Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

handstand and flare position

Alessandro Mainente

Alessandro Mainente

here there are:

my handstand and my flare on the back...

i post this bcause i start training handstand about one years ago, now i can hold it for about 3 minutes without walking but i don0t know if it is correct...

the second is for who is able to perform flare or circle...i try to extend my back like in planche position...i0m also a bboy but i want the correct tecnique...and not lift up my ass

thanks for who answer

If you crop your HS picture you will probably get more feedback. It's a pain in the butt to view in the thread. Of course, you can download it and minimize it but it's just not as easy. I see a slightly flexed shoulder and I wonder if you are squeezing your butt cheeks and pulling your hips under (pelvic tilt).

Alessandro Mainente

my butt is horrible...i know i'm wearing a very dense legs warmer...the bottom part of my house is very cold...

i've practiced wall handstand and i can put my hand aboput 1 or max 2 cm from the wall...so i have to change something to do it better?

Eddie Stelling

Your hips are slightly passed your shoulders and your back is a little arched, you are having to pike at the hips bringing your legs slightly forward to compensate. This looks just like if you were not locking your hips and bending at the waste to catch your balance when you lean too far forward. That is an incorrect way to correct your balance in a handstand but that is what it looks like. Also looks like you did a pike press to HS but didn't quite flatten out your back. Make sure you point your toes and engage your quads along with your abs. Maybe you should try doing a wall HS with your back to the wall, but have your fingertips very close to the wall. Have you tried just opening your hips and straightening out?? Go from that position to a fully arched back with your legs going way forward, you will find that happy medium. Your shoulders look open just finish opening your hips, it looks solid and easy to correct. (Hard to tell with baggy clothes on.)

Question for you: I want to learn flares, did you use the bucket circle method from coach or did you do other stuff? Are there any prerequiste strength moves or positions we should have down before being able to do flares?

From a gymnastics pov, circles.

Circles, then spindles (counter-turned circle by 1/4 rotation), then straddling while doing a spindle.

Alessandro Mainente

blairbob has spoken :mrgreen::mrgreen: ..

at the beginning i used the bucket, on the hands and on the elbows. i got about 20-21 circles on the mushroom and 2-3 on the floor!!! now my mother has broken my mushroom..i can say if you are able to do straddle planche and circles on the floor the flare is more simple but you can and must follow the progression of blairbob...so perform the spindles on the bucket can help? because is the only my homemade machine where the mushroom is not required!

And blairbob, suppose that i perform circles in a clockwise direction when i have to go on the back in the flare i have to take my rigth leg in the air for as long as possible and at the same time counter turn my hips?

if i do the spindles with 1/4 counter turn...i risk not to accustom my body to counter rotate itself also when i'm doing flare?

sorry for my english

Eddie Stelling

I probably should have stated that I have never tried circles either, I think I should probably start with those! So, I start with the bucket, then to the mushroom, and then the floor.

1. Now when you say you did bucket circles on your elbows, I assume you mean that your whole forearm is on the ground, so do you lower the bucket or keep it at the same level you had it when doing them on the hands?

2. Also, do you need straddle planche or any other prerequisite strength moves for the circles?

3. One more question, I am currently doing the FSP + WODs and other crossfit training, does this get added to warm up or should i just get it in when I can as much as possible?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for your help!

Alessandro Mainente

no problem for the question...i'm waitin as you for blairbob's answer

when i'm talking about bicket on elbows...i'm talking about this thing

is more simple putting your forearms on a surface where you can grab the end of the surface with the hands, so you can put resistance when you are in the front, I experienced that without grabbing is more difficult but you build more strength...with the time i see that decreasing the height of mushroom (do the bucket ont he florr) is more difficut..

before you pass from mushroom to floor, you probably have to learn the spindles and flairs on the mushroom...

in the past before try the flair on the floor i can did 5-6 rounds of flair on mushroom but th height of my legs, on the back, wasn't much...so i found that try Front and Back Loops is very very helpful...i don0t have acces to the pommel so I used pieces of mattresses on top of each other, and i try flair and circle on the end of matresses and at the start

for the rest...to learn the correct back position i also do flair to planche and hold...so yes, solid straddle planchecan be helpful

helpful, but not exactly necessary, it's not like a lot of our young guys working flares can do straddle planche. ability to pancake straddle.

First progression of MiddleSplitHold is a good idea, with straight legs.

Alessandro Mainente

...is my problem the panchake...is possible try and stretch this position without the help of a person who press me back down?

your straddle flexibility seems decent enough

simply do middle/side splits. there are many stretch protocols out there besides passive long holds, and contract-relax besides the active hip series.

Alessandro Mainente

with contract-relax series do you mean at the PNF isometrich stretch?

Alessandro Mainente
not exactly but similar.

i used it for the splits with great results...but in dynamic movements i can't use the full rom of my flexibility..

Alessandro Mainente
Your active flexibility like mine is lacking then.

and...there is a solution for us?

Yes, working active flexibility. One simple drill is working this:

stand on one leg and raise the other leg towards horizontal or above. hold. this is another drill where a partner or a wall comes in handy or bands.

Alessandro Mainente
Yes, working active flexibility. One simple drill is working this:

stand on one leg and raise the other leg towards horizontal or above. hold. this is another drill where a partner or a wall comes in handy or bands.

thank you :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

for the flairs as for the circles is better concentrate myself to do a great number of these skill and after try to clean them or try to clear them from the beginning?