• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Razz

• Joshua Naterman

• Cole Dano

• Michael Miskelly

The "the science of gymnastics" logo is very clear, strong and symmetric; words I'd also use to describe gymnastic aspirations. Very good.

I don't think the font reflects the feeling of gymnastics. The sum of the font and the curly lines remind me of an MMA shirt. Too rough and attitudinal. Then again, the curly lines do represent the flow and motion of gymnastics.

In my opinion the font needs to change to something clear and strong, like the logo on the back, and the curly lines need work. Maybe they should not be symmetrical, as to give a sense of progress. Flowing from a to z; the process of learning and mastering.

Though the back ground is more Floral than Tribal, i have to agree the overall effect is MMA tough guy. So though i'd buy it, i wouldn't feel too legit wearing it.

I agree with the majority of commenters - keep the styling more classic. The classic roman styling of the logo should be reflected in the font as well.

If you wanted a background why not a simple stripe or split stripe starting from the edges of the logo in a half tone? That would be a real nice old school classic look.

Any way coach i'm not even sure this is your style i know you're a tough coach, but like it or not you're a nice guy.

I don't mind, I'm a BAMF! Ok jokes aside, I agree with the tribal being removed and then some simple logo on the front and keep that back as it is.

Robin Griffiths

I agree with the others. The tribal pattern is a little dated, the cross and laurels on the reverse side are very good, and something understated on the front would be much better.

I really like the idea of gymnastic bodies t-shirt though and would purchase one in a flash!!

Christian Sørlie

Have to chime in with the rest on the tribal thing.

Otherwise really liking the leaves and cross on the back.

Is it possible to get the quote: "All Muscle, No Iron" ?

That would be great. On the front together with Gymnastic Bodies, kinda to the side over one pec.

Put me down for 2 please :D

Johann Wimmer

I agree with the other members - I don't like tribals and I would also change the font on the back.

I would like something with the six FSP on the back and the simple gymnastic bodies logo on the front. HS and Iron Cross somewhere :lol:

"All Muscle, No Iron" is great.

I really lik the "All Muscle, No Iron" as well. Kind of like the CF equivalent of "Your Workout is our Warmup" jig.

I feel strongly that the less typography visible (words used), the better the response will be for the product. Typography, its placement, its font, colour, style, etc. is usually the hardest thing for a designer to incorporate.

Nicholas Sortino
Geeze....I didn't know we had so many fashion experts here.

Coach - They look great. Put me down for two.

+1

I really lik the "All Muscle, No Iron" as well. Kind of like the CF equivalent of "Your Workout is our Warmup" jig.

I feel strongly that the less typography visible (words used), the better the response will be for the product. Typography, its placement, its font, colour, style, etc. is usually the hardest thing for a designer to incorporate.

The other catchphrase I love from Coach is "Liquid Steel™." Either would be great.

Joshua Naterman

I got all excited when I read the "All Muscle, No Iron" idea! I think that should be on the back below the cross, with gymnastic bodies : the science of Gymnastic Strength Training™ on the front, with "gymnastic bodies" being something of a focus piece and "the science of Gymnastic Strength Training™" smaller and off center, as something more like decorative text that adds to the design. Having faded pictures of the maltese, handstand, manna, L sit would be pretty sweet too, it could be a beautiful shirt. Since Iron cross is the most recognizable gymnastics strength move I think that should stay on the back how it is, but with the "All muscle, no iron" underneath it, with a smaller www.gymnasticbodies.com below that. Unobtrusive, fairly simple, and to my mind very exciting to read! If I saw something like that I would want to know more about it. However, if this is the design that goes through then I want two black and one green!

I also think it would be a really, really good idea to have a shirt with the forum color scheme. I love earth tones. To me the green and black shirts are excellent, I actually think they would be ok the way they are. I am not a fan of that red shirt's color scheme. The red shirt color is ok, but I can't get into that color scheme for some reason. It may look way better on a real shirt, I don't know. That happens a lot.

Whatever comes out, I'm looking forward to this!

Michael Traynor

I have a bit of a background in graphic design and t shirt provision and think you have done a good job here but here are my thoughts.

If you are only going to release one design of T-shirt then it is always wise to avoid very strong design motifs like tribal styles, sticking to a simple logo and some wording, all the suggestions like, "all muscle, no iron", "liquid steal", "the science of gymnastic training" and all the other great wording you have in the books is all good to me. This simpler designs would appeal to the most users and although some would prefer a more in depth design, they would still buy the simple one. However with the strong design motifs running through the shirt those of us prefering the simple style would probably not buy it. Thus limiting your market.

