Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Freestanding Pullup Bar out of PVC?

Ectomorph

I have very limited space to workout and was thinking about building a freestanding pullup bar out of pvc pipe so i can take it apart easily. I figure i'd make it like a really big parralette, with the bottom connectors having 4 pvc pipes coming out of each direction so it won't fall over. I think it should work but i'm no expert so what do you think?

Nicholas Sortino

I don't see any reason why this wouldn't work. It may not be the most stable thing out there, but as long you are doing big kips or swings on it, that shouldnt matter.

I doubt it will work. You will need a large diameter pipe to hold your weight and not flex too much. Unless you were to fill the pipes with concrete to prevent flexing but then it's hardly portable...

Joshua Naterman

Just make modular 2x4 stands with a pipe running through straps or a hole at the top. Inverted T frames will work well. You can build these about as cheaply as the PVC and it will be far sturdier.

If this is for home you'll honestly be far better off just using your rings. There's nothing you can't do on rings, really, and if you REALLY want a bar you can run a metal pipe through the rings. Not only will it be free-spinning, which will work your grip a bit more, but it will be slightly unstable.

If you don't have rings, you should really have some. You can make ghetto ones like I did, which are ok, or get Coach's rings which are fantastic.

One last option is to put two lag eyebolts into your ceiling joists and then run chain down to eyebolts that are run through a metal pipe. This will be the absolute most space efficient thing you can do and will be very, very cheap. Probably cheaper than the PVC version you are thinking about.

Thanks for the advice, I'm in an apartment so i can't drill anything into the ceiling or cement anything into the ground. And since I have limited space I would need something portable. I'll look into the suggestions though.

Joshua Naterman

You can totally drill into the ceiling, just make sure you patch the drywall when you move out. Of course, that's assuming it's wood construction. A stud finder and a very small drill bit can confirm that in no time!

If I were still in an apartment, I would get one of those doorway pull-up bars that are fairly ubiquitous these days. The ones that don't require drilling.

well my door frames are retarded and dotn work with those pullup bars. I forgot about stud finders tho that may be a good idea

Ì was considering getting squat stands, they would double up as a freestanding chinup bar. You would have to bend your legs but some stands can go quite high and can certainly handle the weight. Just do chins on the barbell.

I have a telescopic chinup bar but was worried about doing weighted work on it.

Nicholas Sortino
Ì was considering getting squat stands, they would double up as a freestanding chinup bar. You would have to bend your legs but some stands can go quite high and can certainly handle the weight. Just do chins on the barbell.

I have a telescopic chinup bar but was worried about doing weighted work on it.

If you are looking into squat stands get a power rack. Most have pull up bars built in and you can do just about any barbell exercise inside one without a spotter, which is great if you are working out at home.

I have one of those telescoping ones too and I don't trust it at all... I use it as a door stop for a sliding door now, lol.