Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The close to impossible : crazy move

ashita

Joshua Slocum

Anything is possible within the realm of imagination.

Imagine a color that you've never seen before. 

• Upvote 2

Joseph Blazuk

First, if you can imagine something, it is by default, possible.  

Second... that photo of Jaspar is not a photo, it is a real time video stream.  He can actually do the close to impossible without any hands.  Fact.

[You can easily do the CTI in a 747 climbing/descending.  This is clearly within the realm of "real physics" and I'm sure, calculable].

OK back to H1

Joshua Slocum

First, if you can imagine something, it is by default, possible.  

I can imagine having a velocity faster than the speed of light. This doesn't mean it's possible. It just means that my imagination's constraints are more relaxed than reality's. 

• Upvote 1

Joseph Blazuk

I think Superman already figured this out.

You could hook a left at a wormhole going the speed of light and get to the same place faster than someone traveling there at the speed of light on a direct course.  In some ways... you're going faster than the speed of light.  

And... totally irrelevant to gymnastics!

• Upvote 1

Joshua Slocum

I think Superman already figured this out.

You could hook a left at a wormhole going the speed of light and get to the same place faster than someone traveling there at the speed of light on a direct course.  In some ways... you're going faster than the speed of light.  

And... totally irrelevant to gymnastics!

That's not the same as having a velocity in excess of the speed of light. 

In any case, the point is that reality doesn't care about what you can imagine, and it doesn't care how positive you think; reality simply is. The fact that you have imagined something is a very poor indicator that it is possible. 

Joseph Blazuk

But a very good indicator that if it is possible, you will achieve it more easily than someone thinking otherwise.

Reality does care how positive you think.  I could stab you with a needle and it would hurt.  If you paid me money and thought you were getting acupuncture, it might actually feel good.  The 'reality' is the same, your perception is different, and your perception is in fact your reality.  There's a good reason why upper level athletes pay a lot of money to see sport psychologists.  

• Upvote 1

Guest SuperBru

You've got two choices in life. Become a dreamer or become a believer. To anyone who says I wish, your a dreamer. To anyone who says I will, your a believer. This is what separates winners from losers. Make your choice and don't be ignorant about it. All those people saying "ahh I want to become invincible" stop being ignorant. A CTI is more than possible. To those of you who think otherwise it's your choice.  

• Upvote 1

What I want to know is how difficult are these assisted CTI holds (feet leaning on something) because I seen people do these with whole body recorded to not hide the fact that it's assisted and most make tense facial expressions when doing them or they could be faking the expressions?

A few years ago I posted here about a calculation I did for the torque generated when holding CTI, and it came to be comparable to the torque generated by a BMW 3-series engine. 

Eric Heiden

A few years ago I posted here about a calculation I did for the torque generated when holding CTI, and it came to be comparable to the torque generated by a BMW 3-series engine. 

This is the post you're talking about.  And that's with a 146 pound guy!  I'm 178 - I'd need to generate 356 ft. lbs!  Them's some strong fingers/wrists!

Joshua Slocum

Torque can be a very misleading figure if compared in that manner. Power output is equal to Torque times angular velocity. In the case of strength holds or presses, the moment is applied about a static, or very slowly moving joint, which means the power output is comparatively low. Whereas in the BMW, the torque is being applied to a shaft spinning at 2K+ RPM. 

Also note that figure is not unreasonable for other parts of the body. It is, for example, the same torque (to a first order approximation) that the shoulders experience when performing an iron cross. What makes the CTI unreasonable is the size of the muscle groups taking the torque, and the degree to which their leverage is disadvantaged. An iron cross is performed with some of the largest upper-body muscles: the pectoralis and latissimus. In a CTI, the same load has to be supported by the wrist extensors and finger flexors.

Torque can be a very misleading figure if compared in that manner. Power output is equal to Torque times angular velocity. In the case of strength holds or presses, the moment is applied about a static, or very slowly moving joint, which means the power output is comparatively low. Whereas in the BMW, the torque is being applied to a shaft spinning at 2K+ RPM. 

Also note that figure is not unreasonable for other parts of the body. It is, for example, the same torque (to a first order approximation) that the shoulders experience when performing an iron cross. What makes the CTI unreasonable is the size of the muscle groups taking the torque, and the degree to which their leverage is disadvantaged. An iron cross is performed with some of the largest upper-body muscles: the pectoralis and latissimus. In a CTI, the same load has to be supported by the wrist extensors and finger flexors.

Absolutely, I agree with you entirely. 

Yaad Mohammad

I can imagine having a velocity faster than the speed of light. This doesn't mean it's possible. It just means that my imagination's constraints are more relaxed than reality's. 

Well it is possible, but it's not technically faster than the speed of light. We can't move faster than the speed of

light within space, but space itself can. So we can make some sort of space warper around us, unfortunately, the amount of energy required to make something like that is equal to the mass of Jupiter.

Joshua Slocum

Well it is possible, but it's not technically faster than the speed of light. We can't move faster than the speed of

light within space, but space itself can. So we can make some sort of space warper around us, unfortunately, the amount of energy required to make something like that is equal to the mass of Jupiter.

There's a reason I used the specific phrase "having a velocity faster than light". 

• 2 months later...
Teodor Ramon Dahlgren

Sorry to continue to pop your bubble, my friends. But the CTI has been, is and will continue to be impossible.

Now interestingly there are many other GST elements which are possible; the vast majority of which most of you have not yet mastered. So perhaps your time could be more productively spent addressing those. Or as I am fond of telling my own athletes ... quit yapping and get back to work. excl.png

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Hey coach summer, i have also always believed that this move is impossible! but today I stumbled upon this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1wz55XBxO4

which I think seems totally legit, ... getting CONFUSED!! 

Can this be real??

Stefan Hinote

Hey coach summer, i have also always believed that this move is impossible! but today I stumbled upon this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1wz55XBxO4

which I think seems totally legit, ... getting CONFUSED!! 

Can this be real??

This has already been discussed at ridiculous length on page four of this topic. :)

• Coach Sommer locked this topic