If this t-shirt was an addition to a wider range it would be fantastic, and you will have some people on here to whom it would become their favourite shirt.

As ever there is a very varied community of athletes here from various walks of life probably some of whom would be willing to do design work for free (or perhaps for a couple of free tshirts), so you may not need to pay outside agents.

I came up with a few mock ups in response to an earlier thread and although these are all very quick designs, I would be willing to put more time into helping to produce something if you wanted any help.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4839

I disagree with all the pictures and stuff for the reason that: I'm buying the shirt because I want to wear it, not to be a walking commercial pole. Obviously I like to promote the forum, but I find the nice middle way being a simple shirt with a max of 1 drawing and 1-2 lines of text.

Joshua Naterman

I definitely don't think the picture shirt should be the ONLY thing, so if there will only be one design at first then that shouldn't be it. I like the simpler shirts too most of the time, but sometimes I want to wear something flashy that catches the eye!

Joshua Naterman

I agree with breaks 100% on what he said. I'm no help in the graphics design department, however. :lol:

Breaks, I am sure you will be hearing from Coach if he is looking for more designs! I personally like a lot of elements in what you put up in the other thread. I think that could be a good collaboration.

You're right Jeff, no offense meant Coach, my apologies!

Damn internet forums, must learn to shut mouth.

Jeff coached asked for opinions and everyone has given their opinion. Noone is trying to make fun of anything, but rather people are expressing which way a t-shirt they want to buy should look. Coach will earn money on the tshirts so sure he will listen. I'm pretty sure everything said so far was meant as constructive critique, even if some irony around the badass tribal style was involved. Obviously people are appreciating coachs work, if not they wouldn't buy the t-shirts or the book or stick around the forum. WITH that being said, thank you for putting work into the tshirts and thanks for listening coach.

Michael Traynor

True Jeff and we really do appreciate all that Coach has done and is doing for us of course!

Although the logo and client info in the bottom left suggests it is a concept design from and external agency based on a design brief from Coach and ultimately if through our suggestions coach has a design that sells by the truck load and makes him a wealthier man to help pay him back for all he has so generously given to us with his time then i'm sure that will be better in the long run.

But of course and I will reiterate, thanks again for so much Coach :)

EDIT: Ninja'd by Razz ;P

Has it yet dawned on anyone that this design didn't just fall out of the sky. Coach actually put a lot of time and effort into making a shirt for us and you can say is "change this or take out that". I cant help but to think Coach feels a bit insulted by all of your comments, hence why he has not responded to any of the above posts. Try to show some appreciation.

Business is business. Along with purchasing some new rings from Coach Sommer, and then the final volumes of books and not to mention the second edition of the first book, I will be sending plenty of money his way and gladly so.

If he didn't want feedback then he wouldn't of asked for it.

When businesses put together focus groups for the purpose of conducting qualitative research they don't get all sad about it if the product gets negative feedback. The listen and change to the demands of consumers. CONSUMERS ARE KING. Not the producer.

Joshua Naterman

I don't know Jeff, it seems like a lot of useful feedback. I guess that we may have gotten off topic with the discussion about what we like on t-shirts, but as far as the designs being presented by Coach I think there has been good, constructive feedback for the most part. I think it's pretty awesome that Coach is going through and looking seriously at putting t-shirts out there, and I hope we haven't come across as unappreciative of that effort! I certainly didn't intend to come across as though I could make a better t-shirt, but I know what I like about the designs and what I didn't, and I shared some of my thoughts. It will always be a bit difficult to figure out this stuff just from concept art, everything looks a bit different on real fabric.

In the end, Coach will develop whatever t-shirt he feels will represent his program the best and then quite a few of us will probably buy it. I do not know how we have affected that process, but feedback was asked for and feedback has been posted. I guess at this point we will wait to see what appears in the store at some point in the future!

Coach, if we HAVE offended you I certainly apologize for anything I said that contributed.

Grissim Connery

i enjoy the red and green (especially the red) b/c i have too many black shirts.

I like the iron cross. If you made more shirts in the future, i think different static holds like the planche are nice visuals in addition to this one.

not a fan of the tribal for the same reasons as other people stated. i think something that looked more refined would be appealing.

Gentlemen,

No offense has been taken, as I know that no offense was intended. I was indeed asking for constructive criticism and appreciate your taking the time to share your critiques and comments with me.

However, I do hope that you apply yourselves as earnestly tomorrow to the GB WOD as you did on reviewing the graphic design!

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer