Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Box Press HS

Alexis Solis

I don't really understand how to do this one. I've already read Coach Sommer's description but I don't get it =/. Could anyone post a video please?

Thank you!

Alexander Moreen

Did you read the section of the book on box headstand pushups? Get in the top of that position and press to handstand from there. Use a higher or lower box to adjust difficulty.

Don't start a new thread in the workout of the day section. Next time put your post inside the thread for that days wod

• 2 months later...
Gerald Mangona

I'm not sure if this is a skill issue or a strength issue, but I can't "press" into a handstand from an elevated box. It always turns into me "kicking" into the handstand. Do I just need a taller box? I'm already starting 2' off the ground and still can't do this. At this point I'm thinking it's going to be me starting with a 5' box and just slowly bringing my feet over my head.

Am I missing something? Or is there a better way to scale these for the WOD?

Thanks,

JM

Gerald Mangona

Also, to give you an idea of my abilities, I can hold an HS against the wall for 80-90s before failure. No way can I do one freestanding. Maybe on HS WOD days it's just gonna be me holding lots of HS and HeS against the wall?

J

I'm not sure if this is a skill issue or a strength issue, but I can't "press" into a handstand from an elevated box. It always turns into me "kicking" into the handstand. Do I just need a taller box? I'm already starting 2' off the ground and still can't do this. At this point I'm thinking it's going to be me starting with a 5' box and just slowly bringing my feet over my head.

Am I missing something? Or is there a better way to scale these for the WOD?

Thanks,

JM

I'm just the same, I feel like balance and straight arm press strength are limiting me.

The first time I saw them coach has said in the description "if you can't press to HS, press to Hes" which I decided to do after falling shins first onto a chair. Maybe gatherings by a wall could be a good substitution too (despite straight and bent arm strength being unrelated). I'm not sure about shoulder stands, I think gatherings would probably be better to aim for

Troy Rodriguez

I have to say a few things and i usually never post much as there are many people more experienced on this forum but here goes.

I have been working on free standing HS for about 1 year now very occasionally yet only in the last few months have i dedicated more time to the skill. The good news...I can now hold a 15 second fs HS pretty regularly and i just started seriously attempting Press to HS.

Over the last two months I became aware that I could do RLL in Pike position from HeS pretty easily. 3 sets of ten was tough but doable. So i decided to try press to HS against a wall...it was like and alien movement that my body didn't comprehend at all. It felt like my brain couldn't even begin to tell my muscles what to do and which to activate to get my legs off the floor!

So I then took some advice from members here and elevated my head and did a couple weeks of RLL in Pike with my head elevated about 4" higher than my hands...(two folds of a panel mat). I could not believe the difference in difficulty. I went from an easy 3x10 to 2x5 MAX! So i did that for a couple weeks...

Just this week I decided to try it off about a 2' mat with my legs starting in straddle...after some serious struggling with my brain on letting which muscles know to activate...I won! I pressed to HS for all of 2 seconds before I freaked out and rolled. I then proceeded to do it about 10 more times that night and it got easier the more i did it.

The down side...

I have never been so sore in months as i was for the next two days...and i'm on 5mg of Fish Oil a day regular. I took a couple days off and tried today and it as easier again from a bit lower object as well. So here are my thoughts...

Since it is still a very very difficult skill for me I have decided to work it once a week for 10-12 reps off a 2' mat for 4-8 weeks. Also during that time I am going to be working RLL pike from HeS with my head elevated 4-6" for sets of 8.

The reasoning...Obviously my muscles being that sore meant that I was not completely ready for that kind of effort on a normal basis. I also want to be very careful that I do not cause any undue stress on my lower back by trying to force the movement before i am muscularly developed enough to sustain it. I have learned over time that the slow road, though less exciting, usually leads to better results and less down time.

So I know exactly what you are talking about and i can say from experience that it just takes a lot of time and working the progressions. Here is what I did, I can't give time frames but I can give the order of my achievements.

HeS static holds

HeS straddle to straight

HeS straddle RLL against wall

HeS pike RLL against wall

HeS straddle RLL FS

HeS pike RLL FS

HS press from 2' mat in straddle

During all of this I was also doing HS stomach to wall for time (never more than 60s), and FS HS for 5 minutes a few times a week. Since I also coach I had to show "superman"/"arch body" to many many students as well so that didn't hurt.

Hope something in here helps...i'll stop ramblin' now. :oops:

Alexander Moreen

To JmanDetroit

You need a higher object to press off of. Get into a stomach to wall handstand with you hands about 4-5 feet from the wall, the lean forward with your hips stacked above your shoulders while letting your feet trail down the wall. Eventually you will find a point where your legs leave the wall and that's when you lift them, the reverse the motion and lower your feet back down in a controlled manner. Do not try to lift your legs before they are in the air under your control, it wont work otherwise.

Try doing that for a couple weeks playing around with how far your hands are away from the wall. When you can do it with your legs at about 90 degrees then try it off of a box again.