Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Scapula Stabilization

Philip Chubb

Hey guys,

I've read that a good handstand needs good scapula stabilization. Does anyone know what this is or how to achieve it? I do Ido's scapula routine every time I do my prehab but I do wonder exactly what it is for and how it will help my handstands as well. Any ideas?

It's the strength of the muscles that move the scapula.

You achieve it by strengthening the muscles that move the scapula.

For handstands, we also do specific drills like the handstand wall runs to improve scap stability. Of course, the handstand itself helps as well.

Another important muscle for scap stabilization is the serratus anterior. It's often weak and is strengthened by exercises such as scapular pushups and its variations.

There's more to it than that but thats the jist.

Thank you! In addition to strengthening the muscles that move it, is there somewhere specific that the scapula should go when performing a handstand? Should I try to make them touch or create distance?

When you do the band routine, feel what the scaps are doing, Even feel free to experiment with them as a way to educate your body to the way the shoulders move.

I rarely here anyone talking about the scaps squeezing or widening. In yoga many teachers say to broaden the scaps, but this is more a tool to get the serratus anterior to engage. Doing this at the same time pull the blades to together and you will have zero net movement only tension.

The thing that you do want to do is lift the shoulders towards your ears. Mikeal describes this as feeling your traps are two tennis balls lifting to your ears.

Ah I see. So it is just enough tension to keep it from moving. Thank you. I will try it and have my circus instructor critque it next time I see her. Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...