Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Coach?

Newguy

I have recently discovered that I can do a handstand on my finger's while quite hard they are not so hard as one would think, they are not to much harder on your fingers than most of the statics. So coach, do your athletes do fingertip HS's? what are the benefits to them. And would it be an efficient use of my time?

Very much appreciated,

The only very slightly "New"Guy (Okay, maybe a bit newer than I would like to think :lol: )

If you aren't finding it hard it's because you've been doing something else that strengthened that. It's not something that anyone can just start doing

We never found it necessary to do more than the wrist series we use. I've played around with fingertip handstands, and I agree that they are not as hard as one would think (obviously should not be attempted unless fingerstrength is already very advanced). I find that the balance to hold the handstand is the hard part. When it comes to an efficient use of your time I personally would say no. I decided to not pursue them further when I was in the handstand and wondered what would happen if I fell forward....it seemed to me to be a fairly risky exercise. I also don't really see benefits being that much better than your regular static positions. I would say it would not be worth the risk.

If you do decide to continue working it I suggest you be very cautious and take your time.

We never found it necessary to do more than the wrist series we use. I've played around with fingertip handstands, and I agree that they are not as hard as one would think (obviously should not be attempted unless fingerstrength is already very advanced). I find that the balance to hold the handstand is the hard part. When it comes to an efficient use of your time I personally would say no. I decided to not pursue them further when I was in the handstand and wondered what would happen if I fell forward....it seemed to me to be a fairly risky exercise. I also don't really see benefits being that much better than your regular static positions. I would say it would not be worth the risk.

If you do decide to continue working it I suggest you be very cautious and take your time.

Okays, Thanks for the input Dillon. Based upon what you have said I think I will not do any real training with this for the next while, not until I master alot more of the BtGB exercises. Although I think I do have the Fingertip Strength, and it would be pretty fun/interesting to try and see how far I could take this (I.e remove fingers once I get extremely comfortable with 10)

Thanks for the info, again everyone!

The Newguy

When you kick up how far do your fingers bend in? Can you do fingertip pushups without letting your fingers bend at all? This means that only the tips of your fingers are in contact with the ground. I found this to be a lot harder than letting the fingers bend in. It gets harder the closer you bring your fingers together. These are some things you can try to continue to build finger strength. I would say the handstand would be the final fingertip progression. Think of it as the maltese for fingertip strength. Which means make sure you have mastered all other fingertip exercises before focused work can be started.

Actually I have only tried pressing up into Fingertip HS's, I did not want to try kicking up, because that would drastically improve the chances of something going wrong. Hmm Now that you mention it, I do bend my fingers when doing it, I bend them to the first line (Joint) on each finger. Do you mean HS Pushups? I can only do a partial negative HeSPU On my fingertips, with the afore mentioned finger bending. Okays, I got awhile left to go, until I can get the proper form Fingertip Maltese...

Thanks

The Not So Somewhat, Newguy

Joshua Naterman

I noticed that my fingers bend a good bit when I kick up into fingertip handstands, which I do occasionally. I think they can be good for hand strength and particularly clawing strength for martial artists who practice such things (which I think is a brilliant idea if you are truly training for combat) but like Dillon said, there are an awful lot of things you should be able to do first.

Can you do fingertip pushups without letting your fingers bend at all?

Newguy, when I asked this question I was simply talking about regular pushups using your fingertips.

Slizz, I recommend you start working on trying to keep your fingers straight in the regular wrist series before you keep working the fingertip handstand. It will also work better with the martial art aspect as like you told me in a previous post you don't want your fingers to bend in when you connect. Maybe a way to build up to the handstand would be to elevate your feet making sure you can keep your fingers straight. Keep running SSC cycles until you get up to a wall handstand. Again the first step would be the regular wrists series with all fingers straight.

I'm still able to do hopping fingertip pushups for reps and I can still do thumb and 4,3,2, and 1 finger generally from pinky to index. I used to be able to do thumb and any finger or just thumb but I haven't just tried fingers in a long time.

Anyways, getting back to it I found that even doing a support hold on fingertips was a world of difference, especially if I tried to then do an L-sit. I can kick up to fingertip handstands but the balance is tricky.

Joshua Naterman
Can you do fingertip pushups without letting your fingers bend at all?

Newguy, when I asked this question I was simply talking about regular pushups using your fingertips.

Slizz, I recommend you start working on trying to keep your fingers straight in the regular wrist series before you keep working the fingertip handstand. It will also work better with the martial art aspect as like you told me in a previous post you don't want your fingers to bend in when you connect. Maybe a way to build up to the handstand would be to elevate your feet making sure you can keep your fingers straight. Keep running SSC cycles until you get up to a wall handstand. Again the first step would be the regular wrists series with all fingers straight.

I agree. That is my focus. I pop up into a fingertip handstand maybe 1-2 times a month just to see if it feels different, but I realized two weeks ago that no progress can be made by starting in one. Maybe at some point in the future fingertip cast wall walks... :lol: What you have suggested is a good idea and is what I'll be following.