Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Books

Philip Chubb

I wanted to know if anyone had read any good books about massage. I am looking to get into this field among other things later, but wanted to see if anyone had read any good books on it to start me off. Particularly about massage for correcting imbalances or deep tissue or sports ect.

Also, would anyone else be interested in starting a thread about good books to read? I'm sure a lot of us here are some very regular readers and theres a lot of good knowledge out there. It would be nice to have a place to know which ones are really helpful such as BtGB and The Paleo Solution. Anyone interested?

Do you have specific questions about massage or are you just looking for an overview? I did a bit of massage school I could probably give some help there.

What you're looking for with correcting imbalances is called structural integration. It's generally post-license training and around three years for a quality school. I can tell you though, it's amazing. I learned some basics from my former fitness manager in flagstaff who did that for a living. Also about a month before the seminar, I started working with someone down here in Phoenix and the results in most cases were instant, permanent, and fixed problems I didn't even know I had.

Sport masssage is more a collection of philosophies and techniques. Some modalities, like Russian are very strict in the order and timing of the body work, while others are closer to injury massage + integration.

Structural Integration and Rolfing are very similar SI is an offshoot. The classic book to start with is Anatomy Trains, which is also just a great book for anyone interested in the human body. Tom Meyer also has a great set of instructional vids also under the Anatomy Trains name, google will help you find these resources.

Hey thanks guys! I'll look that book up. I am definitely trying to expand my library and an anatomy book would be great. And thanks coreathlete! Massage is something I want to do as well as physical therapy. I'm guessing they are somewhat interelated so there's some cross over?

I second the recommendation on Anatomy Trains. As far as cross-over, there isn't a ton. Many PT's I know refer out or have an in-house therapist specializing in injury massage. I'll admit, I'm not up on the latest in that field, but what my clients have gone through is more like micro-level strength training with a few odds and ends mechanisms thrown in.

Sadly as Core stated there is very little cross over. Personally i think that there is room for a more integrated approach and am sure that as an individual you can incorporate both into a more seamless, holistic method.

I do like Gray Cook and the FMS system he has been developing getting the clinicians and therapists communicating. Though i don't believe this includes massage the concept could be carried over to it. SI/Rolfing in particular.

The current system has far too many holes and leaves the patient confused and on his own far too soon.

Thanks! That is my idea to one day be able to help clients in whatever way possible. With either training or physical therapy or massage. Also goes along with starting a movement based gym. I will definitely add that book to my list as well. Now I can't wait from my next shipment from Amazon!

Its great to hear there are others thinking like that!

If you do decide to get Anatomy Trains, you might also make sure to get some more basic anatomy book, you know one with pictures and labels of all the muscles bones etc. because Anatomy Trains does assume you have a good knowledge of general anatomy, you might find yourself looking lots of anatomy terms up, but its worth it.

You have the same idea? That is too awesome! It is about time people started really making the fitness world a bit more connected.

That is a very good suggestion Mr. Brady. I will eventually go into Anatomy in school so I might as well start now. It would probably even help. Do you h ave any recommendations on basic books as well?

Are you looking for a full-on anatomy book or more to learn the muscles and such? If it's the latter, you can find anatomy for artist books for much less; and with only an exception or two they have clear and detailed drawings of most everything you could want.

Well I'm guessing the latter would be good. But I will have to take classes later anyway. Perhaps I might as well jus get a good but still basic anatomy book that will get me ready to get into that program in my school.

Generally there are two types of anatomy books to choose from, Anatomy Text and Anatomy Atlas. They can run upwards of 60 dollars so if your like me you'll think first.

If you are planning to go to school they will certainly require a text so in a way buying one now could be redundant. With an Atlas, which is mostly drawings, they are all different so even if you had to buy a second one for school they would wind up complimenting each other more. I'd choose an atlas first if budget is an issue.

There is also an excellent resource, The Anatomy Coloring Book which has a bit of verbage in addition to the drawings, just enough to get the basics and not have your head swimming. I'd make that your first buy, if you find it interesting than invest in a more detailed atlas as they will have much clearer images than the coloring book, which is designed more to help you memorize and visualize.

Fundamentals of anatomy and physiology by Martini & Nath is a really thorough book and it comes with a very nice atlas aswell as a CD that has 'games' to learn more A&P. Very good IMO.

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I will look into all of them and start saving now for a few. Should be a great expansion to my library.

The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook is also an excellent resource to have on hand.

Thank you. I had also heard good things about that one as well. If you believe it is good as well, I will add it to my library.

Well it inexpensive and gives a good functional over view of the body. Just don't take the premise too seriously, trigger points are real but its not the one stop miracle presented by the book. However if you want to get into massage therapy you do NEED to know about them and for what ever reason they are not really part of most body workers repertoire .

Well it inexpensive and gives a good functional over view of the body. Just don't take the premise too seriously, trigger points are real but its not the one stop miracle presented by the book. However if you want to get into massage therapy you do NEED to know about them and for what ever reason they are not really part of most body workers repertoire .

Well said. Massage school will cover what you do need to know about trigger point. Honestly, I think you'll do quite well because you have drive and the desire to learn/better yourself. That's so much more than I saw from a lot of the students at massage school. It's a field with a lot of potential for someone with the right mindset and work ethic. And it's hugely rewarding, most especially going into the injury or correctional side of things.