Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The hardest BW leg exercise known to man is...

Neal Winkler

... the shrimp from a deficit.

It the same as a shrimp, except you elevate your foot. Obviously, the more elevation the harder.

Give it a try.

Definitely hard was able to get a few reps with each leg. Did it off of a chair. Didn't like the stress on the knee though and how it really only feels like the quads are doing the work where as weighted pistols feel like everything is working. I might give these a place in the routine as a finisher at some point.

Try them from a start at the bottom instead of off a chair. For example, stack a few weight plates on top of each other and put your foot on top. Make sure to keep weight on your heel.

Haha, good luck doing the advanced shrimp from a deficit. Also, this ain't no sissy "finisher" exercise, this is the main course, son. :D

My only guess is that by having both your arms behind you this changes your center of gravity in such a way that it becomes harder.

Haha these are awesome. I'd say it's definitely between these and somehow building up to a one legged natural leg curl. That should end that whole "gymnast don't work their legs enough" thing.

Haha, good luck doing the advanced shrimp from a deficit. Also, this ain't no sissy "finisher" exercise, this is the main course, son. :D

Just because it's a finisher doesn't mean I think it's easy. I use the one arm chinup as a finisher doesn't mean I think the exercise is cake, I am just sadistic to myself like that :twisted: The reason I call them finishers is because they aren't a concentration in the routine.

I did these today, used three 45s and did a few reps. Still felt a bit of a strain on the knee but it was fun none the less, I think 3 might have been overkill and what caused the added knee strain so I'll be trying 2 45s next time. Did you feel extra knee strain when you elevated?

I think eventually, after I hit my goals with another quad dominant movement, I might try these out for a cycle although I still don't think these are as good as a Single leg squat because it seems they isolate the quads more.

I did these today, used three 45s and did a few reps. Still felt a bit of a strain on the knee but it was fun none the less, I think 3 might have been overkill and what caused the added knee strain so I'll be trying 2 45s next time. Did you feel extra knee strain when you elevated?

I actually don't, but other people on here have said they do. The higher variation I get to, the more it goes to the quad, but I try really hard to keep as much weight on the heel as possible. It's really easy shift weight towards the forefoot with this exercise. When I tried the deficit version for the first time this week I had to go back to the second variation with the foot pulled off the ground but hands still in front. With this variation I find it very easy to keep weight on the heel and it feels like a posterior chain movement to me. I think because of the quad dominant issue I would stay with this variation and experiment with loading. Either a weight vest or holding weights goblet style instead of moving on to the higher variations.

Watching that video it looks hard but not difficult. But actually trying it and doing it is tough. I've got a bad knee and it looks like too much pressure on my knee. Doing a shrimp from a deficit almost seems impossible.

Haha nothing is impossible, If the pressure is too much follow traingle's advice and work on shifting more weight on your heel, it does help. If you still feel pressure you can always work on single leg squats and just try shrimps from time to time. I was able to knock out a few shrimps the first time I tried because I work on the single leg squat quite a bit.