Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Planche push ups - vs - Handstand push ups

chingyvang

Which one is better for upper body build, Planche push ups or Handstand push ups?

I know Planche push ups are way harder to do, but say if you wanted to build more upper body strength in less time, which one shall it be?

It will take less time to build handstand pushups than planche pushups. But Planche pushups, strengthen almost all your muscles in your upper body. Handstand pushups only a few. And If you can do planche pushups, you probably can do handstand pushups.

But, depends if you want to put the time into whatever you choose.

May I ask why you wish to build upper body strength so fast?

I would hands down recommend building the proper handstand before starting harder planche progressions. Building basic strength is what will allow you to do harder variations later on ultimately leading to more strength gains. If you just worked planche from the beginning you will plateau very quickly and most likely get injured.

Planche pushups, strengthen almost all your muscles in your upper body. Handstand pushups only a few.

This is incorrect. Handstands done properly should be working everything. This is true because you must flex your entire body even your calf's in order to hold yourself in the proper position. Kiyoshi is not really wrong though, because what he was trying to say I believe is that planche pushups will work your upper body to a much higher degree than handstand pushups.

And If you can do planche pushups, you probably can do handstand pushups

When he says probably he means more likely not. Just because you can do planche pushups does not mean you have developed the balance necessary to complete a handstand pushup, as the motions are very different.

May I ask why you wish to build upper body strength so fast?

Being a former bodybuilder, I always had to sacrifice one workout for another because I had to work a muscle group to failure, so I can only incorporate one muscle training at a time to avoid over training.

But since gymnastics dont work their muscles to failure then I probably need not worry and can do both Planche and Handstand push ups in one workout?

Jonathan Nasman

I agree, they are two much different movements. Why not train both, as they will ultimately compliment each other.