Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Perfect Pre, Mid, and Post Workout Nutrition

Joshua Naterman

Christopher Denzer

After reading this entire thread, I wonder if my GB workouts require this level of care and attention to pre,peri and post-workout supplementation. I'm doing a 6-day typically 45m workout along Coach's prescribed programming (M-Core, Tu-Stretch, Wed-Leg/Stretch,etc). The workouts are demanding, to be sure, but is all this supplementation necessary? I train fasted, very early in the morning. Am I just spinning my wheels by not doing BCAA's, protein shakes, etc?

• Upvote 1

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

You're not spinning your wheels. Supplements supplement. If you're eating enough protein, fats, and carbs, and are recovering well and making good progress then don't bother. Those things are really just extra or party tricks, if you will, unless of course you're an elite athlete (at which point everything would likely be very dialed in and those added supplements would likely make a relevant difference).

• Upvote 4

Christopher Denzer

Cheers, Daniel. The last thing I want is to get stuck because I'm not crushing a protein shake every 3 hours. :facepalm:

• Upvote 1

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
28 minutes ago, Christopher Denzer said:

Cheers, Daniel. The last thing I want is to get stuck because I'm not crushing a protein shake every 3 hours. :facepalm:

Lol. I wouldn't worry about it. I try not to supplement much myself, but if I get in my workout earlier in the afternoon, I'll usually make a protein shake if it's still a few hours before dinner (somewhere between 7 and 9 pm). I'll throw protein and BCAA's in there. If I happen to be hungry when I'm working out, I might have some BCAA's in the water I'm drinking. In the AM if I won't be getting to breakfast within the first 2 hours of waking I might have a tbsp of MCT oil in some water. Beyond that, I just am sure to follow the Thrive goals for each meal and each day and take some zinc, vitamin D (AM only), and magnesium with my first and last meal of the day. All of that, of course, is extra and not necessary, so I don't follow it to a T. Doing any more than what I wrote (read: biohacking) is a little too neurotic and hard to tell whether it's actually accomplishing anything beyond the placebo effect. 

Of course, if you do have a medical condition of some degree then you best to be on top of that (prediabetic, codependency, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, etc.).

Christopher Denzer

Curious; why zinc and magnesium? I saw Ido Portal recommend that on this forum years ago.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Both get depleted from training and stress. From what I've read they help with a LOT of metabolic and hormonal functions in the body. Magnesium helps with relaxation, too. It can help different parts of the body depending on what type of magnesium it is. Typically, you would get a fair amount of these in your diet, but I'm fairly certain that I don't. Just based on how I feel and lifestyle.

Given that Ido recommended them on his website, though, I just might stop using them on principle. I can't stand that guy--physically impressive sure. But almost all of his info is not his own, yet he gives very little credit to those from whom he received it and butchers it in the process. He is so full of himself and acts like he is the best thing since sliced bread to happen to fitness, even though a lot of what he says makes absolutely no sense unless you translate his metaphorical way of speaking into something coherent: see this keyboard, this keyboard I'm typing on? It's not a keyboard, but a movement principle--a practice. Don't be a bodyweight douche, dude [he says, as he ironically uses the word dude and follows it up with posts of himself doing ring front levers and one-armed handstands]. I could go on, but I won't. 

Christopher Denzer

Gotcha. I will give those supplements a spin and see if they do anything. Thanks again, Daniel! Also, noticed you're in Bklyn. What part? I'm in Park Slope a lot.

• Upvote 1

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
40 minutes ago, Christopher Denzer said:

Gotcha. I will give those supplements a spin and see if they do anything. Thanks again, Daniel! Also, noticed you're in Bklyn. What part? I'm in Park Slope a lot.

Right about there Prospect Heights, 7th Ave Subway stop.

On Wednesday, January 04, 2017 at 2:46 AM, Christopher Denzer said:

After reading this entire thread, I wonder if my GB workouts require this level of care and attention to pre,peri and post-workout supplementation. I'm doing a 6-day typically 45m workout along Coach's prescribed programming (M-Core, Tu-Stretch, Wed-Leg/Stretch,etc). The workouts are demanding, to be sure, but is all this supplementation necessary? I train fasted, very early in the morning. Am I just spinning my wheels by not doing BCAA's, protein shakes, etc?

Not something to stress about at all. Coach has many times remarked that competitive gymnasts often look the way they do in spite of, not because of, their diets ^_^

Do remember that this thread was also pre foundation programming and recommendations for food intake do not necessarily take into account variance in volume, focus on mobility, etc as compared to the wod programming, and focuses on muscle strength and hypertrophy rather than prioritising soft tissue development. That's not necessarily negative of course, they are just working off different premises :)

Personally at this time of my life (after experimenting with assorted supplements and meal frequencies) I prefer the simplicity of Thrive habits more than *substantially* more time investment for that possible extra little bit, but I'm not a pro athlete either :)

• Upvote 4

Magnesium is also important Christopher, because it will prevent you from becoming potassium deficient... depending on your nutritional protocol.

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.