it looks like his back is aligned correctly but his butt is sticking out a bit almost like he is arching his back just a little. some clarity on this would be greatly appreciated! :)

I've just done them as they appear in the WODs.

Do your handstand skill work as often as you want, and follow the WODs otherwise. If you are more ambitious you could throw in some extra HS work a couple times a week. Reps of wall HS for time, stomach to the wall, walks and runs are all good ways to build endurance.

If your a total un-natural like me, it can take some time to build up to getting comfortable with being on your hands for time.