Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

develop the handstand on the rings

Alessandro Mainente

Alessandro Mainente

hi, there is a progression that i must follow to achieve this skill? consider that i don't have the access to particular equipment...

so...with some homemade equipment..how i can do it progressively?

Well it sorta goes like this:

HS with feet around straps

HS with feet on the inside of straps

Play around with removing one foot or slowly tapping feet together and back to the straps until you can balance.

It takes a loooooooooooong time to learn so you should probably prepare for some falls eventually.

Michael Traynor

Set your rings nice and close to the ground, I guess this is presupposing you have a solid freestanding HSPU?

• Upvote 1

How long should you be able to hold a handstand against a wall before progressing to xr handstands with feet on straps?

Michael Traynor

against the wall meaning that you are leaning against the wall or are you able to HS free standing using the wall occassionally to aid balance?

Ring handstands are completely different than floor handstands, and no amount of floor handstands will make your ring ones better. That being said if you can not hold yourself in the proper handstand position on floor, there is no way you will be able to on rings.

Hope that makes sense.

Alessandro Mainente

the handstand on the floor or on the wall is not a problem, anso the free hanstand push up..

on the wall i can hold it fo 3 minutes and half

on the floor at at least 2 minutes, without walking on the hands, and with locked elbows...straddle position or with united legs is indifferent for me

yuri marmerstein
Ring handstands are completely different than floor handstands, and no amount of floor handstands will make your ring ones better. That being said if you can not hold yourself in the proper handstand position on floor, there is no way you will be able to on rings.

Hope that makes sense.

yep, this is all too true. Right now I am more solid in a one arm handstand on floor than handstand on rings. Though I don't work rings handstands very often.

Really there is really no way to prepare for ring handstands other than doing them a lot. If you are not used to rings then spend plenty of time building up a solid pushup position and support/l-sit on them.

For the handstand, concentrate on turning the rings out and pulling your shoulders back. to actually balance, you are going to be moving the rings forward and backward underneath your center of gravity using your shoulders. It is very difficult so be prepared to fall on this one a lot

It is very difficult so be prepared to fall on this one a lot

This gives me the fear. You see, my set up (right now) is such that if I fall, I'm going to come crashing into a concrete wall, floor, and sharp cornered squat rack. The hardest part is getting into the handstand, which I do by getting into a headstand and "climbing" up the straps with my feet.

Would it be a good idea to wait until more ideal conditions arise, or just get someone to hold the rings steady as I kick up?

You will fall once you start taking your feet off the straps....I still fall. I would recommend a safer area.

I guess that means waiting another eight months...and purchasing some sort of mat...ah well.

get an old futon or mattress or a bunch of cheapo couch pillows from Target. Or just hang them from a tree or playground. Ground or sand isn't exactly comfortable to land on but it's better than metal stuff and a wall.

Alessandro Mainente

i use very very old bed....in this way when i'm toooo tired i fall down and i sleep immediately :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

How helpful is one of these?

handstand-trainer.jpg

I know nothing is a substitute for the real thing, but our gym has one or two and it's an interesting experience. And right now I can't get into ring handstands because the pressing hurts my chest.

Michael Traynor
get an old futon or mattress or a bunch of cheapo couch pillows from Target. Or just hang them from a tree or playground. Ground or sand isn't exactly comfortable to land on but it's better than metal stuff and a wall.

This is good advice with low rings for HS practice, just don't mistake matresses for crash matts as you can do some serious damage to yourself putting too much trust in mattresses as this is not what they are designed for, particularly tumbling and coming down from high rings in a hurry.

Don't get me wrong infinitely more preferable than concrete, just be careful that's all. :)

Joshua Naterman
i use very very old bed....in this way when i'm toooo tired i fall down and i sleep immediately :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

HAHAHA!!! Interesting cure for insomnia... :lol:

yuri marmerstein
How helpful is one of these?

handstand-trainer.jpg

I know nothing is a substitute for the real thing, but our gym has one or two and it's an interesting experience. And right now I can't get into ring handstands because the pressing hurts my chest.

I personally don't find them very helpful. Handstand on one of those is pretty easy to master compared to an actual ring handstand