Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hanging Leg Lifts

Zac Rhyne

Are you an Olympic Weighlifter or just a lifter?

Sounds like some nice poundage. What do you weigh in at? Within the last year I was able to pull a few HLL L to V and was around a 250FS@165ish. Soft, I know. I should be more around 150+ (5' tall).

Nice. I'd like to compete as well but need to sort out some things first as a locale, besides getting more rest and more food in me. I'm looking to drop down under 152 to compete in 69's vs 77's.

Alexander Moreen

I would imagine that the bottom of a front squat stretches out your hips pretty well with 315 on you, so to me it would seem to be more of a flexibility issue more than a strength issue.

Joshua Naterman

It seems to me like it is active flexibility that is the limiting factor. Not only must your muscles be able to lengthen enough to attain the position, you must be able to relax your back and hamstrings enough to get into V from L while maintaining core stability and arm support. It is hard. For me, it is a combination of lack of muscle control and lack of actual flexibility that keeps me from being able to do a proper V sit, but I can lift from L to V in a tuck. If you notice, this is actually an exercise in BtGB. L sit lifts. The V ups and straddle v ups in my warm up have been a big help.

California is pretty awesome. I was in Norcal where there was an active community and it's big in the Bay area. I know it's around in the LA/OC area but dunno about SD.

The other day I had hoped to work L to V lifts but I found it just was not going to happen. Not even L to tucked V. I think the FSP warmup crushes my core too much right now for any FBE later on. Dunno.

Joshua Naterman

It's certainly possible, those are pretty good front squats. They really are pretty tough without a belt, I lift that way as well. I will have to see if I notice anything when I start cycling front squats into my leg days. Currently I have been working on my starting strength and low-level plyo work and the speed is coming back! Oh snap! So it will be time to work in a strength day once every 8-12 days or so.

After I first tried front squats I remember thinking "This is the only way to squat" haha. Those are some impressive poundages for your weight. I know how much pressure is felt on the abdominals during a front squat but I don't remember it carrying over to any ab work at all, although I never had a hard time with hanging leg lifts. And this was after I increased my front squat by over 70 lbs. The reason I am mentioning this is because I think for those who can already do a hanging leg lift and v-sit (I think most on here can do them), the front squat might not carry over much if at all to further the strength in exercises like the leglifts.

Would be interesting to see how many people with front squats above 1.5 bodyweight could do the hanging leg lift without training them, I suspect quite a few.posting.php?mode=edit&f=13&p=41730#

EDIT: On a separate note there should be some kind of standard of abdominal strength. Most lifts/exercises have a standard where you are no longer a beginner BTGB exercises here, double bodyweight for the deadlift, 1.5 bw, bodyweight military press and snatch. What's a good past beginner standard for ab strength? Abwheel? V-sit? Front Lever?

1m L-sit. Beginner, maybe 15s if I think-beginner. But I prefer 30s for my lil guys.

Hollow hold, 1 minute. For a beginner, at least 30s but preferably 1 minute.

• 2 years later...

After I first tried front squats I remember thinking "This is the only way to squat" haha. Those are some impressive poundages for your weight. I know how much pressure is felt on the abdominals during a front squat but I don't remember it carrying over to any ab work at all, although I never had a hard time with hanging leg lifts. And this was after I increased my front squat by over 70 lbs. The reason I am mentioning this is because I think for those who can already do a hanging leg lift and v-sit (I think most on here can do them), the front squat might not carry over much if at all to further the strength in exercises like the leglifts.

Would be interesting to see how many people with front squats above 1.5 bodyweight could do the hanging leg lift without training them, I suspect quite a few.posting.php?mode=edit&f=13&p=41730#

EDIT: On a separate note there should be some kind of standard of abdominal strength. Most lifts/exercises have a standard where you are no longer a beginner BTGB exercises here, double bodyweight for the deadlift, 1.5 bw, bodyweight military press and snatch. What's a good past beginner standard for ab strength? Abwheel? V-sit? Front Lever?

Wanted to chime in at this point. I fell 5kg´s short of doing a 1,75 x bw front squat couple of weeks back. Pretty happy with the result, but the 1,75 x bw is the goal for this fall.

I´ve done hanging leg raises occasionally, but not that often that I could really say that I´ve trained them. During a workshop last weekend I got some proper instructions executing them. On a straigth bar I can do them somewhat good. not nearly perfect, but I´d still say that they count.

On a stall bars it proved to be another ball game! I can reach a bit less than 45 degrees up from parallel. This migth come down to shoulder mobility as well besides being weak in compression work.

I can post a video later on, if you´re interested.

Honestly, my FS has gone up a lot since I switched to Olympic Weightlifting as a focus. It's gone up about 75lbs in 2 years. 

Unfortunately my L work sucks. My hip flexors/quad fail way before I feel any hate on my abs. 

HLL isn't so bad as the static L work. I can do about a zillion Kipping Toes to Bar, CF style still.

HLL from L sucks hard though. It still isn't as bad as the static ones but it's definitely something that I'm not as good at anymore.

I could practice them more but I barely get around to doing BW stuff on my 1 off day much less every day. By the time I'm finished with my scheduled workout, I just wanna go home and eat and not stick around and do more assistance stuff.

Hangry has come and to home I go.